Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

Answered!
Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

I understand that hosts should / must / have to provide a clean space before a guest checks in for their stay.

But are hosts responsible for cleaning the accommodation for the guest daily or is it the responsibility of the guest to clean for themselves daily during their stay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

You can find more information on "What's expected from guests" by clicking here 👈

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

@Danita2  If it was mentioned in the listing ad or or in the info the host sent you when you booked, then it isn't your prerogative to not follow the instructions- by booking, you entered into a contract which included the taking out of the trash. If it was only mentioned in the form of notes in the house, then you aren't obligated to do it, but I don't see what the big deal is in complying, unless it involves going down an elevator or a bunch of stairs and down an alley to the dumpster. Many of my guests bring their trash bag down when they are checking out, even though I don't ask them to do so. It's a nice gesture.

Our host left a negative review describing us "messy people",  because she found my wife's hair in the washing room. We paid for "cleaning fee" but we did not receive the worry-free service from the host. So I proved to Airbnb that the host is wrong by Contradiction: The host received our "cleaning fee" but expecting us to clean the room. Airbnb took down her negative review and we got our refund for the cleaning service. Airbnb confirmed that it is the hosts' responsibility to clean the room if the guest paid for the cleaning service. 

I am a landlord. If the tenant paid for the cleaning service, I clean the room myself. 

Hello Hosts. If you think it is unfair, please put a notice on top of your listing: "We charge our guests a cleaning fee and expect them to clean after themselves. " I would love to see how many guests want to stay at your place. 

@Di69  There are different levels of mess. Airbnb guests are expected to leave the place reasonably clean and tidy, regardless of whether there's a cleaning fee or not. Things like washing your own dishes and making sure the garbage is in the bin, rather than strewn around everywhere are expected- cleaning fees cover the heavy duty cleaning like vacuuming, washing floors, clening windows, making sure all the counters and fridge and stove are clean, mopping the floors, doing laundry, making up the beds and putting out fresh towels and amenities. Many times the cleaning fee charged doesn't actually fully cover what the host pays the cleaner, or how much time it takes to do all these things if the host does their own cleaning.

But of course, it's ridiculous if a host marks you down or leaves a bad review simply because there was some hair in the bathroom or you left a couple of dirty coffee cups on check-out.

You do not have a standard for "reasonable clean".  Please put a notice on your listing: "We charge our guests a cleaning fee and expect them to wash your own dishes and making sure the garbage is in the bin...... ". it is fair for all of us.

@Di69  Mature, good guests who understand the difference between a hotel and an Airbnb don't need to be told basic respectful things like this. If a host has further requirements, like wanting guests to strip the beds and put the bedding and towels in the washing machine, or take the garbage out to the dumpster, they do indeed state such in their listing. If you don't feel that's fair, and more than you are willing to do, you are free to book another listing or a hotel.

One of the reasons that Airbnbs are usually cheaper than a hotel is that there is not daily maid service. Hence the expectation to tidy up before you leave and clean up your personal messes.

Again there is no definition for a "mature and good guest".  Not reasonable to wish all guests understand the hosts' expectation ("mature guests"). Either hosts raise the fees, or don't rent, or state the rules clearly. Being equivocal causes confusions and hassles, guests and hosts will fight.  

Hotel is not much more expensive and free of hassles. TBH, Airbnb is not really worth the money. 

@Di69  Yes, if you consider washing your own dishes and not leaving garbage strewn around a hassle, then hotels would be a better option for you.

I  consider the arguments and un-clear responsibilities between hosts and guests as hassles, not washing dishes. 

@Di69  Then it would be prudent to simply ask a host through an Inquiry message before you book what they expect in terms of cleaning if you find it unclear or unstated.

This was our first rental via Airbnb. I had to go thru these arguments and fights, because of these "hidden" rules and expectations. The guests are measured against the standard of being "mature and good guests", defined by the hosts.  Don't you think it is hosts' responsibility to list their expectations upfront in their listings? 

Back to my point. Please put a notice on the listing: "We charge our guests a cleaning fee and expect them to wash their own dishes and making sure the garbage is in the bin...... ".  therefore, the guests are well informed to make a decision whether to stay at your place. 

At least, don't call guests "dirty" or "messy', if you charged them "cleaning fee'. 

@Sarah977  I had not left the hotel rooms in a very messy state when I stayed in hotel either. I would put trash in the bin and don't use hotel towel to remove makeup etc.

Just as you said that we are all mature. We all have common sense what are appropriate and reasonable.

Well said, Alice595. Which brings to mind the people who do not tidy, put their grocery carts back, or aim for the bin. We have ALL done it sometime. But as adults I found the #1 cause was children. Enfants terribles. They are such a distraction!

Another is bad news. Or a quarrel. Or someone getting sick. Stuff happens. 

I am a landlord and now arguing with Airbnb hosts on behalf of guests. The fact is that Airbnb becomes a disaster when guests and hosts can not reach an agreement. There are lots of ambiguity of both parties' responsibilities. 

Example: who has the final say about what "cleaning fee" covers?  how dirty it needs to be so that the Host can review the guest being dirty? 

This is the reason that some people avoid Airbnb.  You save couple of bucks, but there are so much stuff a guest has to deal with. 

Book hotels, conflicts free. There are affordable hotels, sometimes cheaper than Airbnb, especially if you book thru phone calls. 

@Di69, You do not have anything written in your Airbnb profile. Please put a notice that says "I am a guest who will not take responsibility for any cleaning or tidying when I book a space that charges a cleaning fee." That will set expectations and let a host decide if they want to host you. It's a two way street. 

I just did. @Emilia42, would you and other hosts do the same thing?

Back to my point, please don't judge other "mature" or not, list your expectations,  it is a business. I am done with this argument. The market will have the final say.