Issue with a guest

Answered!
Clayton5
Level 2
Fgura, Malta

Issue with a guest

Hi,

I have an issue with a current 65 year old guest and would like to know your opinion on how I can deal with the situation. The guest came a week ago and I noted something strange in his behaviour. From the first hour he came in the apartment the guest started insulting and making offensive and racist comments about our country and the locals here. He decided to come without any mobile or laptop even though he has one. I showed him around the area to help him get oriented since he did not have any means of checking from his mobile or laptop. He started making insults about everything and everyone. I kept my mouth shut so to try and listen to what he was saying. 

The next day he wanted an internet cafe and I adviced him to go to the airport since it is only 15 min away by bus, it is free and very efficient but he sarted shouting arrogantly to me that he did not want to wait if there is people there. I told him politely that I was trying to help him but he did not want to go there.

Apart from all of this, he leaves all the lights on when I am not there including the TV and any other appliance that he used. Yesterday he dropped some liquds on the floor and he left it there.

He started making ratial comments about our country and the local people and it is starting irritating me a bit now. 

I learnt today that he has phsycological disorders and I am a bit worried about the situation and his aggresive attitude. Can anyone suggest what can I do?

1 Best Answer
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Clayton5 it's not pleasant when you have a guest like that, and you certainly seem to have helped him. I suggest you contact Airbnb to discuss it but there is no number for Malta. Have a look at the list of numbers here and see if perhaps the UK one or another number might be good for you. Or better, send them a DM via Twitter as that gets a good and quick response.

(One day I'd love to visit Malta, my father-in -law flew Swordfish there during WWII and we've always wanted to visit)

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Clayton5 it's not pleasant when you have a guest like that, and you certainly seem to have helped him. I suggest you contact Airbnb to discuss it but there is no number for Malta. Have a look at the list of numbers here and see if perhaps the UK one or another number might be good for you. Or better, send them a DM via Twitter as that gets a good and quick response.

(One day I'd love to visit Malta, my father-in -law flew Swordfish there during WWII and we've always wanted to visit)

Dear Victoria, Thank you for your reply. You are welcome to visit. Here we have several WW2 Museums and memorabila.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree. Give BNB a call, you shouldn't have to put up with racial abuse.

Ask BNB to cancel the guests booking and that they ask them to leave.

Going forward if you have instant book turned on - turn it off. You can then chat to guests to make sure there is a good fit before confirming a booking

Thank you Helen for your reply

Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Holy moly.  I just looked at your page, and now I want to visit Malta!  Your room is gorgeous!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I hope he has not booked for a long stay?

Graham-And-Michelle0
Level 9
Auckland, New Zealand

Malta is a fabulous place to visit.  Your guests sounds horrendously difficult and I hope you have contacted Airbnb to get help to resolve this. 

Debra459
Level 2
Oregon, United States

I NEED ADVICE. I have a guest in my home (husband and wife) who instant booked Wednesday evening for yesterday check in. They booked for only seven days, as they said  is they had sold there home and we're waiting for the home they bought to close escrow. My home is SMALL pet friendly only, as I have no fenced back yard (my home is on a slope and backs to the greens) and I have nice furnishings. Today, the guest called asking for the wifi password. At that time I noticed quite a few motion detection notifications on my phone from my outside security cameras so I pulled up my camera app. Thumbnails showed 2 large breed dogs and a UHAUL van backed up to my garage with my garage door open--so I called the guest to discuss the issues. They said they would be willing to pay an additional pet security deposit. When I asked about the UHAUL van they said they had there things in storage and we're just bringing over clothes and laundry detergent, which made no sense, as you wouldn't need a UHAUL van to do that and they are only in my home for seven days. Anyway, they had mentioned that they were in another Airbnb prior so I asked them what there situation was--why their prior host didn't extend their stay seven more days? The guest said the hosts had booked the home out to someone else. They said they sold their home during covid and had moved in with some friends but needed to be out of their house by 12/1/20, as they were selling their home. I called airbnb to advise them if what was going on and to get their advice. I was transferred three times. The last representative I had to repeat everything to was Zachary.  He sent me an email so I could send screen shots of dogs and UHAUL van. He said he was going to speak to other Airbnb reps and would get back to me.

Followingis his response: this instance, we have two paths to choose from. We can keep the reservation or we can get him out. If we keep the reservation, he will need to pay a deposit and maybe have some restrictions on the time(s) the dogs can be out. If we get him out, then we would move the check-out date and refund him for the time not spent in the listing.

How would you like to proceed? With either route, I'll need to touch base with the guest.

As a host this response doesn't seem fair so my response was as follows:

Your two alternatives are not acceptible. This isn't just about being a member of an HOA. Brad broke my house rules. I accept small pets only because my home is small, it is nice with nice furnishings and I would like to keep it that way--and I don't have a fenced back yard since my home is on a slope. Therefore your suggestion about restrictions on when they can be out is moot. Moreover, to infer that it is okay for a guest to break house rules, by giving them a refund if asked to leave, is wrong and not fair to me as a host--nor would it be fair to any host since I must rent a car and travel 200 miles to prepare my home and change the lock code in preparation for the guest. Did you even attempt to talk to their prior Airbnb host to find out why they didn't extend Brad's booking? Did you contact Brad and ask him why he would need to unload the contents of a uhaul van into my home when his reservation is for only one week? It seems you are placing everything on me when I have done nothing wrong. I have acted in good faith. It appears Brad has not.

I called back and asked to speak with a supervisor but was told it could take up to 24 hours.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Debra459 

First: why are you not creating a new post, instead of posting in a 4 years old thread ?

Regarding your issue:

IMO the alternatives offered by Airbnb are reasonable. You are too much concerned about what is fair, instead of what is best business. If your uncomfortable with the reservation, you can sent a change of reservation ("shortening"). otherwise charge the guests a pet fee and continue to end of reservation.

BTW  "to rent a car and travel 200 miles to prepare my home and change the lock code in preparation for the guest"  is a personal choice in doing hosting, not an argument for issues with a guest or with Airbnb.