Is there a 50%refund policy for guests who leave early?

Paige63
Level 1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Is there a 50%refund policy for guests who leave early?

I recently had a guest who booked 9 nights - he asked for a super early checkin 6am and a super late checkout 5pm. I granted both requests.  He then left a day earlier and asked for a 50% refund for the night he didnt stay.  He only informed me the day he was to checkout that he had left the day before,  so I had no way of knowing he was gone. I went to the property shortly before he sent me the message telling me he had gone to find it vacant.  I have responded saying I was unaware of any policy that allowed guests a 50% refund for leaving early. I also pointed out that he had not informed me prior to leaving and that even if he had, I could not have possibly cleaned the house and made it available. I also told him I would get back to him in a couple of days.    

Does anyone have any info that I would find helpful?  I have looked through the Airbnb site but did not find anything that would help.    Thanks Paige

1 Reply 1

@Paige0,

He is probably thinking of the part of the Moderate Cancellation policy where 50% of unused nights can be refunded.

When he left, did he cancel or modify his reservation?

If not, then Airbnb has no way of knowing he left early, and will not issue any refund.

You also really don't know if he left the day before.

Inform the guest that the policy he is thinking of only applies if the guest either cancels or modifies the reservation. Also tell him Airbnb is the one that handles all money issues, so he will have to take it up with Airbnb support.

It would probably be a good idea to contact Airbnb support yourself to let them know what is going on with this, to make sure they know what happened before the guest starts talking to them about it.