Late Check Out

Gladys15
Level 2
New York, NY

Late Check Out

Had a guest who was suppoed to check out at 6pm.  He didnt reply to me when I asked for key drop off until 7pm (an hour after he had to check out) He told me he was leaving at 9am the next day. When I told him he had to pay an extra night and I told him the rate he said he was leaving and ended up leaving passed 9pm. Is there a way to charge a late check out fee?

36 Replies 36
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have late check out fees in your house rules?

Do you have a deposit?

If so I beleive you need to contact the guest and ask him to approved the amount. If he won't you need to take it up with BNB

No, I can do that?

I'm fairly new to Air BnB hosting. I request a certain amount to the guest so hopefully he will pay.

Don't start any money transactions outside of Airbnb, it will only cause you problems, especially if you are already in a problematic situation with a guest.

I see that regarding check in  and check out times, you only have check in times stipulated  from noon to 6pm, nothing under check out times. To protect yourself, how about stipulating a check out time like 11 am?  Most hosts don't go later than that, and you can always  make special arrangements with a guest, but then it is clear what is expected. You might also rethink your check in times, perhaps a bit later and extending to 8 pm,  like  3 pm to 8 pm? As you have it now, what would you do if a guest leaves at   6pm, but a new guest has booked for that day and wants to check in  at noon?  nevermind the time you need in between to clean...

Just a suggestion, good luck and happy hosting!

How do you know for certain that he didn't stay the extra night? I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, but even if you verify that he returned the key, maybe he blocked the door with something so he could get back in?
You're in a tough spot since you haven't listed a late departure fee, unless you have a deposit from him.

I didnt put in a rule but I will now. Thank you!

I did request a fee from guest but have not heard back. 

Ray31
Level 1
Columbus, OH

If he's still there, you can contact Airbnb to help mediate at Contact Airbnb. They can help with any late check out fees you might have or if he's still there after a while

Fortunately he left late last night bc he didn't agree with the weekend rate.
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Gladys15

If I were you I would list normal check-in and check-out times and allow early/late on request according to your booking situation. This way you would appear accomodating and more likely to receive a positive review.

I do. He just decided on his own without telling me that he was staying another day.
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Occupancy 2 but no couples?

What does that mean?

David

I rather two friends that travel than couples bc I feel they'll be out more. lol

Good luck with that. lol

Never seen such a restriction before, not sure how valid it is? 

David