Larger Security Deposit for long term guests

Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Larger Security Deposit for long term guests

Hi all. Wondering if there is an option anywhere to request a larger deposit for loner than 30 days. Some of us fall under a different set of state laws for guests 31 days or more. I’m open to long term guest but not without a normal deposit that a long term tenant would have. 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michele511  The security deposit on Airbnb is basically a joke. They do not charge or hold the funds and they don't pay you for any damages without you first trying to request the money from the guest, then if the guest refuses, you have to go on a long song and dance, submitting photos and receipts and argung with CS, and likely still not getting anything.

There are other more concerning reasons not to host long term through the platform- in most places, any stay longer than a month puts the guest into the realm of landlord/tenant acts. You could have a terrible time trying to evict them if you needed to. Especially now in this COVID crisis, when evictions of any kind are pretty much being disallowed.

Long term renting, to anyone you don't already know and trust, is best done in the traditional way- a lease, a real security deposit, the lanlord requiring references and work history, etc.

Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Thanks @Sarah977   Those are my concerns with the current system. Thank you for validating them. 

Now that they seem to be encouraging longer term tenants, My hope is that they add an option for a larger security deposit to (1) discourage those trying to take advantage of the system and local landlord tenant laws, (2) allow US to be the ones to release the deposit, or withhold, show evidence as to why it’s being withheld.

Sonce the virus I am getting a lot of people asking for virus discounts on over 30 day stays that are absurdly low. Of course I won’t agree to that. And where I live they could EASILY decide they want to stay longer and I would have to let them. 

It would be nice to have longer term guests now and then, but only if it was fair and secure. 

@Michele511  The Airbnb platform has never really been suitable for long term lets. It was originally set up for strs- vacationers or people travelling on business and such. The company has far too much control of the money, and makes unilateral decisions, almost always favoring the guest, and doesn't really have any proper vetting system for anyone to trust them to deal with long term rentals. Hosts have gotten guests who had arrest warrants out for them! Normally a landlord wouldn't just rent long term to some stranger they knew nothing about and whose full legal name they weren't even privy to, that's crazy. 

If I were thinking about renting long term, I'd do it privately through some other channel, with all the normal safeguards that you have control over.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Airbnb to make the kind of changes you'd like to see. Almost all of their changes always are to guests' advantage, not hosts'.

@Michele511 

I have been doing a lot of long-term stays thru Airbnb..... and while you may want to use Airbnb as a channel to find guests, I would definitely recommend you sign a separate rental contract that is legally binding and NOT depend on Airbnb to handle the payment, deposit or the contract in the long term.

Airbnb does not do a proper background check and what Airbnb calls a "security deposit" is a joke and not really what most people think a security deposit should be. 

I only hosted long-term guests who were international exchange students staying for 1 semester (4~5 months) - I always asked for their full names, the school they are currently attending as well as the school they would be attending while in Korea. Also, the exchange students were dependent on ME to sign a form for proof of local address when they apply for their "Foreign Alien Registration (mandatory for all foreigners  planning to stay in Korea longer than 90 days, and had to be done within 30 days of arrival) regardless of type of visa" at the immigration office so there was plenty of reason for the guests to behave while in my home. And exchange students all eventually have to go home anyway so I was in a unique situation with long-term hosting thru Airbnb. 

I would NEVER use Airbnb to rent to a local - I'd always choose to sign a separate rental contract and get a proper deposit.