Is it okay to host travelers with service animals when you are "Business Ready"?

Lee-Anne0
Level 2
Albany, OR

Is it okay to host travelers with service animals when you are "Business Ready"?

My studio is 'Business Ready' and as such, I've agreed to no pets on the property, which I abide by.  What happens when someone with a service animal wants to stay?  

9 Replies 9
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I believe there is an exception as the person can't travel without them.

I don't live in the US - but I would have thought there would be information about this on BNB or online?

If in doubt you could give them a call.

IANAL but I believe that a service animal is NOT a pet and can pretty much go anywhere a human can go. You can ask the person if the animal is a service animal, but if they say yes, you cannot demand proof of disability. Source: https://www.ada.gov/archive/qasrvc.htm

Makes me wonder how HUD rules come into play.

David
James1
Level 10
SF, CA

The laws vary somewhat state to state but the Federal ADA and Housing laws require you to accomodate a qualified "service" animal if it is necessary for the guest to function normally as the result of a "disability". You probably should NOT ask for proof or documentation. Emotional support animals are a gray area. Consult a local attorney.

To put it simply if someone with a seeing eye dog wants to stay at your place, accomodate them, no questions asked. Afterwards, clean really, really well and I would put a brief alert in my listing that I recently hosted a guest with a service animal.

Again, consult a local attorney.

@James1Why would you need to notify anybody that you comply with the law?

David

It would be to warn potential guests with pet allergy issues that there has been an animal in my place recently. That's just what I would do for my own business ready listing. Others may want to handle it differently.

Example, I host a guest with a seeing eye dog for a month. For my next guest, I get an instant book from someone with severe dog dander allergies. They picked my place because it is "Business Ready" and is not supposed to have had animals.

Best case: I learn they have allergy issues before they check in and tell them about the dog, they cancel and we work with airbnb and give them a full refund and no penalty for me.

Worst case: They arrive and have a bad asthma attack. I tell them about the previous guest with a seeing eye dog.  They cancel and demand a 100% refund. Airbnb will probably give them a full refund. Even if airbnb does NOT penalize me, I'm still left with a vacant space and a few lost days of income.

Both cases are a lot of trouble for host and guest. It's not your fault, you had to accept the seeing eye dog. The only way I see to avoid this is to put it in your decription if you IB or mention it to every potential guest if you don't do IB.

I tried to look up how many allergies there are, seems to me that you name it somebody is allergic to it. Where do you start, where do you stop?

David
Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Lee-Anne0: In your case I think service animals would be allowed and you just have to clean upon them leaving. Airbnb defines Business Travel Ready as it relates to pets as “don’t have pets living in the space while the guest is there. If a pet lives in your space, but won’t be there during your guest’s stay we ask that you’re aware of traveler’s potential allergens and make sure your listing is cleaned before your guest’s arrival.”  So host pets are excluded WHILE they are there.  I also think @Scott80 makes a good point too.

My listing qualified for Business Travel Ready but I have always allowed pets, particularly dogs. I even welcome them in the description. I suspect some business travellers may even want to bring their dogs.  Hope my feedback is helpful.

Darlene0
Level 2
Spicewood, TX

Business Ready does not allow for "pets" on the property. Service animals are not considered pets.