Is it okay to list my house if it's on the market for sale?

Alison84
Level 2
California, US

Is it okay to list my house if it's on the market for sale?

I have a second vacation home listed here and might decide to sell the house. Is it okay to book AirBNB guests while the home is up for sale?

Obviously I would not disturb guests with allowing the home to be visited by potential buyers during their visit, and I understand that I risk people inquiring about the home while guests are there... but other than that, has anyone done this with their house?

28 Replies 28
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I dont see a problem - I would just be concerned if the house sold and I still had upcoming reservations.  You would be penalized for cancelling those reservations, so just familarize yourself with Airbnb's cancellation policy.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Presumably you will only open booking a few weeks in advance of the current date?

David
Joanie3
Level 2
New York, United States

I had guest during the time my house was on the market and even after I had an accepted offer. Just keep a tight rein on calendar maybe just take bookings 6-8 weeks in advance if you think that's how long it will take from accepted offer to closing. Even though dates were blocked far out in the calendar I had inquiries. I told them the situation, kept them in mind & contacted them from my new place (4 miles down the road) when I settled in. All appreciated the clear communication although none actually rebooked at new house...yet
Joanie3
Level 2
New York, United States

I had guest during the time my house was on the market and even after I had an accepted offer. Just keep a tight rein on calendar maybe just take bookings 6-8 weeks in advance if you think that's how long it will take from accepted offer to closing. Even though dates were blocked far out in the calendar I had inquiries. I told them the situation, kept them in mind & contacted them from my new place (4 miles down the road) when I settled in. All appreciated the clear communication although none actually rebooked at new house...yet

Let me pose a couple of questions to think through: 

What will you do if a potential buyer wants to see the property while you are hosting guests? 

What will you do to clean and stage the property between guests for showings? 

What will you do if the property is damaged by a guest while you have it on the market? 

What if something goes missing and you are both showing the house and you have guests - how will you go about recovering for your losses?  

Have you talked to your agent about this?  Their liability covereage and your contract with them may be void if you have others through the house outside of their control.

@Alison84, it's not a risk I would take. And I would never agree to being hosted in a place where strangers might be arriving to have a look around. There are, among other things, security issues.

If you go ahead and offer the accommodation, you'd need to make the situation very clear to potential guests. Perhaps even offer them a special price to compensate for any inconvenience.

Linda414
Level 2
Rockaway Township, NJ

I am in the same boat and need help with this issue.  Main issue is control of the house i.e. when people are viewing it for the sale and when airbnb guests are in it.  For me I know Sundays are our open houses so I can control sundays from being stayed in by guests.  Other than that I would need additional pointers to not drive myself crazy coordinating when realtor guests are visiting and when Airbnb guests are staying.

@Linda414

Ican not think how it could work, how can you stage the property and have guests staying, can not imagine most guests would be happy about being disturbed by a Realtor.

David

It can easily work and most of the homes in my area are short term rental cabins. Realtors run across this every single day. You schedule an appointment to show your home in between your airbnb guests. My realtor says it works very easily.

Big-Bear0
Level 1
Newport Beach, CA

Well, is not a problem for me, and as long as the guests are okay.

Elizabeth209
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

@Alison84 What did you end up doing?  I have an opportunity to manage a property just coming off the market.  The owner/seller is out of state and is looking to perhaps Airbnb it until the market changes.  His property is mansion-like in a desireable part of the state.  As there is a smaller pool of buyers, I would think showing 'by appointment only' would be reasonable.  I'm curious to hear about your experience, if you did, indeed, decide to list the property while Airbnb-ing.  Thank you!

Maree24
Level 1
Portland, TN

Make sure you disclose this information in your advertisment, I found out later that my booking was on the market, then she asked if I could have people come through, I cancelled the booking and it was reported only because the host had not disclosed that her house was for sale.

Hi Maree, I think it was unprofessional for her to ask you to show the home to buyers. However, can I ask if you had reported any issue if you just saw a "for sale" sign on the front lawn and the owner did not ask you about allowing to show the house?

We continued to host AIRbnb guests while our house was on the market. We handled it by not allowing tha AIRbnb space to be viewed by a potential buyer. All buyers were aware it was an AIR property and were looking to purchase it for the same purpose so they understood completely that if they came to view while we had guests they would not be able to see that part of the house. They either made an appointment when I didn't have guests or they made do with looking at the hard copy of our listing that I printed out. Hope this helps. 

Mary

PS  Our house sold in October of 18.