Is this a scam?

Answered!

Is this a scam?

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me with something. I'm looking for a new place to rent long term. I found a nice looking flat on Facebook which is very cheap for where it is and what it looks like. This was the first red flag. Now, the lady doesn't want to meet every potential tenant in person because of the coronavirus. She wants to use Airbnb to do a booking. This is her email:

"Just to make things clear, I am the Landlord and I didn't list it on airbnb yet. First of all, I am sending additional photos, as I don't have time to exchange lots of emails, as I have some high interest in my apartment.

To do the booking, viewing, I require confirmation through Airbnb ( Airbnb Guests Protection), after I list it on their website. You have to book it and pay the first 2 months + guarantee ( fully refundable if you decide against renting, which I doubt) from their website. From the moment your booking is confirmed, Airbnb representative will contact you about viewing and you can move in straight away. You have to pay directly Airbnb, not me. If you don't like the apartment you will receive all your money back from Airbnb in less than 24 hours after refusal.
If you like the apartment then you sign the contract, on the viewing day, and move in immediately. For the first 2 months you will have everything paid. Starting the 3rd month, you will pay the rent directly in my personal account, to avoid Airbnb fees. No hidden taxes or fees.
To make reservation arrangements, I need the following information from you:
Full name of the future tenant, Address and Phone Number. After that I will list the apartment on https://www.airbnb.com/ and send you the link so you can book it."

It sounds dodgy to me overall. However, the fact that she wants me to pay her through Airbnb would mean that I could actually get my money back if the whole thing turned out not to be real. Am I right? 

I would really appreciate if someone could share their thoughts on this.

Many thanks!

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Yasmin252 yes this is a scam. Airbnb reps never "contact you about viewing". I would guess that the link to book/pay will not actually be on airbnb.com. Even if it were I would not trust that getting your money back would necessarily be trivial.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Yasmin252 yes this is a scam. Airbnb reps never "contact you about viewing". I would guess that the link to book/pay will not actually be on airbnb.com. Even if it were I would not trust that getting your money back would necessarily be trivial.

Hi @Lisa723, thank you very much for your reply. You're right, the link to pay would probably lead me to a different website. I definitely won't go ahead and book with this person. 

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Yasmin252 

Yes, it is a scam.

There is not such a thing as an "airbnb representative".

If you keep talking to this person, they will end up sending a link that looks like an airbnb link but it is not.

Run, do not give bank details, and do not transfer money.

Look at places on airbnb, preferably some that are super hosts or have a lot of good reviews, or reputable letting agencies at the country / city where you are looking to rent.

Hi @Roberta2, thank you for your help. This makes sense! I will report this person and keep looking for a place keeping your advice in mind!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Yasmin252 

I agree with the others. This sounds like a scam to me because the process this lady describes has nothing to do with how Airbnb operates. It makes no sense at all. Either that, or she has never used Airbnb before and has no idea how it works, but I find that unlikely.

There IS such a thing as an Airbnb representative, but there are no viewings on Airbnb, certainly not organised by Airbnb. In any case, if you are looking for a long-term rental, you would never pay anything prior to viewing the property.

Hi @Huma0, thank you for taking the time to reply. I know what to look out for now and I definitely won't pay anything before I have seen the place in person. Thank you again!

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Yasmin252 

It is a scam Yasmin - have a look on this thread below that discusses at great length

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

Hi @Elena87, thank you! That's really helpful.