Is this listing a scam?

Is this listing a scam?

I found and recently booked this place for 5 nights in Florida.

https://abnb.me/TzaUqsHLXlb

I’m a bit wary but not sure if I should be worried. The price is ridiculously low ($600 a night). I found the same property listed on another website for $15400/week for the week we are going.

Here is that link:

https://www.floridagulfcoastgetaway.com/vacation-rental-home.asp?PageDataID=143369

The Airbnb host has no reviews and she messaged me just now asking for my email address and phone number so she could send me more information. All kinds of red flags. Any way I can tell if this is a scam or not? 

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jonathan1643 

The listing is new, so there are no reviews yet.

This is a large house for 16 guests, it is weird the listing is setup incomplete:

- No security deposit

- No cleaning fee

- Almost no houserules

- Price for 1 or 16 persons is the same

- No sleeping arrangements

- No check-out time

- Flexible cancelation policy

It is not allowed (and also impossible) to exchange email/phonenumber prior to confirmed reservation

IMO the setup of the listing is not finished and probably pricing is also wrong.(?)

@Emiel1 

Thank you for this advice. I have already paid the initial deposit (the rest is due later) and the reservation is confirmed. After that, the host emailed me asking for my email and phone number via the Airbnb app which no one has ever done before. 

@Jonathan1643  Unless you mean that you paid 50% upfront via the Airbnb app, you've already been scammed because there is no deposit on any Airbnb listing.  There is also no reason why a host would want your private email and on an Airbnb reservation your phone number is already listed. 

Agreed. The request for my info was the final red flag for me. The money I paid was 20% now with the remaining 80% due before booking. I cancelled my reservation and it said it has issued me a full refund. 

@Jonathan1643  I don't even know how that was possible. The pay-less-upfront option on Airbnb is approximately 50% when you book, with remainder charged about a week before check-in. Hosts have no options to choose a custom deposit percentage.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Jonathan1643 I would also be wary. In your shoes I would contact the manager of the non-Airbnb site and ask for confirmation that the Airbnb listing is legitimate.  It is a legit Airbnb website, so I'm not sure what kind of scam it might be. Airbnb hosts aren't paid until check-in so presumably won't get any money if they don't make the property available; however there could be some kind of attempt to move you to a different property that is not so great when you get there. Definitely looks fishy.

@Lisa723 

Thanks for your advice. I contacted the non Airbnb site and they confirmed the listing on Airbnb is a scam. I have cancelled and supposedly gotten my full refund back. I spoke with Airbnb and they are investigating the listing. 

@Jonathan1643 looks like the listing has been taken down.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Jonathan1643 if it seems too good to be true, it probably is....