Is this listing a scam?

Antony39
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Is this listing a scam?

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if you could help me figure out if this listing is a scam: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/27515616

I booked it last night but I have not heard back from the host yet.

Also, today a review was upload saying that the host canceled the reservation 5 days before arrival.

The host's profile was created last month: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/200625695

The host has only her email and phone number verified.

I am afraid this might be a scam.

Fortunately, it has a 48-hour cancellation policy.

I am thinking that if the host does not get back to me until tomorrow, I will cancel the reservation.

I was just curious on your comments/opinions.

Thank you in advance and have a nice summer!

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Antony39

I am pretty good at figuring out the scam listings and I do not believe this is one.  However, if it were me, I would be cancelling if the host has not gotten back to me and the only review is a cancelled reservation which was in August.  I am not one to take chances on a new host who has already cancelled a reservation, which likely means they could cancel my reservation the day I am suppose to arrive.  If you are going to cancel, make sure to cancel within 48 hours of the time you made the booking as the service fee is non-refundable after 48 hours. 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Antony39
Level 2
Athens, Greece

Thank you @Dave-and-Deb0. Exactly my thoughts.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

That poor host! She has undoubtedly made a mistake in not blocking her calendar for unavailable dates, received a booking which she then cancelled not realising just how bad that is for a host to do. Happens all the time with new hosts. If you can get an answer from this host in time, you will have no trouble. Not a scam, just inexperienced. She will pay a fine for her mistake, quite large too as it is 5 days before arrival. She will not do it again.

If you can get an answer from this host in time, you will have no trouble.

That's a big 'if' since she did not even answer her mobile phone when I called today.

Thank you for your insight.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Not a scam but probably not the most educated host. She's new and has a lot of learning to do. It doesn’t mean that you won’t have a nice stay but you may want to offer her some constructive criticism/advice in the private feedback section during the review process. I was very thankful of this private feedback when I first became a host.