Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Answered!
Buffy0
Level 1
San Francisco, California, United States

Is there a minimum required age for someone to rent on airbnb?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum age someone must be, in order to rent a place on airbnb? I received an inquiry from a new airbnb user, on behalf of her family, wanting to rent my home. However, she's indicated to me that her father has asked her to seek the reservation, and that she is only 17 yrs old. I am wodering if renters need to be at least 18 yrs old? or if I shoul require that her father set up an airbnb acct, to make the reservation?

Thanks, B.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

58 Replies 58
Rajesh59
Level 2
Houston, TX

I have a big house that holds 16 and have request for 12 under 21 guests ranging from 19-17. It’s a $1200 booking, what should I do, we do have $1000 deposit.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Rajesh59 Run .................................................:) 

Seriously do you even have to ask 🙂

Me and my classmates have had our school year, graduation, sports careers, etc cancelled or postponed. So I have been trying to get a trip together for us to go on for our senior trip after it is safe to ofc but I can’t find one place that will rent to us because of our age. I understand that kids around my age (18) have a bad reputation of being rowdy and immature for good reason too but it’s really hard for people like me (who doesn’t go to parties or even drink) to find a place just to relax with my friends. We have offered to send daily videos to the host, FaceTime the host daily, and even give the host everyone attending the trips parental contact but that hasn’t worked. I fully understand the concern with letting young adults rent an Airbnb but that’s why I went out of my way to assure them that their property would be safe. The need for extra concern about young adults renting an Airbnb is fully understandable but excluding people who are willing to go that extra mile is something I really don’t understand especially at a time when we should be supporting one another. 

@Micah72  Yes, I understand that it would be frustrating when you're a responsible person who would take good care of a place, but like many things in life, the bad apples end up ruining it for the good. I certainly know lots of young people to whom trashing a place in any way would be unthinkable, and who aren't wild partiers or drinkers.

But even then, what you might not realize is that just because a bunch of 18 year olds aren't disrespectful partiers and house wreckers, very few people your age really understand how to look after a place. This a not a put-down, it's a natural state of affairs. There's few 18 year olds who have ever had to spend their money on appliances like a washing machine, or to buy nice furniture. Most have never had to pay a utility bill. They don't think about things like not putting drinks down on a nice wooden table and leaving rings that will have to sanded out and refinished, or overloading the washing machine, or running the washing machine on full load to wash a pair of pants and a tee shirt they want to wear that night. They don't think about things like not leaving towels in a wet pile to mildew so they'll need to be relegated to the rag bag and replaced. There are people of all ages who are careless like this, but it's much more prevalent among young folks, simply because they have no idea or thought about how much it may cost a host to repair things or end up with a big electric bill because guests left lights and AC on high when they were out all day and fired up the washing machine and dryer 5 times a day.

It's like car insurance- the statistics are that young men have more traffic accidents than other demographics, therefore insurance rates for young men are much higher than even for young women. You could be a super safe, attentive driver who never gets in one accident or has any traffic infraction, from the time you're 18 until you're 25, but you are still going to pay higher rates. The bad ones ruin it for the good.

Honestly, this phenomenon of teenagers and young adults wanting to rent a stranger's house for a celebration get-together is relatively new, yet has seemingly become something young people think is quite a normal request. Before Airbnb, that kind of gathering would happen by a bunch of young folks going on a camping trip, or staying at a hotel or hostel together, or maybe one of them had access to a family vacation home where that could take place.

There are listings on Airbnb, though, that allow parties- did you filter for that and are being declined due to your age, or are you contacting hosts who don't allow parties and trying to convince them that you'll be responsible?

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Airbnb requires at least 18 years old to be able to set up account and make reservations. I do receive some requests to book for their kids but they are not coming. This is how those things could happen and hosts can have their protocol dealing with this. I always require at least one adult be present for any reservation. Some people would need at least one 21years old due to the presence of alcoholic beverages. To me there would be too much liability issue if I allow any party without adult present.

Lisa5360
Level 2
Defuniak Springs, FL

I dont think it is against the law to rent to 55 and older. There are plenty here in Florida that do this and whole communities that are 55 and older. It is not discrimination to do this. 

@Lisa5360  It's discrimination according to Airbnb policy unless you live where renting to anyone younger than that would contravene local laws. 

Lisa5360
Level 2
Defuniak Springs, FL

I live in Florida and we have an 80/20 law. As long as 80% of the people that live on the property are 55 and over, you can legally choose to rent to only 55 and older. We are a tourist state and a spring break destination plus a retirement state so in this case, it is not against the law here.

Here is what air bnb says: Airbnb hosts may not:

• Impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law.

The part where is says you may not where it is prohibited by law? It is not prohibited here by law. It is very common here. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa5360  Just because it is common to limit age, and that you can legally choose, doesn't mean it's prohibited, as you say, to rent to anyone under 55. So if you were to refuse a guest based on them being under 55, and the guest reported you to Airbnb, Airbnb could very well delist you. 

It has to be prohibited by law where you live to get around that age discrimination issue. So if you had a condo board that prohibited renting to anyone under 25, or 55, you wouldn't be subject to Airbnb's policy.

https://www.floridacondohoalawblog.com/2010/04/01/55-over-housing-what-is-the-8020-rule/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housing_for_Older_Persons_Act

We dont rent out of our house. We have a separate unit just for air bnb and there is also another unit on the property. We are all over 55. 

@Lisa5360  According to the 80/20 rule you posted, if over 80% of the units were occupied by over 55s, Airbnb would say that you had no reason to turn down someone younger. If, as you say, all units have over 55s, there is nothing legally prohibiting you from accepting a younger guest. Whether you rent out a room in your home or a separate dwelling is immaterial.

Please understand, I'm not arguing that you shouldn't be allowed to have an age limitation, I'm just telling you how Airbnb will view it if a guest reports they were denied booking because of their age.

Dylan205
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

I just want to say this, are kids the main problem? Yes. But, they are young adults who need to make decisions for themselves. Will there be a party? Possibility. Again, it’s the young adults decisions. How can we say all young adults under the age of 25 are a liability? We can’t! This is where, I believe democracy comes in to play ladies and gentlemen. Why would politics be involved you may ask? Well, why are young adults not able to rent a house? The young adults who will one day, can be a government official who is above your pay grade. So, before making changes on things. Think before acting. Not everyone is good. Not everyone is bad. But if we don’t give young adults a chance. Then, good luck America. And the world.

Agreed not all of us are bad 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines