Is the Fixed Rate per person per night or per room per night?

Bruce37
Level 1
Forfar, United Kingdom

Is the Fixed Rate per person per night or per room per night?

It's not clear to me whether the price I use (I'm not using Smart Price) should be per person per night or per room per night. Anyone know?

41 Replies 41
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Bruce37 Your place is lovely!! You have it listed as the entire home, so your price should be for the entire home per night. If you'd like to add an additional charge per person, you can do that by going to Calendar > Pricing Settings > Additional Pricing Options > Tick additional guests and add your charge per person with the option to add that charge after a certain # of people. 

If you want to split the rooms up and rent them out separately, you will need to create 2 separate listings and call them "private rooms" rather than "entire house". Hope that helps! - Karen

Thanks Karen. I realise that I shouldn't have listed it as the Entire Home, it's just two private rooms in my house. Can you explain how to list the two rooms separately? I've changed it to Private Room, but not sure how to add in the second room.

@Bruce37  Yes, as @Linda108 said, you'll have to create a new, separate listing for the other room. Give them separate names. Both will appear under your profile, separately. The downside to this is that your place won't show up in a search for a family wanting more than 3 beds - the kind of family that would really love to be able to rent both your rooms at the same time. It's tricky - but up to you which you prefer - to rent both rooms out to the same group (call it "entire home" but specify that you live there as well?) or to rent the 2 rooms to separate groups (as "private rooms"). Best of luck and welcome to Air BNB!

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

Bruce just understand that if you List the Entire House guests can  and will bring as many guests as you have listed. If you list a base price then per person. Guests will be charged for every guests that they bring in over your base amount. Depending on the property I have the base number of guests set at per bedroom. So If I have a 4 bedroom house, my base number is 4. If I have a 1 bedroom house, my base number is 1.  But set this up on how comfortable you feel. 

One of my houses supports 14 guests Maximum... but my base is 4 guests. Then I charge $15 per night for all guests over 4. The more guests you bring means the more wear and tear and the more utilities that are used. So just keep this in mind. 

This is not a free for all, UNLESS YOU WANT IT TO BE.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Bruce37  If I am understanding you correctly, you want to rent two rooms in your house, not the entire house.  The way to do that is to create two listings, same address but name the rooms to differentiate each listing.  Then you can choose how many people can be in each room and whether travelers can exceed the number with an extra guest charge.

I have the same problem. I have a house with 13 bedrooms that can accomodate from 1 until 30 people, but just for the same group of friends, family or colleagues. It is always the whole house, but the price changes according to the number of people. The price is always per person. Evidently I am not going to publish each bedroom in a different page, because it would not make any sense. And also it is not a hotel os B&B. Why cannot airbnb have a class of whole house which price is calculated per person? Also I have different prices per child and per adult what messes up airbnb auto calculation everytime...It is a very good site to arrange people wanting to rent, but most of the time this problem make them very upset, and sometimes really mad.

@Beatriz57  I have a shared home listing and through this Communiy Host Forum have become aware of the different in host experience for those who have shared home listings and entire home/apt listings.  I think it would be awesome if you presented your concerns in the Host Voice forum here in the CC.  Your thoughts?

Hi Linda...I thought the Community Forum where I am  presenting my concerns was the right place to present it. I also talked several times to airbnb phone assistance in US and Brazil-Portugal, but it seems that they have a hard time undestanding why it does not make any sense to publish each bedroom separately, or why not use a B&B publishing, or the "above a number of people the price is...". I did not know about this Host Voice Forum. I will try this...thank you for telling me about it.

Beatriz- you got that right - mad - very mad. I am a "guest" and on my mobile, the website apears to show 2 persons per room and a price of $179 per night. Easy right? Wrong. When I check out it defaults to 1 "guest" - seems very misleading as to what the actual price is.  So on a computer the web format is different and the price per night is a little clearer thatn on the mobile. I booked on my phone and got a confirmation, went about my business and 2 days later see I have a message requesting additional funds. 

So the host then request aditional funds for my wife.. i am getting confused as to why, and it escallated the price from $440 + an additional $247! - needless to say we had a bit of sticker shock, and now because of a stick cancelation policy, we can only get a 50% refund on top of that! 

Not being a host, what are the % fees for each additional host? Is it set by the host themselves, or is this an A-B&B standard?  Mad in Dallas 

Rachel720
Level 2
Lancashire, United Kingdom

You are correct in that listing "entire house" for a price per night is misleading if you are charged extra per guest up to the maximum occupancy. I am new to Airbnb and will be now a cautious user. Perhaps some hosts are being crafty with their base occupancy being much lower than is should be and then charging more. 

Laurence103
Level 2
Manzanares, Argentina

I have the same question! is the price for the room (two people) or per person for B@B? thankyou. None of the replies quite answer the question. 😉

Price is per room unless you specify it is for 1 person and extra guests are charged additionally under the pricing section of your listing.

Wendy164
Level 1
Christchurch, New Zealand

Could someone please answer the question of the charge being per person or per room.

Me too i am confused about that.....