Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Answered!
Buffy0
Level 1
San Francisco, California, United States

Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum age someone must be, in order to rent a place on airbnb? I received an inquiry from a new airbnb user, on behalf of her family, wanting to rent my home. However, she's indicated to me that her father has asked her to seek the reservation, and that she is only 17 yrs old. I am wodering if renters need to be at least 18 yrs old? or if I shoul require that her father set up an airbnb acct, to make the reservation?

Thanks, B.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

58 Replies 58

@Rw0  Spam is not allowed on this forum. Don't post your links here.

June104
Level 2
Nevada, United States

it’s illegal for someone to deny u housing due to your age if your over the age of 18. At least in the states this is part of the fair housing act, and the host is breaking the law. 

@June104  Actually no they are not in most cases breaking the law. You need to read more about actual cases that have gone to the courts. There is a ton of information out there. An AirBnB, HomeAway or VRBO listing is exempt from the FHA rules. 

The FHA makes it illegal to discriminate in the sale or rental, or otherwise make unavailable or deny a dwelling to a buyer or renter because of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, handicap, or national origin. 42 U.S.C. §3604(f).

The FHA defines a “dwelling” as:

Any building, structure, or portion thereof which is occupied as, or designed or intended for occupancy as, a residence by one or more families, and any vacant land which is offered for sale or lease for the construction or location thereon of any such building, structure, or portion thereof.

42 U.S.C.§3602(b).

Although the FHA expressly defines “dwelling,” that definition employs the term “residence,” which is not defined by the Act. Nevertheless, courts have had occasion to define the contours of the types of properties to which the FHA applies. In determining what constitutes a “dwelling” under the FHA, courts have found that “lodgings for transient guests” do not qualify and thus the FHA does not apply to same. As set forth in Germain v. M&T Bank Corp., 111 F. Supp. 3d 506 (S.D.N.Y. 2015), “[m]ost courts that have considered the scope of the term [residence] have relied on the definition used in United States v. Hughes Memorial Home, 396 F. Supp. 554 (W.D.Va. 1975), which is a ‘temporary or permanent dwelling place, abode or habitation to which one intends to return as distinguished from the place of temporary sojourn or transient visit.” Transient uses, more like hospitality accommodations — motels, inns, hotels — are not residences which qualify as dwellings under the FHA. Short term rentals fall under this category as they are also transient visits. 

June104
Level 2
Nevada, United States

That’s interesting! Thank you for providing the case law. Airbnb does state that host can’t discriminate against age though. 

Yes, the lack of a review could be it. I tried to book at 45 and got rejected 3 times for no reviews.

I was actually just warned by Airbnb for not wanting to rent to more than 2 20 year olds at a time. Apparently I’m discriminating. Even though I would rent to TWO 20 year olds. Groups are now a protected class?!?!?!? I don’t think so. It’s high time Airbnb starts protecting their hosts!!

Some owners do not book to people under 25.  Will will book for 21 and up.  It is a liability issue usually.  

We keep an eye on the house and tenants so we don't have problems with damages, neighbors or the police.      Good luck!  https://www.vacationrentalslbi.com/listing.45 

Where can I set the minimum age for a guest?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Daniel969,

Welcome to the Community Center.

I found this article and thought you might find it useful. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

There is no place to do that. Ask that renter be verified by ID (there is a setting for that) and then add the age requirement to your rules. I would think you'd then be covered. This is what we had to do. We will never again rent to anyone under age 25. One bad seed (and all of his seedling friends ruined it for everyone else).

I agree. 

There is a huge difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old. 25 seems way to old as a minimum age

And yet you have to be 25 to rent a car!   This is our vacation home that we rent out.  We do not live next door and there has to be a way to protect our home.  

I agree. At 24 years old I was married college graduate and was working as a nurse.

racism its called

@Josiah23  I suggest you look up the definition of racism. It has nothing whatsover to do with age.