Issue with guest

Answered!
Dana91
Level 2
Toms River, NJ

Issue with guest

Hi I'm new to hosting. I took it on for the time being to help pay for my masters degree. My last guest had an issue with the bed he slept on. after the first night he faced timed me to discuss his going to the beach I asked what he wanted to discuss because I'd be home late to which he wasn't concerned on. When he finally left he sent me a text stating -for a good review he wanted 50% of his pay back. He also left my bathroom gross and I nearly broke my lock because he has locked the door so hard. I told him no and so he carried on with his word giving me a horrible review. Just want to know what any other hosts would do. It made me feel pretty awful like I wasn't a good host but I'm trying with what I have and the previous guests never mentioned it to me. Sorry but thank you

1 Best Answer
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Dana91   I wanted to join in on this message post to share with you about how I handle the "not communicating" with potential guests, current guests or past guests away from the Airbnb message site.  This is one of the biggest problems that I see happening all the time between hosts and guests that ends up causing problems for the hosts.  Many hosts reach out to me via social media asking me for help on how to move forward with an issue they are having or had with a "bad guests" only to find out they have been communicating on What's App, Skype, Face time, smart phone text messages, etc instead of doing what ABB says......ONLY COMMUNICATE USING THE WEBSITE MESSAGE PAGE.

(It says this all over the booking page too.) 

I want to give you heads up that its the policy of ABB not to only accept screen shots from hosts cell phones as 100% proof because messages can be hidden, deleted, edited, etc.  Its good that you sent it in, but in the future I want to encourage you to communicate on ABB going forward as I come across this quite often with my guests too.

1.  Guests are given a hosts mobile number in their booking reservation for Emergencies only or perhaps they are lost getting to a host home.  Kindly remind them of this if you get a text message. Here's what I write when a guests sends me a text message to my phone saying that its easier for them to communicate this way regarding their booking.  (SEE BELOW)

"Dear Guests,

Its good to hear from you.  Thank you for reaching out to me via my PRIVATE cell phone number.  I am replying back only to let you know that all communciation regarding your stay MUST continue on the Airbnb message site to protect you as my guests and me as your hosts.  However, if you do experience an emergency in or out of my home as my guests, definitely use this PRIVATE number to contact me.  Anything else needs to be written in the same place as your greeting booking requests.  This is to ensure that both guests and hosts have no misunderstandings before, during or after your stay.    If you are having trouble sending a message using the ABB mobile app, please find a computer to send it. Please take comfort in knowing that every message you send to me will be responded to within 60 mins or less no matter what time it is.  (However, keep in mind what time it is in Hawaii when contacting me for urgent issues as I do need my beauty sleep)

Thank you for understanding and complying with Airbnb's Terms and Conditions. Any questions, feel free to contact ABB customer service at 1-888-326-5753. Looking foward to hosting you soon and sharing our Aloha Spirit." - Your Airbnb Superhost, Momi

2.  I do like to call some of my guests and speak with them over the phone PRIOR to their arrival but I always duly note that conversation in the ABB message site.  The guests is always informed during the call that I will be doing that.  Some of the reasons I may call a guests are simply because they are new to Airbnb and have expressed to me they are feeling a bit nervous or perhaps ABB message site is glitching up and my messages are splitting up making it hard to read.  Hearing a smile and laugh always makes them feel better.  And gives them a chance to ask me more questions and get to know each other better.  But as I said, everything that is talked about during that call is ALWAYS written out in the message thread which gives the guests the opportunity to add to what was written or to simply just add:  "Thank you again Momi, really happy that you called me! We are looking foward to using Airbnb now!"

3.  Many of my international & domestic guests want me to help them save money.  So I will SOMETIMES use What's App to converse about their needs for Hawaiian actitives,  rentals cars, restaurants, etc. because I do have alot of money saving tips and they find that app easier to use.  However, again, I always note what was talked about in that What's App text chat and phone call onto the ABB site to give the guests and ABB a full report to protect myself. This has worked out beautifully.   But now that the ABB message site allows me to send links and photos, its made it so much easier to help the guests with all of their holiday needs.  

