Is this legitimate? Host asking for DOB, city of birth, current address, passport number and expiry

Answered!
Donald21
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Is this legitimate? Host asking for DOB, city of birth, current address, passport number and expiry

Hi,

I'm making a very last-minute AirBnB trip to Milan and my host has asked for my:

full name

date of birth

city of birth

current address

city of residence

passport number

passport expiry date

This is apparently to ensure speedy check-in. Is this legitimate? It just seems quite a lot of information, so I'm now worrying that it might be a scam...

Many thanks for taking the time to read this!

Donald

1 Best Answer

@Donald21,

In Italy and many European country it's absolutely legitimate. In Italy each guest have to be declared to the questure (police) in max 8 days after arrival, it's the law.

The same here in France where by law (and received a reminder just this morning) I have to ask for the same information for all non-french guests (eveb for EU citizens) and keep them 6 months just in case.

You could just ask your host why he need it. You will find there the official information: 

http://www.sicurincitta.it/articolo/10618

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6

Hard to say, hotels and motels do ask for those, does this host have many reviews? But if you don't feel comfortable with this, don't send it. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Doesn't sound like your average Airbnb host, but that's not to say it's a scam. Multi-listing user?

@Donald21,

In Italy and many European country it's absolutely legitimate. In Italy each guest have to be declared to the questure (police) in max 8 days after arrival, it's the law.

The same here in France where by law (and received a reminder just this morning) I have to ask for the same information for all non-french guests (eveb for EU citizens) and keep them 6 months just in case.

You could just ask your host why he need it. You will find there the official information: 

http://www.sicurincitta.it/articolo/10618

@Donald21

I don't know about Italy, but it's the same here in Germany.

As foreign guest you have to provide your host with your personal informations and you are required by law to show a valid ID.

And the host obliged to collect that informations and keep them for 6 months.

Otherwise the host could be penalized by the authority 😞

Maarit6
Level 2
Helsinki, Finland

We can travel without passport in EU so is an ID ok?

Is this the case as well in Spain? A host I am booking with in Spain is asking for similar information about my passport/ID details.