Is it safe to rent from an unidentified identity host?

Pavita1
Level 1
Nonthaburi, Thailand

Is it safe to rent from an unidentified identity host?

I just recently booked a newly listed guest house and realized after that the host has not verified her identity.  She only has email and phone number verified.

Since I'm renting the guest house for the whole month, I'm very concerned but I can't cancel my booking as airbnb will charge me total rental fee. I've tried contact airbnb support but I got no response.

Is it normal for host to has unverified identity?
Should I ask the host to verify her identity?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pavita1  I've been hosting since 2016 and I never uploaded verified ID. No guest has ever questioned it, but at this point I have plenty of reviews that would make it obvious to prospective guests that I'm a real host with a nice place and my guests haven't encountered any negative issues.

The best way to set your mind at ease about a host is to use the messaging feature and communicate with them. If you get prompt, friendly responses that answer any questions you may have, or just to introduce yourself and get a sense of the host, and you don't feel any red flags, that's a more reliable way to assess what to expect.

All verified ID means is that someone has uploaded a valid driver's licence or some other form of ID. I never did it because it wasn't required and it never occured to me that anyone would care. But you can certainly tell the host that it would make you feel more secure if they did so.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pavita1  I had to look at my profile to see how I am verified 🙂 With phone and email as well. And I am hosting for 5 years. Airbnb has my VAT ID number but it is not showing on my profile.

Does your host have any reviews?

There is 1 review from another host (as a renter) @Branka-and-Silvia0 
She just listed this new guesthouse on airbnb, I think I'm her first renter.  The communication with host is great. fast response and welcoming. I hope nothing goes wrong, I'm checking in next week. 😅 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

You really don’t need to worry about this.

If you arrive at the house, it’s unacceptable and the host doesn’t care, just leave. Airbnb will find something else for you or refund your money.