LOCATION should NOT be a reviewable category for a host!!!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

LOCATION should NOT be a reviewable category for a host!!!

I've had a few guests leave less than 5 stars for "location". Guests know where we are located BEFORE THEY BOOK. They can use any number of internet sources to check to see how far they are from a destination they'd like to visit. How is a guests failure to do their homework about the destination of the airbnb they are about to book, something I can do anything about? If I'm a guest and want to stay in Atlanta, and a neat place with great reviews pops up that I like BUT it's 16 miles from Atlanta... is it the hosts fault that I booked and now have to drive 30 mins through traffic to get to Atlanta? 

How in the world is LOCATION a reviewable category? I can do things differently & maybe better for all the other categories (should I recieve less than 5 stars) but what could I change to make my LOCATION better? I've already specified in the listing how many miles we are from certain touristy hotspots. Is it my fault a guest doesn't read the entire listing? 

Come on, Airbnb... get rid of that category. Just like you changed the word "STATS" to "PROGRESS" in the host dashboard... you can chage the word "LOCATION" to something else that a host CAN make better for our guests. 

32 Replies 32
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It has been discussed numerous times, @Donald28, and nothing. In a way, all the listing sites on the market include this rating.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

It hasn't been discussed enough evidently. Let's get together and post to see if we can get airbnb to notice us???

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28   Pretty much all hosts seem to be in agreement on this. I have now taken to mentioning in my messaging to the guest if they have read the listing throughly enough to know that it is a 20 minute walk to the beach, as well as explaining to them at some point during their stay how the rating system works for hosts. I am careful to stress that I am not prodding them to leave all 5 star reviews, but that all the other categories rate the host, while Location does not, and that hosts are penalized for low ratings on this, which they are all really surprised to hear.

I also tell the guests that there is nothing wrong with commenting on the location in their review if they want ( "Beautiful quiet location but single women might want to budget for a taxi if they plan to stay out after dark", for instance), but that all hosts are upset about this being in the star ratings.

@Sarah977you really have no right to speak about such things to a guest. To infer even in the slightest of how they should rate you on location is totally inappropriate. I know you "Super"hosts think you are all that, but that is really crossing the line.

Telling them "its okay" to comment about location in their review "if they want". It might surprise you to know they dont need your permission to comment however they want.

What a manipulative way to get a totally biased review.

I totally disagree with you, Diane.

Hosts can run their business the way they want to run their business.

Hosts can manage their guests however they want to manage their guests within reason.

And there is way too much agonizing and catastrophizing over reviews here.

All hosts musts learn how to handle bad reviews and how to counteract them by leaving a nuanced public reply to the review.

Many experienced hosts turn a dodgy review into a positive with their reply.

Sour much? "I know you 'Super' hosts think you are all that..." Seriously? 

I agree, although I am new to this.  I have had two inquiries that seemed not to understand how far away my location was from their desired activities.  I had to ask them where they would be spending most of their time and then tell them the distances and time it would take to travel from my home to where they wanted to go.  How about a mileage calculator the guest could use to assist in their decision to book? Then location would be the responsibility of the guest and their ability to chose.  

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

If only 3 people join the conversation and express their interest in change... no wonder airbnb hasn't changed it yet. LOL  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28   I think only 3 have joined this conversation, because, as @Marzena4  said, there have already been many long threads on this issue.

I don't think anyone at airbnb reads these posts on community forum, at least not as a basis for change.

I sent a feedback form to airbnb 2 weeks ago on exactly this. If every host who agrees, sends them a feedback message saying the same thing, they are more likely to register that, rather than care what hosts b****h about on the community forum.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

I used to think the way you do but now I realize Location is more than just about how far you are from things. It is also about safety. It is also about noise. It is also about the type of people that hang around that area (neighbors, vagrants, etc). It is also about woodsy as a opposed to open space.  Is it a good place to ride a bike or jog? Despite what you think there are many variables.

For instance I rented someones house. It was a great vacation, I really have nothing bad to say. But I did ALL my homework regarding where exactly this place was, how far from grocery store, activities, EVERYTHING. But nothing I did could have told me that there was not 1 bit of sunlight, not 1 ray of sunlight that reached this house. It was completely surrounded by & covered by trees. One hundred percent shade, one hundred percent of the time.

Again I had a great vacation, but the LOCATION was not perfect because of that.

Edit: the locations for ME was not perfect.

But everything else was!

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

@Donald28

Oh wait, now I see why you are complaining. Because you are a "Super" host.

All "Super" hosts complain when there might be one thing that makes them at risk for losing their "Super"hero status.

See @Sarah977s creative way of getting around the rating system. That might help you by prodding them as she does.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Heck @Dee9 - why so snarky?

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Diane... honestly, I get absolutely no benefits (that I am aware of) from being a "superhost".  Guests don't care if I am a superhost or not. They care that I provide them with a wonderful stay.