It's a small world

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

It's a small world

I always look at guest profiles/reviews and I never forget a profile photo. 

I've hosted the same guest as @Ann72, which may not be too surprising because we have homes in the same state.

But two states over in Vermont, I've hosted the guests of @Rubén16 and @Heather133 .

I had a booking from one of @Valerie192 's previous guests out in California but sadly, she had to cancel.

Last night I got a booking from a guest previously hosted by @Inna22 on her trip to Chicago.

I've even hosted the same guest as @Patricia55 in the UK!

All hosts I've talked with on this community forum. It's really a small world. I'll keep this updated as I'm sure there will be more 😀

22 Replies 22
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Emilia42  That's amazing!!!  I was just thinking about this today as I went through a listing related to a forum post and wondered if I would ever see a host I knew from the community.  I never have, although if you give me a first name I'll discover our mutual guest.  So cool you've had so many overlaps with hosts you know!

@Ann72 

Our mutual guest's name is Catharine. She is a chronic now-reviewer and never wrote a review for me or you. So I didn't rush to leave a review for her either, but she was a good guest and you wrote her a nice review back in 2017.

@Emilia42  Ha, interesting!  I’ll check her out!  Did she stay at yours  after I had reviewed her?

@Ann72 Yeah, I hosted her for one quick night last winter.

@Emilia42  I found her and I remember her.  She lives in Portland, and she really loves Maine - it looks like she comes to a different Airbnb in a different town on our peninsula every summer!

@Ann72 That's her!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is really amazing @Emilia42! When you think how many guests have stayed on Airbnb, I imagine the likelihood of this happening is quite small, but it would be super interesting to know how often this happens with people you actually know, such as those in the CC. It does make the world feel ever so much smaller, which I think is rather nice. 

This reminds we of a story that was posted in the CC a few years ago, where I think a CC members shared that they had bumped into someone on the top of a mountain that they knew. I can't quite remember the story, but I will try and track it down (I just remember my reaction was amazement). 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie Whenever I see these host's photos under the reviews on the guest's profile, I always exclaim "I know them! I know them!" It's funny how even when you exchange only a few words with someone on here and you've looked at photos of their homes and read all the great things people say about them, it feels like you know them somewhat personally. 

Heather133
Level 10
Stowe, VT

@Emilia42 I love that you found these connections! And I definitely feel like I have a sense of personalities here. I wish I had more time to spend in the forum, as I always find kindred spirits and great information here.

@Heather133 

Great to see you are still about.

I'll always remember the mice stories we shared... They made me laugh.

As a result I looked up Stowe in our National library NZ Papers Past newspaper archives to learn about your region's history & found the Stowe family history & connections to NZ from the region you live in.

We also have a Stowe in NZ.

To top it off when they were discussing changing the name of Eskimo Pies I looked up that history only to learn about other connections we have across the miles.

Thanks to your mice story.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Emilia42 love your attention to detail!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Emilia42  That's really synchronistic- I could see you getting a couple of guests who have had stays with hosts you know from the forum, but five plus one who had to cancel seems a small likelihood. 

@Sarah977  I've noticed a lot of crazy coincidences when jumping from profile to profile. I recently hosted a guest who had a "guest 2" connected to the reservation. When I went to guest 2's profile I saw that they stayed with a host in Connecticut before making their way to me. When I went to that host's profile, I saw a recent review from a guest that I had hosted last summer! It's bizarre. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia42  That's a lovely story to share.

Have you checked through the Catharine's registered as users of ABB CC to see if she's registered, contributor or a lurker in here??

Now that would be funny if Catharine is & reads this.

God bless !!