Is it necessary to clean the duvet cover?

Diego33
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Is it necessary to clean the duvet cover?

How often do you guys clean the duvet cover? I have been doing it every time to be clear but I was told I didn't need to the other day by a guest. Thanks

43 Replies 43
Amber18
Level 3
Perth, Australia

Always clean all the bedding after a guest.

After every guest. To the host who said there is a fitted sheet, etc., you really don't know how the bedding was used to guarantee that the duvet cover did not touch the guest at all. If you are washing all the other bedding between guests, why would it be a big deal to throw the duvet cover in as well. 

Yes every time for every new guest. Always. Everything should be clean and fresh and newly laundered for every guest.

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Absolutely, clean the duvet coverlet after each guest, because many guest do not pull back the top sheet and sleep under the duvet cover.  I stuff my duvet coverlets with thick comforters to give that soft puffy look to the bed.  I don't wash the comforter but about every 4-5 guests, but always wash the sheets and duvet cover. I also like to get the white duvet covers because it give the room a super clean look.

Great tips!
My question is, if your guest is staying for 3 weeks, will you be required to change their sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover?
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Audrey39 

Super late response, but just saw this thread.

I host long term guests, so anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

I give my guests two options:

1. I can clean their rooms and change and launder their linens and towels for a small fee. How often I would do this would depend on the length of their stay and how often they want me to do it. For a stay of three weeks, I would suggest to them half way through, i.e. after 1.5 weeks.

2. They can do this themselves, in which case I make sure they have an extra set of everything, BUT make it clear that, if they choose this option, they just actually wash the stuff (my long term guests have access to the laundry facilities). Most who go for this option do it.

However, I recently had a guest who said she would and then used all the linens and all the towels and never washed any of it. She checked out late, even though she knew I had another guest checking in, so all that left me in a bit of a rush. Still, I always have at least three sets for every room, so I wasn't caught out. That reminded me to remind the guests!

Some guests have just given me their linens when they changed the bed and I have washed them at my convenience as they have an extra set to use in the meantime. That is a good solution if you don't want your guests using the washing machine.

As for the initial question in the thread, yes, I wash the duvet cover in between every guest. Perhaps not all hotels do this, but I don't care. To me it's just basic. Even if one guest thinks it's unnecessary, you can bet most won't agree.

Hilary11
Level 1
Boulder, CO

Absolutely. I wash every time. No big deal.

Monta0
Level 3
Boston, MA

No matter how clean the guest, I've discovered that people always leave behind some mark. Invest in a couple sets from IKEA, they're not too expensive and wash up well.

Helen72
Level 2
Newbury, United Kingdom

I am astonished that this is even a question.  Of course the duvet cover should be washed between each guest.  I would be horrified to go somewhere and use a duvet that has been used by another guest.  Very unhygenic and simply unacceptable.

Delia6
Level 4
Aptos, CA

Absolutely! The duvet cover should be taken off and washed between each guest. It does take time to button all those buttons! But I know when my guests pull up the covers, they are all clean. I do think it is important to wash all the pillow protectors and matress pad monthly too. That's just my personal expectation.

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Eeew, I'm surprised you even have to ask the question?!  Absolutely wash the duvet cover after each guest!  I iron them too!

Audrey39
Level 3
Rockville, MD

Please just answer the question without putting someone else down, this is where we should be able to ask ANY question-stupid or not. The man obviously WAS cleaning them, it was his guest that told him it wasn't necessary.
Michael833
Level 1
Marco Island, FL

As a guest I am horrified to think a duvet cover is NOT washed after each guest. That is basic hygiene period! It would be nice if hosts (especially in Europe) would supply a clean folded top sheet for guests like us that get too hot with a duvet. Hosts should have a second set of duvet covers and sheets in case of a quick turnaround if there is not enough time to launder everything. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Diego

i change all duvet cover after each guest no exception 

I have in average 10 set per apartment, as most of the apart are up to 4 guests which mean 2 bed

why i have so many it is simply i am on IB and during high season i have lot back to back booking which mean cleaners have to be fast for the turn over 

and all linen are taken to launderette for wash

Mel-And-Nadja0
Level 2
Noosaville, Australia

We wash all our doona covers. We were told by a professional cleaning company that most holiday rental companies do not. We were really surprised - I would hate to sleep under a doona cover that hadn't been washed. It's a  pain as we get all our other linen professionally laundered so we personally have to go I  properties and strip the doona covers, take them home and wash but I would rather do that than let someone sleep under a used one.