Is the deadline of review based on local time?

Is the deadline of review based on local time?

Hi,

I know we have 14 days to write a review. So if the last day I can write review is June 13, is the deadline cut off time PST or EST of June 13th? I am based in California. Thanks!

Helen

58 Replies 58
Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

I guess the point of your question is unclear to me. Is your goal to wait until the 11th hour? It's a quick process. In the time that you spent asking about the timing details, your review could've been finished. 

If your intention is to make sure your guests don't see that you gave them a negative review, just write it. It's hidden until they write yours.

That's not helpful at all and quite patronizing. 

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Helen11 yes, I'm with @Andrée2.  What are you really asking?

Penny1
Level 7
Victoria, Australia

@Helen11  I understand completely what you are asking.  Unfortunately I do not know, in Australia we are ahead of the US I just know I receive a reminder if after 12 I haven't left a review I have 2 days to go, perhaps wait see what time that email comes through and then wait 47 hours to write your review also work out what time it is in yours guests time zone.

I have been in the predicament that I have had a guest who I don't think would write a favourable review since I want to leave honest reviews I sometimes need to ask questions after a stay.  This is particularly in the case of guests sneaking more guests in, and sometimes I can not review video footage of the entrance to teh apartment until after they have left and moreso I have had comments from neighbours.  And If i have outright asked the if there were more guests and they have reacted defensively I anticipate a pre-emptive retalitory review.

While waiting till the last minute a host can advise other hosts of issues raised but avoid the guest being prompted to leave a review when the guest may be writing a retalitory or inflamed review due to questions asked.

Is this the reasoning  @Helen11 you are considering?

@Penny1, that's exactly the reason I'm considering. Thank you very much! I had a guest lied about number of people staying. After I reminded him of the house rules that specify only registered guests are allowed on the property, he still had others members stayed. Airbnb has ruled in my favor , charging him extra fees. I want to leave a honest review to warn other hosts, but don't want to prop him a reaction.

@Helen11 Keep in mind, all reviews are "blind".  In other words, whether you leave a review 2 days after a guest leaves or 13 days after, the other party cannot see your review until they leave a review (within the 14 day period) or until the 14 day period has elapsed.  In that case, it is too late for them to leave a review. 

Clear as mud?  Let's say I plan on leaving a negative review  for a guest who left 2 days ago.  I write the review.  My guest cannot see my review until he leaves a review which he can only do during the 14 day period.  If he doesn't leave a review during that period, he will see my review after 14 days but will be unable to leave me a review at that point.  

So waiting until the last minute to leave a review serves no purpose. 

@Helen11 

Yeah, it still makes little sense to me. After the questioning and or fees you mention, your guests are going to be agitated and they can see how long they have to write a review too so if they want to say something negative, they just will. It happens. Extra fees will oftentimes "promt a reaction". Other times they just want to put it behind them and not deal with it at all, especially if they are in the wrong.

@Penny1 

As opposed to all the sleuthing after the fact, it might be easier and far more pro-active to simply state that you have access to the entry videos to confirm that there will be no extra guests and your neighbors do know how many guests are allowed into your space and regularly report back to you. That should be convincing enough to deter them.

I also include in my house rules that

"It is a violation of your reservation agreement to add additional guests to your reservation or provide unaccompanied access to this space without prior discussion with me. Extra overnight guests are only an extra $14/night. Please do not jeopardize your entire reservation by sneaking others in or allowing others use of the space without my approval."

This has made a huge difference.

@ Clare and Andree

Maybe I can help explain Helen's ask and clarify this strategy which can be very useful...

While you are right in that the guest cannot see their review until they write one back, a host like you and myself can usually predict if the review will be bad, average or very good. How can we predict this? Well, if the guest has pleasant interactions with you and messages positive comments during their stay then you can be safe to assume they will leave a good review.

However, if a guest is a nightmare because they are breaking your rules or are incredibly demanding and you have asked them to follow a rule and they respond with a rude comment or ignore your request, they are smart enough to figure out that you will likely leave them a bad review. The guest knows that and often they will not write a review of their host because they know their host will write one back and leave a bad review. For those guest who don't have any reviews at all, this can be very damaging becuase no host will accept a guest with a horrible review. So what happens is those guests who are clever enough will not leave a review in the hopes that you do not leave one for them. However, if they do write a review, they know that you will receive an email notification informing you that "your guest left you a review, leave your guest a review to see the review they left for you"

So this is essential a game that both hosts and guest play and rightfully so. I am a host and I recently had a horrible guest who smoked marijuana in my house. When I kindly asked her to stop doing so, she went on a tantrum and started complaining everything about the house. Meanwhile we have a perfect 5 star rating and nothing but happy guests. She then called airbnb and made false claims about the home. Why she did this is still a mystery to me, my guess is that she was incredible vengeful and does not like people telling her what not to do even though she was breaking a key rule which was incredibly disrespectful to do in someone's property.

Long story short, after she began to deflect from her behaviour by making false claims of my home, I told airbnb that I wanted her to leave and she thankfully left.

It is now day 11 and she has not left a review. The reason why is because she knows I will leave her a horrible review if she leaves any review for me. She is counting on me not writing one and thus the reason she is not leaving a review.

I am still very upset about what happened and I will wait until the 11th hour to leave her a review so that she will not have time to leave a retalitory review for me.

Hope that made sense?

@Sean433 Hi Sean, I had a very similar situation happen to me and I am wondering how this turned out for you and if you had to write a last minute review? I am also wondering what time is considered the 11th hour? Is it 11pm of the 14th day? Or an hour before their check out time on the 14th day?

Exactly - when is the 11th hour?  based on the day of checkout or checkout time...

@John280 No need to guess. Go your inbox (through desktop, not app) and pull up the conversation with the guest. On the right hand side of the screen you'll see it should say 'you have xx amount of time to leave a review'. It will actually tell you down to the minute how much time you have left, when you get close to the deadline. I discovered this by chance one day, when waiting til the last minute to leave a review for a problem guest. I wrote it with two minutes left. Now this was a while ago, and Airbnb may have changed things since then, as they are wont to do, and I haven't had to do it since. So please report back if you check this out.

Thank you! Wish I knew this last year.

Yours gives you this info? Mine only tells me how many days. Nothing down to the minute.