4.  I have also called ABB to say that I need their help in getting something communicated to an international guests and that is also duly noted in their account in the message area. (some use translators to communicate and getting a real person translator is always helpful)

5. If a guests has a concern during their stay, and they contact you using FT.....politely answer it, but immediately tell them that you would need to speak with them face to face and to please note their concern on the ABB message site to give you the opportunity to resolve it as their host.  Because my guests live in my home with us, and I'm much more accessible to them, they usually voice their concern to me in person which is fine, but I always document it in the ABB message site on what their concern was and how I resolved it.  I dont't get alot of concerns but the very few that I do, its always remedy immediately like perhaps the wind chimes bothered them the  night before.  I go to the ABB message site thanking them for bringing their concern about the windchime to my attention and note that I took it down as soon as the guests mentioned it. 

Now what I do during my home tour is to ask the guests ahead of time if my one beautiful wind chime that another Superhost sent me would potentially bother them during sleep and its always appreciated when I do ask.  95% say, no no, please keep it up.  Its wonderful.  (my husband and I have a bet going that most will say Yes, keep it up and he says they won't like it....he is losing big time!) LOL

6.  The next time a guests says something about writing a bad review or writes a message indicating they will do that if you don't refund them, immediately contact ABB via a phone call to report it.  Do not let time pass you by on this.  Its important that they "weed out" the bad apples so the rest of us don't get someone like him in our homes.  I hope you wrote an honest review about him. 

7.  Definitely stay on top of that review getting observed by ABB to possibly remove it since it was apparently posted as a retalitory move on his part.  Its unfortunate that so many of us hosts kindly open OUR HOMES, only to get scammers who think they can get their money back by threatening a host.  I can assure you that no guests will ever get away with threatening this host....that's what Iphones Videos are for.  And yes, I have recorded a guests threatening me back in 2015.  He was caught smoking, TWICE! Police were called in after he barricaded himself in our home at midnight and I turned on the video. ABB collected it. He was permantly removed from ABB for his unlawful behavior after damaging my home and breaking my 3 toes.  Police made video too. 

8.  As a new host, I want to encourage you to possibly think about using the Co-Host feature to request another host to help you, even if its for a short time.  You can decide how long you want help from that Co-Host. If  that is not an option for you, definitely go to the ABB site and read all the helpful articles on "HOSTING".  I have been hosting for 2 years now and still occasionally go read them for new updates. Especially on new policies. 

9.  Congrats on pursuing your MBA.  

10.  Hope you move past this guy and find hosting to be as amazing as I do!  The friends I have made are PRICELESS.   As a matter of fact, we are currently planning a (SECRET) trip to NYC for my daughters Sweet Sixteen in 2019 and my June 2017 guests are insisting we stay with them.  How awesome is that?!?  Plus our daughters (same age) have become friends to a point that they Face Time with each other every week since they left.   Both are obsessed with Broadway so it was fun to listen to them sing to us. 

Hope my post has helped you. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

This is a violation of Airbnb's extortion policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/what-is-airbnb-s-extortion-policy

Did he text through Airbnb? It's helpful to keep all your communications on the Airbnb messaging so they can see your interactions, but even if you could provide screen captures it would be helpful in getting the review removed.

When did he inform you of the issue with the bed? If it's an issue big enough to require a refund it needs to be addressed during the stay, not after the fact. And certainly not extorting money in exchange for a positive review!

I'm very big on communication. I try to reply back soon as possible however there are times I am unable to (work) but I at least let them know I'll respond shortly. This way I'm giving my full attention. He sent it in a text message which I still have and let me know of it once he left. I'm just trying to do the right thing and get some guidance since I'm still new to this. 

Hi @Dana91,

If the texts were not on airbnb, make screeshots of them. Then call airbnb about the review. If the extorsion id visible on the thread, they will read them. If not, ask for a confirmation mail to which you can answer and send the screenshots.

An advice: don't use facetime or skype to communicate, if it's not absolutely necessary to walk around with the camera. No third party apps. If you have communicated by a means leaving no traces, confirm the content via message thread. Better to look a bit pedantic to 50 nicd gursts, than to be without proof, when you need it.

Good luck  

And sorry for the spelling

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Confirm any non ABB mnessages back on the system so there is a trail visible.

David
Dana91
Level 2
Toms River, NJ

Thank you everyone. I sent the screen shot to Airbnb. I also had responded back to him regarding the matter on here.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I would tell him to leave me a bad review...that I will have shown Airbnb that he was trying to blackmail me and he would be potentially banned from using Airbnb if he wants to keep at it.  I'd tell him to contact me via Airbnb messaging or he will not get a response again from me.  End of conversation.  Sorry that this is how you are beginning your hosting but that is definately not how most guests behave.  I've hosted a lot of guests and everyone with one or two exceptions have been absolutely fine as guests.  As a sidenote, you can't please everyone and sometimes people complain for sport so you can't always take it too much to heart.

