Is my calendar blocked if I cancel a guest due to COVID19

Kylie20
Level 2
Potts Point, Australia

Is my calendar blocked if I cancel a guest due to COVID19

Hi all

I have a number of guests who booked prior to March 14 with bookings before 31 May. All 3 have indicated that they will no longer be travelling to my city and have spoken to me about cancelling their booking. However, for whatever reason, they haven't cancelled yet. I would like to cancel them. Especially one customer who is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. I would like to rebook the apartment. I am concerned that if I cancel the booking my calendar would be blocked. I have never cancelled a booking before but I vaguely remember that a blocked calendar is a consequence of cancelling. Has anyone cancelled a guest due to covid and if so is the calendar blocked. 

I have tried to call customer service but the phone lines are jammed and would prefer not to block them up with my enquiry. 

Kylie

4 Replies 4
Gus-and-Margaret0
Level 2
Ocean Gate, NJ

I have a similar problem. I had a reservation for 3 days in August. My town just banned all rentals less than 28 days. I could not legally rent to the guest. I explained it to them and offered them a 28 day stay at a greatly reduced rate. No response. I had to cancel. Those 3 days are still blocked. No response from Air BnB

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Kylie20  explain to your guests that it is in their best interest to cancel from their end in order to secure a full refund. Hopefully that will do the trick😀

@Gus-and-Margaret0 

Your situation should fall under the Extenuating Circumstances clause, but you need to get airbnb do the cancellation for you in order to avoid penalties like blocked calendar dates. With the current situation I believe airbnb  customer services will have a lot on their plate and immediate replies cannot be expected.

Barbara2244
Level 2
Sedgefield, South Africa

Hi

I have a similar situation where international guests are unable to travel into South Africa.  I have asked them to cancel, but they have been unable to do so, so I have, along with a note to airbnb explaining the circumstances.

Although the booking on my calendar indicates that it has been cancelled, it has not been opened up so that I can take local guests who are allowed to travel.

I cannot find reference to this problem in the help centre and messages to airbnb support go unanswered.  Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

Many thanks

Barbara

South Africa 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Barbara2244 Never cancel as the host - When you do the dates are blocked and you will likely be fined.

The guest was possibly economical with the truth as by persuading you to cancel they will have got all their cash back without a fight leaving you with the problem.

Sorry