Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

Answered!
Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

I understand that hosts should / must / have to provide a clean space before a guest checks in for their stay.

But are hosts responsible for cleaning the accommodation for the guest daily or is it the responsibility of the guest to clean for themselves daily during their stay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

You can find more information on "What's expected from guests" by clicking here 👈

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

This sucks.  I never rent shared spaces with a host because of how crazy some hosts can be.  They don't always remember you are paying for a hotel alternative, they're not just putting you up on the couch for the night...

**bleep** that! I'm sorry but you're going above and beyond as it is! These Airbnb hosts have a big head it seems, it's as if they think they're owed something. Even though it's courteous to get the hair out of the tub, it's not your job! None of that is! Why is the dude there with you? Are you both in the same house? Are you renting just a room? If so, is it just your bath or a shared bath? Sorry, this is all too weird, I travel to have privacy, to get away, to not have to clean the entire time I'm resting or having fun. If they can't handle picking up a little bit, then they're in the wrong business! 

I agree with you. I’m totally going back to hotels after a host left a bad review calling my family dirty and complaining about milk stains on her Wooden floor. 

I swept out the room, took out the trash, put dirty linen together and cleaned all the dirty dishes. The host left a mop with no disposable towels on it and that’s the only reason I didn’t mop. Perhaps, she expected me to buy them from the store myself.

long story short, I have filed a complaint and am done with Airbnb for good. After all, it costs me the same and I have to pay for cleaning as well. Then I’m expected to work on my vacation. 

That's why I'm shocked so many ppl here are fighting for guests to clean when they're getting fees to do it them **bleep** selves! It's so greedy! I do not go anywhere for a vacation to work, not even if it's someone else's house THAT I'M PAYING TO STAY IN! They are so narcissist that they don't understand, we have a choice, we will choose to stay somewhere else from now on and their big heads won't let them care, it's really sad. But air BNB head honchos are the worst of them all, bc they're allowing this BS to be done to guests, they don't care about us. Best thing to do is to take lots of pics as you're on your way out. 

I'm glad you have the money to use hotels again.  It truly is a treat to have maid service etc. that hotels can offer.  For us, we cater to the folks who can't spend that kind of money.  We charge almost half of what our local hotels charge and offer a living room, kitchen, bathroom and sitting area for that discounted cost.  We clean between guests and most guests understand that they are getting a bargain for that price and all the private space.  Works well for both parties for us. 

This is EXACTLY how it should be! I didn't hear anything about a cleaning fee, but even if you charge one, I didn't hear anything about forcing guests to do the cleaning, yet still pay the fee, so I'm really glad you are running your home like it should be ran! Thank you!

Suria2
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi Patricia, Would you expect the guest to wash and dry the linen, bath towels etc??

I understand about the vessels and floor - I and my wife are clean-freaks and can't tolerate a grain of visible dust on floor.. We clean up the utensils we use, but don't know how we can wash bath towels and dry them when there is no washing machine provided under the letting, also the host charges a cleaning fee.

We stayed in an Airbnb near San Diego. One bedroom with kitchen and livingroom area. On a busy street Host had dirty venetian blins. Heater gave me an asthma attack when it was on. As we were staying for almost four weeks we had to ask for a vacuum and then mop. Place had cockroaches. 

As an asthmatic on an extended stay, I would ask that the place be thoroughly cleaned ahead of time to the point of paying extra. Cockroaches are a hard no because of their droppings. Call air and ask to be transferred. You do NOT want an asthma attack in the US. Common sense, buddy.

Everything you do and say makes sense to me.   I do and expect the same from guests.  I do provide some breakfast items and coffee.    I expect guests to leave the place neat and clean, even though I have it cleaned after they leave ready for the next guest.  

I’m new at this and have a guest staying for three weeks. How many sets of sheets and towels should I leave? Also, I am not responsible for vacuuming and cleaning the floors etc. during their stay, correct? Thanks for your help.

I don't charge a cleaning fee and was wondering if it's too much to ask guests to strip their sheets at the end of their stay. 

I was put off completely by a long list of checkout including stropping the bed.  The  bed is tucked into a tight alcove and honestly the bed is too big for the space and was the most unckmfortable cheap firm mattress ever.  It was muggy and buggy. For what was essentialy a camping experience i did not appreciate the huge cleaning demands by the host. 

Also I did not sleep under the blanket or in their sheets as i slept ontop of the duvet using it as a bit of a mattress topper. I bring extra sheets incaae the host over fragrances the linens.  

Anyways if it had been worded " if you would like to strip the sheets place thwn in basket" i wouldnt have been so put off.  

I agree Neil, but there is cleaning and cleaning. I have had guests leave mountains of garbage in the back porch (cans are literally at the back of a small property), food all over the floor, spaghetti sauce splashed up the wall, unwashed dishes in the sink etc. I always tell guests they don't have to clean, or even strip the beds, but I expect tidy. I shouldn't have to wash other people's dishes (though I usually have to because people routinely put away dishes dirty). To me cleaning is laundering, scrubbing toilets, sinks, floors etc. Tidy means sweep up your crumbs and do the dishes.

The host of our home has signs of communication posted around asking us to empty trash in outside trash bins.

We're not doing that, we paid a $75 cleaning fee. We expect them to clean up, it was paid in advance. 

We stayed overnight we did not cook. They can dump the trash in the outdoorbbin themselves. Or pay a maid service for $75.