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Dana91   I wanted to join in on this message post to share with you about how I handle the "not communicating" with potential guests, current guests or past guests away from the Airbnb message site.  This is one of the biggest problems that I see happening all the time between hosts and guests that ends up causing problems for the hosts.  Many hosts reach out to me via social media asking me for help on how to move forward with an issue they are having or had with a "bad guests" only to find out they have been communicating on What's App, Skype, Face time, smart phone text messages, etc instead of doing what ABB says......ONLY COMMUNICATE USING THE WEBSITE MESSAGE PAGE.

(It says this all over the booking page too.) 

I want to give you heads up that its the policy of ABB not to only accept screen shots from hosts cell phones as 100% proof because messages can be hidden, deleted, edited, etc.  Its good that you sent it in, but in the future I want to encourage you to communicate on ABB going forward as I come across this quite often with my guests too.

1.  Guests are given a hosts mobile number in their booking reservation for Emergencies only or perhaps they are lost getting to a host home.  Kindly remind them of this if you get a text message. Here's what I write when a guests sends me a text message to my phone saying that its easier for them to communicate this way regarding their booking.  (SEE BELOW)

"Dear Guests,

Its good to hear from you.  Thank you for reaching out to me via my PRIVATE cell phone number.  I am replying back only to let you know that all communciation regarding your stay MUST continue on the Airbnb message site to protect you as my guests and me as your hosts.  However, if you do experience an emergency in or out of my home as my guests, definitely use this PRIVATE number to contact me.  Anything else needs to be written in the same place as your greeting booking requests.  This is to ensure that both guests and hosts have no misunderstandings before, during or after your stay.    If you are having trouble sending a message using the ABB mobile app, please find a computer to send it. Please take comfort in knowing that every message you send to me will be responded to within 60 mins or less no matter what time it is.  (However, keep in mind what time it is in Hawaii when contacting me for urgent issues as I do need my beauty sleep)

Thank you for understanding and complying with Airbnb's Terms and Conditions. Any questions, feel free to contact ABB customer service at 1-888-326-5753. Looking foward to hosting you soon and sharing our Aloha Spirit." - Your Airbnb Superhost, Momi

2.  I do like to call some of my guests and speak with them over the phone PRIOR to their arrival but I always duly note that conversation in the ABB message site.  The guests is always informed during the call that I will be doing that.  Some of the reasons I may call a guests are simply because they are new to Airbnb and have expressed to me they are feeling a bit nervous or perhaps ABB message site is glitching up and my messages are splitting up making it hard to read.  Hearing a smile and laugh always makes them feel better.  And gives them a chance to ask me more questions and get to know each other better.  But as I said, everything that is talked about during that call is ALWAYS written out in the message thread which gives the guests the opportunity to add to what was written or to simply just add:  "Thank you again Momi, really happy that you called me! We are looking foward to using Airbnb now!"

3.  Many of my international & domestic guests want me to help them save money.  So I will SOMETIMES use What's App to converse about their needs for Hawaiian actitives,  rentals cars, restaurants, etc. because I do have alot of money saving tips and they find that app easier to use.  However, again, I always note what was talked about in that What's App text chat and phone call onto the ABB site to give the guests and ABB a full report to protect myself. This has worked out beautifully.   But now that the ABB message site allows me to send links and photos, its made it so much easier to help the guests with all of their holiday needs.  

4.  I have also called ABB to say that I need their help in getting something communicated to an international guests and that is also duly noted in their account in the message area. (some use translators to communicate and getting a real person translator is always helpful)

5. If a guests has a concern during their stay, and they contact you using FT.....politely answer it, but immediately tell them that you would need to speak with them face to face and to please note their concern on the ABB message site to give you the opportunity to resolve it as their host.  Because my guests live in my home with us, and I'm much more accessible to them, they usually voice their concern to me in person which is fine, but I always document it in the ABB message site on what their concern was and how I resolved it.  I dont't get alot of concerns but the very few that I do, its always remedy immediately like perhaps the wind chimes bothered them the  night before.  I go to the ABB message site thanking them for bringing their concern about the windchime to my attention and note that I took it down as soon as the guests mentioned it. 

