Is it possible for a host to have grace on a strict reservation if the issue seems legit?

Diana983
Level 2
State College, PA

Is it possible for a host to have grace on a strict reservation if the issue seems legit?

Hello AirBnB Community!

I was curious to know whether there is an option to "forgive" a strict reservation? I've spent hours trying to locate this information without success. 

I've had a guest that has had a reservation for graduation weekend booked for several months now. She contacted me several weeks before the reservation to let me know there's a possibility they might not be coming. She didn't ask for a refund, only apologetic for any inconvences after explaining the situation.

The guest's reason for potentially needing to cancel seems legitmate to me, and I feel ethically called to forgive and refund their money if I can. We only do intermittent renting of our home for big events, so the reservation price is big $$$$. 

The main reason why I selected strict is so people wouldn't mess around with us, but it might be nice to have a "Forgiveness policy" or clearer instructions for hosts that would appreciate being able to extend grace to people who really do need it.

If it is possible to have a full refund extended to guests, who needs to make the inicitive: guest or host? And, does the decision need to pass through AirBnB?

If anyone has experience with this, I would be most grateful for some insight. TIA!

~Diana

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Diana983  If she doesn't cancel and doesn't come, you can just send her back whatever you wish through the resolution center. "Send Money". But I'd wait until you actually get paid before refunding. She may seem super sincere and apologetic, but she is a stranger, and you never know. She could contact Airbnb to try to get a full refund under the extenuating circumstances policy, unbeknowst to you, and then you'd be out a large chunk of $ if you'd already refunded.

Thanks, Sarah for your insight! -Yes, I was thinking about that, so I will message the guest to let them know they need to contact AirBnB. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Diana983 @Sarah977 if the guest cancels when you get the notice you should see an option to refund them at that point. Airbnb will take it from there.