Issue with the property, case with the manager but been 3 days

Answered!
Ali11234
Level 2
London, GB

Issue with the property, case with the manager but been 3 days

Hi,

I have to post this here to see what are my options.

i am an Airbnb host and I have also used Airbnb around the world for my travels.

I am in Miami for holidays and i booked this entire apartment on the basis on - filters - superhost, amenities I need, rating and reviews. The property had 5 star from 5 reviews and the pictures looked good so I thought I’ll book it even though it was 50% more than other properties I had shortlisted.

on arrival I found out the free parking on premises meant find it on the street. Ok fair enough. But then I went inside the apartment and it turns out it is run down condo with broken flooring, tv that doesn’t work, broken blinds, dirty windows that haven’t been cleaned for months, faucet doesn’t have pressure and takes a while to wash hands let alone face, windows don’t shut properly so it’s noisy even though it doesn’t say in the listing. Half of amenities aren’t there.

i messages the host first about the tv and blinds as that’s what I saw first. I got a reply saying the owner will get it fixed (it’s a property management). 
In the morning (within 24hours) I complained to Airbnb about everything.

i got assigned a case manager who asked for proof which I sent all the pictures I took. I also messaged the host about the issues but instead they replied saying “thanks for the suggestions” 

I mean it was a complain not a suggestion! Anyway I am still waiting for the case manager to tell me my options. It has been 3 days and I have even called them and tweeted them. All they say is “case manager will update you soon”

I haven’t been able to relax on my holidays. At the end of the day I have to go back to an uncomfortable place where I can’t relax. I would have never chosen the place had I known. Then I saw the listing had a new review saying “the place is a catfish” today the review has been removed. I have a feeling other 5 star reviews are in cahoots with the property management.

now what I should do? I would like a refund! I also want to move out but I have read not to do it without Airbnb telling u. So I am stuck. It feels like I have been duped by the host and now I am being forced to stay there by Airbnb by not telling me for 3 days! I have 5 days left.. I really want to enjoy my holiday and relax.

what should I do?

1 Best Answer
Ali11234
Level 2
London, GB

Just to update this post, I was given a refund and a £100 coupon to book towards another property which I have.

its a shame Airbnb took so long. I think it was the person who handled it first as he didn’t even report to the host. So the refund deduction was 4 nights rent of the place I was in.. but 50% of that. Not happy but then again Airbnb took time and I had to stay.

but I was given £100 to make it up for the next property. So all good now.

thanks for everyone who helped.

for anyone stumbled upon this whilst looking for help, my advice is to:

make sure to check the reviews of a place before reserving it, see if they are all from a newly created accounts or they are from legit accounts. If the pictures of the property aren’t shown of the whole property but just beds, appliances etc, then ask for pics. 
if you had similar experience to myself then do the following:

- message the host and tell them exactly what is wrong. See what they reply and if it’s fixable or not. Then contact Airbnb support and tell them.

- make sure you’ve taken pictures and videos of the discrepancies. 
- once checking out, again take pics and videos to make sure nothing goes wrong as a retaliation. 

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ali11234 As a host, I'm surprised you don't know this yourself, but you are never "forced" to stay anywhere. You did the right thing by notifying the host first and giving him an opportunity to make things right. His response is lame- now you need to tell Airbnb that the place is dirty, inaccurately described, missing half the listed amenities, the host doesn't care, and you need to cancel and ask them to find you an acceptable comparable place. If they can't, because there's nothing else available, they should refund your $, and they usually offer an additional 10% for the inconvenience, and it'll be up to you to get a hotel or find something else yourself. Politely insist. As long as you continue to stay, that indicates that it's acceptable to you.

In the future, I'd advise booking places with individual, hands-on hosts. These property-managed places seem to be really hit or miss.

Hi @Sarah977 

thank you for your response. When I said force to stay it was figuratively because I want Airbnb to at least acknowledge they are evaluating the case before I book another place in case I am out of money for this and another place. I have told Airbnb about the host and the property and also have given them link to another Airbnb property telling them it’s available and I’d like to book it.

I have sent polite messages every day and called too understanding they might be busy with urgent cases (such as safety) but would like this to be taken too. 

