Is it normal when staying for a month?...

Answered!

Is it normal when staying for a month?...

Speaking as a guest here. Is it normal when staying for a month at a listing, to have to replenish all items like garbage bags, toilet paper, paper towel, all purpose surface cleaner (like a basic spray cleaner), etc. during your stay? I am currently in Lima in a cute little apartment for an extended period. Not sure if it is a cultural difference as well. I was just a little annoyed at having to go out and purchase these staple cleaning and maintenance type products. In the unit was basically one roll of toilet paper, one or two rolls of paper towel, no cleaning products. Not sure if my irritation is out of place, and this is normal.

Perhaps most stays are a few days or a week I'm guessing, so maybe because my stay is longer this burden shifts to the guest? Still, I was a little irritated. 

1 Best Answer

@Christopher64  It's normal that guests staying in the longer term will have to restock their own supplies, unless the listing explicitly advertises interim housekeeping service. If you've benefitted from a discounted weekly/monthly rate, or just the savings of choosing a cute little apartment instead of a serviced luxury flat or a hotel, the mild annoyance of doing your own housekeeping is one of the trade-offs.

Airbnb has no set policy on how much backup stock of stuff like toilet paper to provide for longer bookings, and there's always some debate between hosts about this. I think at least a starter pack of essentials to get the guest through the first couple of days without having to shop or do laundry is important, and while you might be expected to furnish your own detergents, the flat should at least be equipped with the hardware (broom, mop, etc) that guests wouldn't either use up or take home. 

But while your flat could have been a little more generous with the basics, I don't think it would be realistic to expect that you wouldn't have to do some grocery shopping during a one-month stay in a city, regardless of the local culture. You know that Airbnb slogan "live like a local?"  Well, there you have it. Locals go shopping when they run out of something.

Perhaps in your private feedback to the host, you might recommend (as an experienced host and guest yourself) that they stock the home a little better with cleaning materials. But when it comes time to review, take into account both the price (minus Airbnb service fee) relative to serviced accommodations, as well as the host's experience serving the international market as evident from past reviews. 

In the future, when booking a longer stay, it's always OK to inquire first about how heavily the depletable amenities will be stocked, so you can make sure there are accurate expectations on both sides. 

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12

@Christopher64  It's normal that guests staying in the longer term will have to restock their own supplies, unless the listing explicitly advertises interim housekeeping service. If you've benefitted from a discounted weekly/monthly rate, or just the savings of choosing a cute little apartment instead of a serviced luxury flat or a hotel, the mild annoyance of doing your own housekeeping is one of the trade-offs.

Airbnb has no set policy on how much backup stock of stuff like toilet paper to provide for longer bookings, and there's always some debate between hosts about this. I think at least a starter pack of essentials to get the guest through the first couple of days without having to shop or do laundry is important, and while you might be expected to furnish your own detergents, the flat should at least be equipped with the hardware (broom, mop, etc) that guests wouldn't either use up or take home. 

But while your flat could have been a little more generous with the basics, I don't think it would be realistic to expect that you wouldn't have to do some grocery shopping during a one-month stay in a city, regardless of the local culture. You know that Airbnb slogan "live like a local?"  Well, there you have it. Locals go shopping when they run out of something.

Perhaps in your private feedback to the host, you might recommend (as an experienced host and guest yourself) that they stock the home a little better with cleaning materials. But when it comes time to review, take into account both the price (minus Airbnb service fee) relative to serviced accommodations, as well as the host's experience serving the international market as evident from past reviews. 

In the future, when booking a longer stay, it's always OK to inquire first about how heavily the depletable amenities will be stocked, so you can make sure there are accurate expectations on both sides. 

Thanks very much for the thorough comments. I totally get the "live like a local," it's fine, I get it. Toilet paper and paper towel. I just wasn't sure where to draw the line - spray cleaner I still feel could be better stocked in the unit. Spray cleaner is not something I will use much of, but now I have a big bottle of spray cleaner that I have to put in my suitcase and take home? So, while I understand and agree with your points, maybe cleaning products could be better stocked. They are used less than say, toilet paper. I will take it as is and perhaps makes polite suggestion to the host.

