Is the deadline of review based on local time?

Is the deadline of review based on local time?

Hi,

I know we have 14 days to write a review. So if the last day I can write review is June 13, is the deadline cut off time PST or EST of June 13th? I am based in California. Thanks!

Helen

58 Replies 58

@John280  When I went to my inbox (via desktop), and pull up the messages, I only see DAYS, not hours and minutes.  Perhaps I need to watch until close to the end of the 13th day and look to see if Airbnb provide the minute count down you referred to.

Just curious, did you see just # of days, and when less than 24 hour remaining on the clock (closing in on the 14th day) the countdown provided hours & minutes?  

Thank you.

Obviously, they don't want to encourage the guest to write a review at all and are afraid the guest will be prompted to after being notified that she wrote one about them.  Anyone who has ever done this process knows you're notified when someone writes a review about you, even if you're not able to see it yet.  It's a straightforward question that does not warrant a condescending answer.

clare doesn't get it.

Agree.  Clare is clueless.

It can serve a purpose. I have a guest break several house rules then threaten to leave malicious untruths & a horrible review of my 5 star rated home & ruin my superhost status. The second I write a review & he sees that I have, he’s warned me what he’ll do, threatening me with “it’s your call”. I. Am. Livid. 

If a guest threatened you, you should definitely report them to AirBnb. That is in total violation of their policy.

Tj64
Level 2
Paradise Valley, AZ

It serves plenty of purpose.  Your limited of scope of response takes in no consideration for a multitude of variables.  I would recommend that you simply answer the original question or move on if you don't know the answer to help the person asking the question. "Guessing their reason" is not your role or within your scope.

And what about claiming for missing towels during the 14 day review period?  My house rules state that missing/damaged towels will be charged to the guest account.  However, I'm reluctant to do so as it may negatively impact the guest review. 

So yes, I'd like to know exactly when the 14 day review period actually ends, so I can sneak in my towel claim.... 

Thanks @Clare0 for that clear explanation of how the review process works.

However, I have found it is more subtle than that;

In the case of the original post here and in my experience, problem guests know when things went bad.  They know what they did, they know you know, they know there is tension. 

So if they see that you leave a review first, they will be prompted to leave a pre-emptive retaliatory review.  It's that simple.  

They know what they did and they hope it will slide.  If you review them, they might have to go to the trouble to create a new Airbnb profile with another email.  So they will leave a bad review to make it look like your bad review was due to you being a bad host.

Hi @Susan1188  Yep, there are ways to game the system and I must confess that I've waited until the very last minute to leave an unfavorable review knowing that by the time the guest saw it, it would be too late.  Fortunately for me I've had, for the most part, very good guests.  

We all understand the basic concept of what you're saying Clare.  It's not helpful. 

The point Helen and Penny are raising is about not wanting to prompt problem guests to realize you just wrote them a review (which they know will be negative) and then have them also write you a negative review about your property even though you did a great job hosting.  Airbnb's policy around letting guests write reviews who have violated house rules is ridiculous, especially given how important reviews are for hosts and how unimportant they are for guests, especially guests with no reviews.

it serves because if you leave a review in last minute or 2 the other part if didn't left a review yet doesn't have time to react to your review!!

Ken315
Level 3
Prattville, AL

I waited until the last, or 14th, day to leave a review.  I got an email from air bnb saying the last day to leave it was Dec 5.  I tried to leave it at 8 pm but could not.  I called bnb and was told the 14 days begins at the checkout time  of the place I stayed and is based on the place's  time zone.  My checkout time was noon EST, so I had until noon  EST of the 14th day to leave a review.  Since I live in CST,  I had until 11 am  Central time.  I judge this to be very sneaky on Air bnb's part.  The email air bnb sent me said nothing about all this.  I even called  them on Dec 3 and was told I had until midnight on Dec 5 to leave the review.   But, it was not to be.  It would be best for an individual to leave the review by the 13th day to avoid the problem I had.

Paul41
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

I have waited till the last few minutes to review some guests the trick is to look at the time airbnb   send you an email inviting you to review the guest. My check out time is 12 I often get the email at 3 . You have till 2.59 to write the review 14 days later. Becareful if there is a time change from say winter to summer. In the uk airbnb use gmt rather than british summer time 

@Paul41 

it doesn't work that way, I don't think the exact hour when Airbnb send emails is important

My check out time is at 11 h

My check in time is at 15 h

I get emails from Airbnb at 16:19 to review the guest from UK, it is 5:29 h after check out and 1:19 h after the next check-in.

( UK - Croatia is 1 h difference)

I could leave a review until somewhere between 16:00 - 23:30 , I am not sure when exactly it expired.

I get emails at 14:29 to review the guest from Canada

( Canada - Croatia is 6+ h difference)

I got emails at 7:09 to review someone from my own country.