Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Answered!
Buffy0
Level 1
San Francisco, California, United States

Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum age someone must be, in order to rent a place on airbnb? I received an inquiry from a new airbnb user, on behalf of her family, wanting to rent my home. However, she's indicated to me that her father has asked her to seek the reservation, and that she is only 17 yrs old. I am wodering if renters need to be at least 18 yrs old? or if I shoul require that her father set up an airbnb acct, to make the reservation?

Thanks, B.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

58 Replies 58
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Yes, Airbnb policy and terms are that those using Airbnb as hosts or guests must be a minimum of 18 years old.  This means that someone who is under 18 cannot book a stay for themselves, or be the sole guest.  Of course parents can travel with children, but someone in the party must be an adult.  

Is this apply to all states?

Hi Deborah. Thank you for the information.  Do you know if a host can set their own age minimums?

Thanks!

Paula

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

I don't know whether Airbnb has a written policy on guest minimum age, but you can set one.  I require that all guests be adults.  In your case, I would require the father to make the reservation request as he is the one I would hold responsible for any issue that may arise. 

Does the AirBnB interface provide a means of specifying a minimum age requirement which is linked to their database thus insuring that all guests under a certain age are automatically 'filtered' or is this something that we just place on our 'house rules' and hope that under-age people read that far?

Be careful Clare,

Just because an parent come or signs the lease doesn't mean they are responsible!  We had prom groups were parents swore they were great kids, honor roll - blah,blah, blah.  The porch was filled with beer bottles and the kids were plastered along with the parent who signed.  the right of passage...  I do not have anyone under 21 in my home anymore.  Another thing is when they alkl want to sign the lease due to liability not wanted on 1 person, NO!  We keep an eye on the house and tenants so we don't have problems with damages, neighbors or the police.  Kids are a problem 99.9% of the time.  Have a higher security also when dealing with 21 year olds.  They are a breaking bunch at times.  Good luck!

@Buffy0 

Eligibility

The Site, Application and Services are intended solely for persons who are 18 or older. Any access to or use of the Site, Application or Services by anyone under 18 is expressly prohibited. By accessing or using the Site, Application or Services you represent and warrant that you are 18 or older.   see airbnb terms

I just had a guest book saying that the reservation was for their "family trip" then a bunch of young kids looked like her teen friends guessing highschool aged showed up. There is clearly no adults staying with them and I'm freaked out. Can I please filter people from under 25 from booking my place in the future? Also, what if a guest misrepresents whom ends up staying there? By the way this happened with a last minute booking through insta-book I'm going to disable that feature until Airbnb creates better protection for hosts against this kind of thing. 

I am under 25 years of age. I am 22 years old and if you do not mind could you please explain to me why a host would not book with me. Maturity does not come with age, so i would just like to know if there are any other reasons. I have had this problem before when trying to book reservations.

Some of my best guests have been 18 to 25, @Ayanna2, but some other hosts' bad guests have been that age. Very bad. Property destruction. If you are having trouble booking, and I see you have no reviews yet, make your initial message to the host wonderful. Tell her what it is you love about her place, mention anything in her rules that is maybe a little different and tell her you will absolutely do that thing (take your shoes off, or keep the quiet hours or whatever), assure her you are responsible, give examples. When she accepts, be the absolute best guest ever. Then you will get a five-star review and it will be no problem booking with any future host. 

I'm sorry you have to go the extra mile on this because of your age, but it's worth it!

Thank you so much for that advice! I will definitely begin to do that! I did not even think about giving examples. Again, thank you. i understand. One bad see spoils the entire bunch. 🙂

Hi Ayanna,

I just recieved a request to rent at my place and it looks like the young lady is still in High School.  I'm feeling a bit nervous to rent to her.  To me the difference between 18 and 22 is huge.  However I agree maturity doesn't always come with age but age can help.  Irk.  I'm not sure what to do.

Regards,

Annie

Be careful.   We had prom groups were parents swore they were great kids, honor roll - blah,blah, blah.  The porch was filled with beer bottles and the kids were plastered along with the parent who signed.  the right of passage...  I do not have anyone under 21 in my home anymore.  Another thing is when they alkl want to sign the lease due to liability not wanted on 1 person, NO!  We keep an eye on the house and tenants so we don't have problems with damages, neighbors or the police.  Kids are a problem 99.9% of the time.  Have a higher security also when dealing with 21 year olds.  They are a breaking bunch at times.  Good luck!

Under age drinking is not legal and what is the ramification if it is at your rental?  Stale beer smell and destruction also.   It is difficult to get AirBNB to assist unless it is a total mess.