I will call them again and inform them I’ll be booking another place before booking it

@Ali11234  I guess you'll have to be pretty firm the next time you call, that they have been giving you the run-around for a couple of days now, and that the place is so inaccurately described and so much that was offered is missing, that it's completely unacceptable and that you need a resolution on this now, no more "we'll get back to you". Good luck.

@Sarah977  Thank you.

just a question: do you reckon I can book another Airbnb and move out without losing my refund? Is there a policy where only Airbnb rebook a place for you? Because I can book another right now and then the refund can happen after.. just don’t want to give Airbnb a reason to say I didn’t wait for them

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ali11234 

As a host I am sure you know how this works. You need to get on the phone to Airbnb and get them to cancel the  booking. You need to do this so you, or they can find somewhere else.

Have you found alternatives that suit your needs?

I am pretty shocked you have stayed there for three days in those conditions. In your situation I would have been phoning them three or four times a day until they agreed the cancellation.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ali11234  I honestly don't know if that would lessen your chances of obtaining a refund. maybe some other hosts or guests will chime in. It's certainly ridiculous for you to have to wait around in a nasty place waiting for Airbnb to get their s**t together. Maybe contact them again, tell them about the place you'd like to move to instead (if it's another Airbnb), and maybe they'll facilitate that, ie. apply what you paid for this place to the next.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In a similar situation (while in NYC), I called Airbnb and refused to be 'called back'. I demanded a definitive answer to 'Can I book in to a hotel?' (it was 11pm) and was eventually given the green light. I'd be on the phone to them now, @Ali11234, saying 'I'm checking out, how are you going to help?'.

Good luck.   

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ali11234 

Do NOT book another place until you have this cancellation sorted. Buried in the depths of the T&Cs, Airbnb has a clause that forbids you from booking two places at once (yet there are no blocks in the system to prevent anyone from doing so)

I'm seeing this issue come up again and again. If you book another place now, while the original booking is still in place, CX will very possibly tell you that you are in violation of the T&Cs, and therefore, entitled to no refund for the first reservation. 

From Airbnb Help:

"You'll be charged for each booking request you submit, so if multiple booking requests for the same days are confirmed, you'll be double booked and you won't be eligible for a refund"

This is well-known to fraudsters, and is one of the (many) ways they're getting clean away with their bait and switch scams. 

Ali11234
Level 2
London, GB

Thank you @Helen3 

I am in Miami so as much as I’d love to keep calling them, I also have things booked so either I keep losing money by not doing those because I am on the phone or phone them when I can. Also it’s £2pm to call 🙂

@Susan17  Thank you, that’s what I asked the Airbnb support twice to make sure there is nothing like that. I’m glad I didn’t book.

i got a message from the support team. I have been assigned a new case manager who asked me to send a video of the apartment so she can send it to the host. There are talks of refund and if I have found another listing.

i have few listings saved so I will book as soon as I get a green light.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can phone the local US number or use Skype which is lots cheaper @Ali11234 

Hope it works out @Ali11234 

Thanks @Helen3 

I will download skype. Easier than getting hold of a phone here.

the new case manager seems to be on it. I will update soon

Ali11234
Level 2
London, GB

Just to update this post, I was given a refund and a £100 coupon to book towards another property which I have.

its a shame Airbnb took so long. I think it was the person who handled it first as he didn’t even report to the host. So the refund deduction was 4 nights rent of the place I was in.. but 50% of that. Not happy but then again Airbnb took time and I had to stay.

but I was given £100 to make it up for the next property. So all good now.

thanks for everyone who helped.

for anyone stumbled upon this whilst looking for help, my advice is to:

make sure to check the reviews of a place before reserving it, see if they are all from a newly created accounts or they are from legit accounts. If the pictures of the property aren’t shown of the whole property but just beds, appliances etc, then ask for pics. 
if you had similar experience to myself then do the following:

- message the host and tell them exactly what is wrong. See what they reply and if it’s fixable or not. Then contact Airbnb support and tell them.

- make sure you’ve taken pictures and videos of the discrepancies. 
- once checking out, again take pics and videos to make sure nothing goes wrong as a retaliation. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very pleased to hear this is all sorted now. Thank you for coming back and providing an update, @Ali11234 and for the handy tips for others. 

I hope you enjoy your next trip. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.