Keyless entry, security

Denise598
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Keyless entry, security

I had a terrible situation last night, and I'm trying to see if there is a better keyless entry system to prevent this sort of thing. I have a keyless/number pad lock on the unit. I change the code about every 4-5 weeks, but it is a pain b/c I have to make sure I've updated it in Airbnb and any saved welcome messages....  Plus, my place STAYS booked (100% occupied in March, with 2-3 night average stay), and turns over every few days.  Yesterday afternoon, a young couple checked in. I spoke to them briefly, but they did not seem to want to chat. They did not state their names, but it would not have mattered. I do not greet them at check in 95% of the time.  Later that night, a young woman sent me a message. She said she had just arrived and there was obviously someone staying in the room. The couple had unpacked, had showers, and gone out. The couple had mistakenly arrived a DAY EARLY!  There reservation was for the following night. They had taken an Uber and were downtown. It was a really bad situation, and could have been much worse!  I change the key code every 4-5 weeks. I'm afraid changing it any more frequently would cause more trouble.  I'd like a "smart lock" that would send that day's check in guest a code. I don't want the guests to have to download apps on their phones or anything that assumes guests' tech saviness. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

4 Replies 4
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Denise598 Yikes!  How stressful!

My doors can't accommodate a smart lock, so I use a lock box (MasterLock), and the guests don't mind downloading the app to use it.  Also surprising is that no one has yet walked off with the key.

If I could use the August lock I would - it's so intuitive.

Sorry I couldn't be more specifically helpful!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Denise598 

I have a keyless entry keypad. Nothing fancy, just something I bought at Home Depot for a little over $100. I change the code with every guest. Three to five days before check-in, I message the guest with their code, which is always the last four digits of their cell phone number registered with Airbnb. After I am finished cleaning the space, I delete the code from the old guest and add in the new code. It takes about 30 seconds. I have never had a problem. Actually, this system just saved me when recently I had a guest show up on the wrong date and try to get into the apartment. Their code was not yet programed so they couldn’t barge in on the current guests, thank god.

P.S. I think from a safety point of view it is really important that guests know that they have a unique lock code. And for your own piece of mind. Imagine if you had an actual key that a guest/stranger took with them and didn't return. If you didn't change the locks on your front door, you would never really know if that guest will show up again trying to get in. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Denise598 @Emilia42 @Ann72 

RemoteLock/ResortLock are integrated with Airbnb and can automatically generate a new code for every guest and automatically email it to them at whatever amount of time before check-in you specify. We use ResortLock because it does not require wifi. Have been using it on two properties for 18 months and are happy with the product, though customer support is not the best.

I agree with others that it's really important for guests to know their key code is unique to them.