Now what I do during my home tour is to ask the guests ahead of time if my one beautiful wind chime that another Superhost sent me would potentially bother them during sleep and its always appreciated when I do ask.  95% say, no no, please keep it up.  Its wonderful.  (my husband and I have a bet going that most will say Yes, keep it up and he says they won't like it....he is losing big time!) LOL

6.  The next time a guests says something about writing a bad review or writes a message indicating they will do that if you don't refund them, immediately contact ABB via a phone call to report it.  Do not let time pass you by on this.  Its important that they "weed out" the bad apples so the rest of us don't get someone like him in our homes.  I hope you wrote an honest review about him. 

7.  Definitely stay on top of that review getting observed by ABB to possibly remove it since it was apparently posted as a retalitory move on his part.  Its unfortunate that so many of us hosts kindly open OUR HOMES, only to get scammers who think they can get their money back by threatening a host.  I can assure you that no guests will ever get away with threatening this host....that's what Iphones Videos are for.  And yes, I have recorded a guests threatening me back in 2015.  He was caught smoking, TWICE! Police were called in after he barricaded himself in our home at midnight and I turned on the video. ABB collected it. He was permantly removed from ABB for his unlawful behavior after damaging my home and breaking my 3 toes.  Police made video too. 

8.  As a new host, I want to encourage you to possibly think about using the Co-Host feature to request another host to help you, even if its for a short time.  You can decide how long you want help from that Co-Host. If  that is not an option for you, definitely go to the ABB site and read all the helpful articles on "HOSTING".  I have been hosting for 2 years now and still occasionally go read them for new updates. Especially on new policies. 

9.  Congrats on pursuing your MBA.  

10.  Hope you move past this guy and find hosting to be as amazing as I do!  The friends I have made are PRICELESS.   As a matter of fact, we are currently planning a (SECRET) trip to NYC for my daughters Sweet Sixteen in 2019 and my June 2017 guests are insisting we stay with them.  How awesome is that?!?  Plus our daughters (same age) have become friends to a point that they Face Time with each other every week since they left.   Both are obsessed with Broadway so it was fun to listen to them sing to us. 

Hope my post has helped you. 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Thank you everyone for the advice. Airbnb agreed after looking into it that he did violate their policy. 

Its a leason well learned. 

I appreciate the help! 

@Dana91 You are so very welcome. I hope my lengthly specific post provided some encouraging insight/feedback to you. Glad it worked out in the end. 

If my particular post was helpful, be sure to give it a thumbs up - thanks! 

(Edited to correct a typo)

Aloha, Momi

I have a strict  refund on my  description of the room I have a reservation. The time is a special event that is a popular time for airbb hosts to have reservations. The guest decides later that he did not read the description and now sees that I do have pets and that he is concerned about his wife and allergys.  I have a description that confirms that room available are restricted from any pets entry, including bathroom.  I have had guests that are aware of my allergy free bedroom but the (pets) have freedom to be in the rest of the house.  the guest wants to cancel and understands that he has made this a mistake before with airbb and he is aware of the penaltys.  I feel disturbed and my mortgage is at stake, I am a senior and I have been a host with very good reviews for several years.  Awkward and upset on what happens with this reservation and my rights on no refund.  

@Kathleen125, tell your guest to cancel quickly, so you can rebook the dates. You can promise a (partial) refund for the day’s rebooked, after the replacement guest was here. You will not be paid the money before, so you can’t refund before anyway. 

It’s up to you, if you refund and how much. 

Doreen22
Level 2
Campbell River, Canada

I recently had two guests stay for five nights with the three large dogs who shed hair.  They didn't complain once while they were here but their review was a lot of complaints and claims that simply were not true.  I too, am new to hosting and this is my first bad review.  I went out of my way to make their stay pleasant by putting up with the barking of their three dogs while they left for the entire day, allowing them in my home even when I wasn't here in order to have a shower, (they were renting a rustic cabin with an outhouse and no shower) and bringing them blueberry turnover pastries in the morning even though breakfast was not included.  

I don't know the answer in dealing with ungreatful guests.  Unfortunately we cannot read their review prior to us wrinting one.  Therefore I had been gracious in my reiview of them and not complained about having extra cleaning time and costs due to the dog hair and dirt.  

I would not have them back again nor would I host any guest who showed ingratitude but I cannot change my first review unfortunately.  

@Doreen22 You can comment on their one, but agree too late to tell others the reality.

David