Is there a way to filter search by cancelation policy?

Julie185
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Is there a way to filter search by cancelation policy?

For business trips, my company will only allow me to book Airbnb listing if they have a flexible cancellation policy. Is there a way to display all flexible cancellation policy listings in a search? It is not one of the filter.

Thank you 

48 Replies 48
Eric1401
Level 1
Edmond, OK

Took me forever to search & book my most recent family vacation due to this. I had to manually filter them myself using text searches on each page after opening 50 billion tabs!

I *WILL* get the results I want, you are just causing me to waste a lot more time doing it. 

Kami136
Level 1
United States

this option must be available!  its stupid and time consuming going though each user one by one finding what that can be done in one click! that i believe is customer service and if they would care enough they would take action quickly.. 

Nick564
Level 2
Taipei City, Taiwan

Thanks for the tips. I used the filter by work and did get some flexibles in there. It would be very useful to have as when you're traveling half way across the world having a 48 hour feature is very restrictive. Flexible hosts have better ratings as well it appears.  I'd like to see this added as a condition of superhost status as well

@Nick564  You want to see a requirement to use the flexible cancellation policy to qualify for Superhost? No way, that's ridiculous-Airbnb already has too much of its nose in our business.

They should also give stock options to superhosts in my view

Axel181
Level 1
Setagaya, Japan

As Airbnb can't be bothered to acknowledge let alone accommodate the widely requested search feature, I should point out that a certain competitor of Airbnb, the one that offers you a Home Away (ahemm!) from home, does clearly indicate "Free Cancelation" on listings that offer this until 60 days before the booking date. That may still not be flexible enough for some but for me, that's good enough. 

William1185
Level 1
Denver, CO

Come on Airbnb, put it back!  Why even have different cancellation policies if you won't let us see them!!!

Michael1000
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Would really like this feature back, otherwise it takes me twice as long to book and my conversion rate goes down... I'm just going to book a hotel instead.

Nicola1812
Level 1
Egham, GB

This is ridiculous. The filter was there and it was the main feature I used to use. Especially with a young family where with kids so many things can happen and you plans can change so quickly you need to stay flexible. 

Bye bye AirBnb, hello booking.com

Nic

Rolands1
Level 2
Jūrmala, Latvia

I believe that transparency and more advanced search options are good. On other hand I understand hosts why they do not want to offer such policy because it can be misused very easily by guests. I had such experience in the past when guests cancel reservation in the last minute. It is very easily to understand what is happening. Guests can make reservation and then look for the last minute deals. If there are good deals then guests cancel in the last minute and make new reservation for another property. And mentioning hotels is not very fair in this case because everyone must understand that large hotels have many rooms so they can be more flexible regarding cancellation but many hosts on airbnb  have only one property so if they got cancelled it hurts a lot.  I would say that flexible cancellation policy can offer large hotels and also those hosts who has many listings.

Easy fix.. charge a reasonable cancellation fee.. such as $200.. not the entire amount.

@Ramesh29  So you think guests should be able to cancel a booking the day of check in, only paying $200 on what might have been a $1500 reservation, even though the booking might have been made 3 months previous, blocking the host's calendar from getting another booking on such short notice?

Nice for the guest, financially devastating for the host.

Toni4204
Level 2
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan

I used to be able to filter search results based on cancellation policy, but now it appears that this option is no longer available and every cancellation policy is strict. Is this a glitch in the system? 

@Toni4204  No, every cancellation policy isn't strict. But I think many hosts switched to strict since Covid hit, as many guests this past year and a half seem to think they can just cancel last minute claiming they are scared to travel, or using Covid as an excuse to cancel when in fact they just had a change of plans or found something cheaper.

If you are looking at entire places with large max capacity, those tend to use strict.

It does seem stupid that guests can't filter by cancellation policy.

John5732
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

Sadly the only answer is to book your flights and airbnb booking last minute, otherwise its too much to  lose if something happens.