Is the overall ratings doesnt represent feedback?

Candy104
Level 1
Jakarta, ID

Is the overall ratings doesnt represent feedback?

Today i was just shocked for the first time i knw that overall ratings doesnt represent feedback given by a guest. How can it be? The guest gave compliment and 5* in all feedback criteria but in overall ratings guest can put 4*??? Do you guys think this is fair for the host who already did extramiles to the guest just to earn 5* rating???

please change your system airbnb!!!

the overall ratings SHOULD REPRESENT FEEDBACK!!

6 Replies 6
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Candy104 

Overall feedback is separate from each category rating.

I suggest you stay at an airbnb as a guest and see the experience from their eyes 🙂

I agree with @Roberta2    Though you may have met 5s in every category for your performance, are you an Overall 5 compared to other AIRBNBs and their expectations? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Candy104  This is an issue many hosts have encountered. The guest gives an Overall rating of 4, and 5 in the individual categories. Sometimes it's because there was something that wasn't covered in other ratings that made them feel it was less than a 5* overall experience, but most often, its a matter of the guest either thinking that 5*s is something that should only be given to some luxury hotel, or that the guest just thinks they are giving the host a good rating. The guest review form says that 4*s means "Good". Guests have no idea that hosts get punished for that, so all you can do, if you choose, is educate your guests on how the star ratings affect hosts.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Candy104 There are other aspects that account for a guest's stay other than cleanliness, location, value, communication, and accuracy. 

I don't even bother with their ridiculous system. Especially since guests with no issues tend to not write a review. If your personality is not to ask for good review it is less than ideal. 

I don't have only good reviews but got bookings with good guests regardless. 

In beginning i stressed out so much. Since i offer different rooms people often don't realize that common areas are not controlled throughout day by host. If someone took shower and left bathroom mess a host won't know. 

So they compliment tour room which you control but criticize a bathroom. 

Don't stress. But it is so annoying. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tere32 " Especially since guests with no issues tend to not write a review."

That may be your personal experience, but it's certainly not true for others. All my guests but 2 since I started hosting over 3 years ago has left a review, and none of them had "issues- they all left 5* reviews. 

I'm not particularly surprised that your guests have "issues". I looked at your listing and reviews and while guests indicate that you and your family are sweet and nice, it sounds like you have tried to cram as many people into your place as possible, with little to no privacy. Guests consistently talk about the inaccuracy of the listing, how cluttered it is, and how dirty the bathroom is. If it was just a one-off review like this, I'd dismiss it, but so many of them say essentially the same thing, that I'm surprised you haven't addressed these issues or don't consider them to be of any importance. If you are going to run a hostel-type listing, why wouldn't you keep the shared bathroom clean? It's really unfair to the clean guests to make them put up with dirty guest's habits in shared spaces and equally unfair to not disclose the hostel-type situation.