Is there a way to filter search by cancelation policy?

Julie185
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Is there a way to filter search by cancelation policy?

For business trips, my company will only allow me to book Airbnb listing if they have a flexible cancellation policy. Is there a way to display all flexible cancellation policy listings in a search? It is not one of the filter.

Thank you 

48 Replies 48
Ami41
Level 1
Portland, OR

I am trying to book a place near Mayo Clinic for my son's surgery & there is a possibilty that it may be postponed but I'm having to search through to the bottom of every listing rather than filtering on cancellation policy or at least having it prominently stated at the top. Very frustrating.

P.S. I tried the suggestion above about turning on "for work" but those are also including strict cancellation policy listings.

Regina337
Level 1
Dade City, FL

I would also like to be able to filter for flexible cancellation policy!. Airbnb has hosts advertising "free cancellation" but it is only if you cancel within 24 or 48 hours after booking (which I think is required by law). It is very difficult to find the cancellation policy even when you are looking at one listing. I think I may stop using Airbnb if they are going to trick customers and make the website difficult to us.

Dana321
Level 1
Bellingham, WA

I am planning a trip to Kauai in March. As a caretaker for my older parents (My mom is 89 and my dad is 92) I need a flexible cancelation policy.  We have been through 5 years of health emergencies.  Not having a fliter for the different policies available makes it difficult. I kept going through listings, scrolling down and trying to find what each place offered, I gave up. VRBO makes it much more upfront and clear. So right away I found something that would work for us. I understand a fee or penalty, but loosing 1/2 of your rental fee just doesn't do it. My trip is 10 months away. 

Sorry Air bnb, your lack of ablility to search for information lost you and your hosts a customer. 

Brad238
Level 1
Jacksonville, FL

Please put it back

Patty186
Level 1
Saint Clair Shores, MI

I agree with the others. This should be a feature that is searchable. I refuse to pay even 50% when most hotels offer cancellation until the day of. Unfortunately, I am finding that way too many listings are 'strict' so I am going to go a different route when searching for a place to stay!

Sean504
Level 1
Ann Arbor, MI

Yes to this feature. Without it, simply another reason why you should simply book with a hotel. 

Kali19
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Agree, please bring back the cancellation filter feature. I live in New Orleans and am trying to book a room for a potential evacuation in the face of a hurricane. I want to filter by cancellation policy so that I don't lost half my money if I end up staying in New Orleans and weathering out the storm. I recognize that this practice is not necessarily fair for hosts, so if someone has better recommendations for evacuation protocol I'm all ears. In the meantime, I will still express my desire to have the filter reinstated. 

Matt730
Level 1
Joshua Tree, CA

This feature was instrumental. Now I have to click through and scroll down on every property. It doesn't stop users from limiting searches by cancellation policy, it just makes us have to do it manually.

Kim1042
Level 1
Westerville, OH

Please bring back this ability to filter by cancellation policy.  You have otherwise lost my business.  Too much trouble to scroll down to the bottom of each listing to see what the cancellation policy is.  Thanks for your consideration, AirBnB.  

Ruth-And-David0
Level 1
New York, NY

Yes. Bring this feature back.

Thomas1590
Level 1
South Jordan, UT

It really penalizes people who want to make reservations well in advance.  At a minimum if they have a strict cancellation policy, have a tiered refund policy.  A 6-month cancel could refund 95%, 4-month 90%, 2-month 75%, 1 month 50% and so on.  It makes it really tough to long-term plan.  What's the host's penalty when they cancel on the guest?  Do they pay the guest a fee?  So the options are to look to other reservation systems or wait until much closer to your dates.  

@Jonathan970 I'm a host, and I can see that it would be a very nice feature for guests to be able to filter for cancellation policy and I think your idea of a tiered refund system for strict is an interesting and fair one. I use moderate myself, so hosts who use strict may not agree.

As to your question about penalties for hosts, they are actually quite punitive. If a host cancels a reservation, they get fined $100, the dates they cancelled remain blocked on their calendar, so they can't rebook them to anyone else, and a notice is placed on their review page saying "The host cancelled this reservation xx days before check-in", which can make future guests reluctant to take the chance to book with them. As well, even one cancellation will cause a host to lose Superhost status and they won't be eligible again for another full year. So no, hosts definitely don't get off scot-free for cancelling guests.

If Airbnb won't filter for cancellation policies, I won't use the service.  Idiots!

Jonathan970
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

Can't understand why this feature isn't available, it's ridiculous to click on each individual listing of hundreds of properties just to check cancellation policy.