@Christopher64  Pretty recently (maybe even after you placed your booking) Airbnb added "Cleaning products" as a tickboxed category of the Amenities list. So hosts who have recently updated their listings can put on display whether they're provided, and guests can consider it when they're comparing options. 

I think it's wise for hosts to supply non-caustic, non-abrasive cleaning fluids for guests - someone who doesn't speak the local language might buy the wrong type of product and ruin the thing they meant to clean. But I've had years of trial and error to figure out that sort of thing. Airbnb hosts run the gamut from heavily experienced hospitality pros, to total n00bs just casually renting a spare room or subletting their home for some extra cash, to multi-home investors who put more thought into real estate than service. When I stay at an Airbnb with such great attention to detail that all of my needs have been anticipated, I'm pleasantly surprised - shocked, even, and especially if it's an inexpensive place. 

Haha good to know. Good comments. I'm aware of the range of service levels. I think also there are cultural differences depending on the issue at hand. In Europe often the host, if it's a little old lady for example, will cook you a huge hot breakfast for $5 extra, which is much appreciated. While in America this is almost unheard of. When I rented a spare bedroom a few years ago, I had a guest from England who just totally assumed I was cooking her a Full English for no extra cost (the room was $30/night). I never advertised anything of the sort. Unfortunately it was an awkward experience.

In this case one might consider the local culture as well - in South America things can be pretty laid back, pretty casual, and the apartment is on the cheaper end so you just kind of make do and get what you need. Buying a few sponges and spray cleaner doesn't break the bank. But you're right, I may not get the right thing, and then also so much is left over, kind of. waste for me to buy it all and then leave it.  Not a huge deal here, was just wondering if my mild irritation was misplaced.

How about setting up a crowdfunding appeal @Christopher64  to cover the cost?

I'm sure plenty hosts here can chip in to make the two dollar fifty target.

Plus you can take the bottle home at the end of the stay too, super bonus.

@Elena87  Half a bottle of Peruvian solvent, everyone's favorite souvenir! Win-win.

There are some hosts who are bothered by guests leaving food in the fridge, but never in my life have I heard a complaint that someone left cleaning products behind. 

But I'd love to see that moment in the airport when a passenger comes through security with a bottle of bleach in their carry-on. ¡El Donald estaba equivocado sobre esto!

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

One bottle of washing up liquid (UK speak) = dish soap (US speak) does not break the bank, - £0.59 in UK, and can be used as bathroom cleaner and floor cleaner as well!  1 x 4 pack  of cloths or sponges = one for washing dishes, one for the bathroom/tub/shower, one for  the floors, and the 4th to leave for the next guest! - No need to purchase multiple cleaning products! 

Thank you so much 😊 

Jackie and jim
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Christopher64 Yes! It's normal! - 'Live like a local', not a serviced hotel!  I second everything that @Anonymous  has so excellently explained. 🙂

Certainly not looking for a serviced hotel experience here. But supplying basic cleaning products I thought was part of the package. I won't use an entire bottle of spray cleaner in a month, but I have to get it. Toilet paper, paper towel, probably not as much. Still though, thoroughly noted.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christopher64  If I were a host who did long term rentals, I would make it clear in my listing, as well as in messaging when a guest requests to book what the expectations are as far as the guest providing for themselves.

This seems simple enough to do, and as with all details, rules, etc. would avoid any misunderstandings or false or unreasonable assumptions. 

Although the host can check these things in the amenities list, if the amenities provided are different depending on how long the guest stays, I think that needs to be made clear.

Tom2861
Level 2
Whitefish, MT

Honestly, I just build those supplies into my monthly cost and provide them, with some limitations of course.  It just cuts down on the chance of a bad review and it mostly assures that the products you want used on your property will get used instead of some product you know nothing about.