LACK OF SUPPORT FROM AIRBNB

Sandra768
Level 2
Wanneroo, AU

LACK OF SUPPORT FROM AIRBNB

I HAD TO CALL IN RIOT POLICE FOR PROTECTION - Airbnb did nothing,

A month ago a single businessman booked my place for 1 person.  Unknown to me he and his 'sister or girlfriend' sold tickets to an after school-ball party at my property (it is 4 acres of gardens and a big house with valuable artwork and statues).  I was just finishing cleaning the house and preparing for my guest when the police knocked on my door informing me they had intercepted emails of the huge party.  Buses had been hired, and they expected hundreds of teenagers to converge on my property after the ball. The told me to make a big sign saying 'no party here' and barricade the gates and stay inside the premises.  Some kids arrived that afternoon to drop off luggage they told me they had paid $25 each for tickets and to expect crowds.   I phoned Airbnb for support - who promised to look into it and phone me back - over 2 days later I have not heard from them.

The Riot Police with mounted police and air back up stood vigil to protect me at great expense to our taxpayers.  I had to make signs, make a barricade, move all garden statues inside and cover windows and glass, arrange for friends to come for support.  NOT ONE BIT OF SUPPORT FROM AIRBNB despite their advertising of a crackdown on parties after the Halloween death in America and hosts being inflicted with over $200,000 damage in Australia.

Airbnb used to be good, now they treat hosts with contempt.  We all need to speak to the media about their lack of support and negligence.  I will be contacting the media after the long weekend.

13 Replies 13
Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Dear Sandra

Sorry to hear that. The Airbnb expanding very fast but there resources not enough, you can view their current members about one million. Before the coronavirus issue 8,000 to 9,000 members always online and last 2 months reduce a lot. Now around minus plus 2,000 members online.

Airbnb should deploy Rapid Action Team (RAT) and associated with local government authority. When any emergency issue arise they should solve immediately otherwise the Airbnb reputation will be affected.

I hope in future they will upgrade their service policy.

Regards

Mizanur 

I think Airbnb used to be good and are relying on past performance to get bookings but good businesses can easily crumble if they are neglected.  I fear if Airbnb doesn't do as you suggest and also fails to treat hosts with respect their days will be numbered.  I want to list my properties, I rely on them for income but I am so afraid of dangerous scams like the one I just went through, with no support, I cannot take the risk.  I still have not heard a word from them after my first call on the day of the incident.  3 days now.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sandra768 So sorry to read all this. I'm not sure many will see your post under 'help', perhaps @Lizzie  could move it into the  general 'Hosting' section?

@Susan17 Have you seen this?

I did see it @Helen350, but the host accepted a booking for one guest, for a 12-person house with a pool, spa, sauna and 4 acres of gardens.

It was only ever going to be a party booking, and in this instance, it was down to the host to pick that up, do her due diligence, and get that booking cancelled before it ever came to this. 

And you can bet your life that the police in Wanneroo will (understandably) be strongly objecting to Airbnb activity being permitted to continue in their jurisdiction as a result of wholly avoidable incidents like this that drain their time, manpower and resources. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Susan17 Yes, -Two ways of looking at everything..... And a good example of how hosts must not blindly assume that because they are signed up with Airbnb  that this platform will magically protect them..... Seller beware! 

(And not Airbnb's fault in the slightest, on this occasion.) 

Didn't airbnb announce something about a guest party risk algorithm screening or security scoring after Orinda?

This booking should have been prime to be flagged up.

They did @Elena87, although there's been little to no evidence of all the promised cutting-edge upgrades and improvements being implemented yet, over 4 months later. Business as usual for Airbnb. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'm super Impressed that the police caught this before it happened! Such great work. Cake all round!

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Yes, I would be suspicious of 1 person booking a 12 people house. I agree with @Susan17 !

I am sure the police in the UK would NOT be that proactive! If was me, they would get cake every day!

If you have video footage @Sandra768 , maybe share that via twitter tagging airbnb? I find that they answer super fast there...

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have to say I agree with @Susan17 

I am constantly surprised by hosts with large properties who host remotely who

1. Don't vet the guest. This one was so easy to head off at the pass as soon as the host saw a booking for one from a single 'business man'.

2. Don't have CCTV or have it but don't bother to check it when guests are checking in

3. Accept one night bookings

4. Don't have CCTV 

5. Don't have a local host

6. Seem to think Airbnb is responsible for helping them evict the guest.

Sorry guys your business. Invest time in vetting and in resources to protect your investment. If you see signs of additional guests or a party get over there and get it shut down.

I am appalled local tax payers had to pick up the tab for a business not putting sensible precautions in place. If I was the police I would be charging the host. 

Thanks for advise Susan. It's actually a 2 bedroom house..  one of these bedrooms is my main room that's locked with no entry sign on. the guest broke open the door and damaged, stole  INVADED MY PRIVACY.  South African police are currupt. And I say this by experience and I'll say it in court. Fact: google south African police. 

Debbie Ferreira
Debbie612
Level 2
Pretoria, South Africa

I had 1 guest book my entire house,  my policy states that a guest must be pre approved by me and within 2 days so I can prepare the house. But the booking was just confirmed. I didn't question it at the time - the booking. But what a nightmare. Guest kept delaying arrival time. So I left keys in lock box. I checked his profile status on Airbnb. He is a verified guest. (What could go wrong. It's only to nights.).

Then on second night i realised he disconnected my CCTV cameras. I called and could hear a lot of people. Then the worst, he told me that the owner of the house told him he can stay for as long as he wants. When I got to my premises, I saw my locks changed. The owner of the house and I have a lease agreement, and is aware of my listings on Airbnb. But decided to get a family member to book and then lock me out without any eviction or notice. Now the guest who's real name is not the name he registered on Airbnb and airbnb verified with a fraudulent ID. 

But the damages guest done to property and belongings. Airbnb and there empty promises to assist in reimbursement for severe damages is appauling. They promise to reimburse, but it's been 2 months now. And they still looking into matter. 

Debbie Ferreira
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Debbie612 

IMO you need to talk to the owner of the house to prevent future disasters like this.

If you have "Instant Book" turned on, guests can book without your confirmation:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/523/what-is-instant-book