Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

Answered!
Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

Is cleaning the host's responsibility or the guest's responsibility DURING a stay?

I understand that hosts should / must / have to provide a clean space before a guest checks in for their stay.

But are hosts responsible for cleaning the accommodation for the guest daily or is it the responsibility of the guest to clean for themselves daily during their stay?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

You can find more information on "What's expected from guests" by clicking here 👈

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146

@Di69 

I still see a blank profile for you. I don't list any expectation because I don't have any. Other than my house rules of course, which are all clearly listed. Thanks for taking a look at my profile/listings though.

@Emilia42  see my signature and private info. There no such thing in my profile setting,  or show me how to add stuff for the profile. You seem to be obsessed with my profile. 

@Di69, Yes, I am obsessed with your AIRBNB profile because that is what hosts are looking at when they communicate with us and/or host you. You disclaimer here in the community center virtually means nothing.

Currently, your profile doesn't say a thing. So go into your settings on Airbnb and click edit profile and write up a little blurb in the "Describe Yourself" section. That way whenever you have any communication with a host they will be able to reference your profile.

@Emilia42 done. I thought the argument was done long time ago. Are you happy now, Mrs Emillia42? 

@Mandi-S-Just-Business-Ro0 I agree with you. Some people just don't do reasonable things like a matured adult. They liter in the public places, leave the grocery carts everywhere or even push it to where they live.

Imagine those people use Airbnb to stay. They definitely will leave the house dirty and messy which takes much more time than a regular cleaning job needed. 

@Alice595 I don't leave hotel rooms messy either. I think hotel maids have enough work without having to pick up people's garbage they were too lazy to throw in the can, or pick up sopping wet towels off the floor. And they certainly have to deal with enough disgusting human waste, like used condoms under the bed,etc. just as some Airbnb hosts have to. But if an Airbnb guest is going to feel like it's unfair that they were given a bad review because they left the place messy and dirty, then they should stay in hotels, where they won't get reviewed.

@Sarah977  That is true. Hotel does not review guests. That is another main difference between a hotel and an Airbnb accommodation.

Agreed!

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Carmen60 I think it really depends on the length of the booking - many hosts offer a cleaning/re-supply of towels/bed change after 1 week for longer term stays.  Entirely up to you. Karen

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

I offer a bed in the lounge / living room at a low rate of AUD25 per night. The cleaning fee I charge is only AUD50 per guest / stay.

I have received a 'bad' or 'not-so-good' review today.

“sleep in lounge/kitchen people cooking keep you awake at all hours”

Accuracy feedback:
“it not share room it in lounge / kitchen”

Cleanliness feedback:
“bathroom not clean”

1. Room type
The guest did not know / understand the types of rooms available at Airbnb. When the guest arrived and stayed at my accommodation, the guest complained about people cooking in the kitchen.

2. Cleaning
I cleaned the bathroom / toilet before the guest checked in and a second time after her first day / night. I then did not clean again.

I did not clean again after cleaning twice as her stay was only a stay of 5 nights. I guess / believe I should have checked and cleaned daily.

Is the guest's expectation fair and reasonable?

The guest only paid AUD50 in cleaning fee to me. The cleaning fee is not even enough for me to hire a professional cleaner both before and after the guest's stay, yet I am expected to clean for the guest daily!

3. 'Dissatisfaction'
The guest stayed for 3 nights and even extended her stay by another 2 nights.

Its really important to be brutally honest in your descriptions. I reinforce amenity shortfalls in my rules and profile. I also suggest guests consider another place if they are looking for perfection. 

Curiously, I also strongly suggest taking your rates up. Last night I had to delete a unit due to a city bylaw. I was getting applicants that I swear had fleas. Then I posted a superior unit. What a relief! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Carmen

I think you have several issues here

1. Cleaning

I would clean before guests arrive and then if they are here for longer than a week clean and provide fresh linen/towels

It is up to guests to clean up after themselves when they use the bathroom/kitchen and you should make your expectation clear in your house rules about this.

However as the host you are responsbile for general cleaning and maintenance of communal areas. For example in my share home, I sweep the wooden doors daily make sure work surfaces in the kitchen are clean etc.

2. Room description

You list as having a shared room - for guests they would think this is a shared bedroom not staying in your lounge. You need to make it very clear in your description if in fact you are providing a bed in your lounge. If you are doing this and the kitchen is part of the lounge then you have a problem - you can't expect to go through the lounge and start cooking early in the morning or late at night if guests are sleeping. That won't create a good experience for your guests.

Some people do offer a bed in their living room but normally it is separate from the kitchen so guests won't be disturbed.

Tough one...I think in a shared space a guest has the expectation that the bathroom will be clean. If they have a private bathroom then it's their own mess! 

I expect my guests to clean up their dishes and leave the property as they found it, the cleaning fee is to do all the laundry the bedding making beds the dusting vacuuming towels it is not a maid fee it is a cleaning fee if you want maid service go to a hotel that offers it.

Carmen60
Level 2
Strathfield, Australia

I offer a bed in the lounge / living room at a low rate of AUD25 per night. The cleaning fee I charge is only AUD50 per guest / stay.

I have received a 'bad' or 'not-so-good' review today:

“sleep in lounge/kitchen people cooking keep you awake at all hours”

Accuracy feedback:
“it not share room it in lounge / kitchen”

Cleanliness feedback:
“bathroom not clean”

1. Room type
The guest did not know / understand the types of rooms available at Airbnb. When the guest arrived and stayed at my accommodation, the guest complained about people cooking in the kitchen.

Is if fair for me to be responsible for the choice / decision of the guest rather than the guest himself?

2. Cleaning
I cleaned the bathroom / toilet before the guest checked in and a second time after her first day / night. I then did not clean again.

I did not clean again after cleaning twice as her stay was only a stay of 5 nights. I guess / believe I should have checked and cleaned daily.

The guest only paid AUD50 in cleaning fee to me. The cleaning fee is not even enough for me to hire a professional cleaner both before and after the guest's stay, yet I am expected to clean for the guest daily!

Is the guest's expectation fair and reasonable?

3. 'Dissatisfaction'
The guest stayed for 3 nights and even extended her stay by another 2 nights.