LISTING NAME

Steve_Wendy0
Level 2
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa

LISTING NAME

Hi - My property has been listed since last year with the name mi casa su casa.(thatch roof) There is now a new listing in our town, with the same name. I feel that this should not be admissable... what is your policy on this ?

(As now when you type it in on google search under our town, the other property comes up as well )  

I do understand in other places, but seriously, in the same town ?! We have worked hard for our status and I feel this is piggy backing and this property is nothing like ours, and I do not wish to be associated with it.

Please advise.

7 Replies 7
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

There are a lot of mi casa, su casa listings on Airbnb (and I do not know their policy, I am just a host and am not writing on behalf of). I don't think you have a protected trademark about this saying and can either roll with it or change your name? But you are the only one with the suffix ''thatch roof'', yes? Then your name is different.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Entering your question once is enough, you have three copies now!

Nothing in Airbnb's terms precludes a host from using an unoriginal title for their listing. Fortunately for you, the title is not really the thing that brings guests to your listing and makes them choose to stay with you - it's your location, amenities, photos, and great reviews. You can change your listing's title every week without significantly affecting your brand or your guests' perceptions of it. Case in point: I've stayed in dozens of Airbnb's and I can't remember a single one of their listing titles. Actually, you might find it to your advantage to change the name occasionally - for example, empasizing the warm and cozy nature of your property in winter while highlighting the outdoor features in summer. "Mi Casa Su Casa" may nicely convey your hospitality style, but the same can be said of thousands of hosts out there.

If you do feel that another host might be trying to piggyback on your listing or scam their potential guests, keep an eye on their profile for copies of your photos or other potentially fraudulent details. If you find evidence that the host is misrepresenting their property as yours, then you should report them to Airbnb.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You could try messaging the listing with the same name to voice your concerns. 

Just a lay opinion but unless your name is copywrited protected, there is nothing you can do except contact the other host. We have many listings that say Home away from home, Cozy and Bright , Sunny and Large and they become a blob of words after awhile. I think the pictures, price, reviews and location are the main reasons people book. I am sure you put a great deal of thought into your name. Interesting question.

Sorry meant to write NOT copy write protected

Just a lay opinion but unless your name is copywrited protected, there is nothing you can do except contact the other host. We have many listings that say Home away from home, Cozy and Bright , Sunny and Large and they become a blob of words after awhile. I think the pictures, price, reviews and location are the main reasons people book. I am sure you put a great deal of thought into your name. Interesting question.