Issue with rating...

Callum18
Level 2
Fort William, United Kingdom

Issue with rating...

Hey all.

Pretty new to hosting. I seem to have a possible issue with a review, or maybe I'm missing something?

So a guest rated me the following:

Accuracy: 5
Check-in: 5
Cleanliness: 4
Communication: 5
Value: 4

Total comes to 28 out of 30. To get the average, I divided 28/6 which gives an overall rating of 4.66. BUT, the overall star rating is showing as 3 out of 5.

Do you think this is a technical issue with the review system, or am I missing something obvious?

Here is a screenshot of the ratings.

feedback.jpg

Thanks in advance 🙂

Callum.

7 Replies 7
Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Callum18

Hi Callum the overall is not an average of the other ratings. Its a seperate option the guests picks, so they would have selected 3 out of 5, which is pretty harsh given the rest is good.

The Overall is the more important one, which is why it's seperate, it's used for the superhost rating, your ranking in the search listings and what guests see as they scroll through listing's.

Callum18
Level 2
Fort William, United Kingdom

Hi Louise.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. But it seems really odd that you could basically rate someone 5 stars for all 6 areas, then rate them 1 star overall. It would make more sense to just calculate the score as an average of the 6 areas.

Thanks again,

Callum.

@Callum18 welcome to the club. 🙂

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Callum18  It's the new review process they are asked a question for the overall rating and do not see the stars. Was the listing: 1* much worse than expected 2* a bit worse than expected 3* as expected 4* a bit better than expected 5* much better than expected. I have removed some of my amenities I had listed, so that when the guests show up hopefully I get a much better than expected rating, this is so sad for us hosts. If you listing was as expected that is a 3* Overall unfortunately. The review is a ton of questions about what's in the listing and huge data mining questions, so it takes a lot longer to do the review now and many are not bothering to review for this reason. Two of the things needed for maintaning your SuperHost status are trip reviews at 50% and 4.8% overall rating this is going to eliminate many SuperHosts which I believe is AirBnB's desired effect to make it more special to be one. 

Louise231
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

@Letti0

I don't think it is. I know there was a discussion going about the new review process, but i think in that post the person missed a picture. I'm pretty sure guests get two sperate questions a) overall out of 5 stars (like before)AND b) the better/worse/as expected question.

I know it looks like it's been replaced from the long thread that was on the CC but i've seen some others that show both. I'm pretty sure guests are still getting the old overall out of 5 stars, and the other part about how it matched to your expectations is an added extra (along with all the 'compliments' and 'amenity' questions')

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

As you only have 4 reviews, and one is a 3 (don't know what the others left ) your average is not looking good unfortunately. You have to hope for  alot of fives coming up, with a low average your listing can be suspended. So Lisette did you no favours. Don't mean to cause any stress or anything, but you need to aim for 4.5 and over which is what you will have if the others left you fives. Your average will show once you have 5 reviews I think.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi Callum: You May want to do what a great number of hosts are starting to do more often. Educate your guests on how the review system works.  Since yours is a shared space you have the advantage of being able to have a conversation with them while they’re staying with you. My listing is an entire house, so I put a brief one page explanation in my on-site guide book Explaining how AirBnB ratings/reviews work.  For the most part it’s made a big difference.