Late Check Out

Gladys15
Level 2
New York, NY

Late Check Out

Had a guest who was suppoed to check out at 6pm.  He didnt reply to me when I asked for key drop off until 7pm (an hour after he had to check out) He told me he was leaving at 9am the next day. When I told him he had to pay an extra night and I told him the rate he said he was leaving and ended up leaving passed 9pm. Is there a way to charge a late check out fee?

36 Replies 36

@Gladys15, you might be shooting yourself in the foot by not permitting 'couples'. 😉 It's an odd restriction, and indeed might  be considered discriminatory. And how would you know for sure whether two people are a couple or not?

Most of my guests have been couples. Without exception, they've left the house after breakfast and were out all day, coming home - usually very tired after a day of biking or exploring - in the evening, and mostly heading straight to bed. 

I just opened my account and took people's advice into consideration. After reading everyone's advice, I didn't realize how unjustified my restrictions are. I rent out my place when I'm away so I actively live at the apt. This forum has helped. So thank you. 🙂

aye..... so you allow two guys or two gal friends  in your one available bed, but not a heterosexual couple?? me thinks you are inviting trouble.

Two guys could be a couple.

David

Or two gals for that matter, and be happy to share a narrow bed 😉

Well that too.

David

I have an air mattress!

True. I feel couples hang out in apts and friends go out. that's my theory.

@Gladys15

My theory is that every single guest is different and that communication and ituition is the key to find out who they are  !

a

@Gladys15, ahh! so let me play devil's advocate: lets say couples stay in, so they go to bed at a "reasonable" time and go to sleep.  friends? so they go out, come in late, can't find the key hole, let alone their sleep station, stumble over stuff, etc... who you gonna prefer?

and hmmm... what about this: my "coupled" partner is also my friend....how are you gonna know ahead of time anyways about who is friend and who is couple?

oh, we're giving you some grief here...

You make total sense, lol. There is no way for me to know. Point definitely taken. Thank you! lol I am new to this and am definitely learning as I go. 🙂

In NYC I doubt you'll have to worry about anyone spending a lot of time in your studio! I think it would relate more to age, as in seniors might get tired much earlier & might spend evenings in rather than eating at restaurants or going to clubs... be careful of discrimination laws though. Why is it so important that guests stay out all the time? You are not sharing the space with them, are you?

I'm renting out my current apartment when I go away so I'm slowly getting used to the idea of people staying in my space. With advice from family and friends and trying to be maybe a little too careful and paranoid, I ended with way too many restrictions which seems kinda of dumb now, lol. Will definitely change the couple thing now and you are right. People who come to NY don't stay indoors for too long, I know I dont! 🙂

I recently opened my account and friend and family were just telling me horror stories and advicing against couples and children. I guess I got a little paranoid and didnt realize how ridiuclous my restriction is. I'll def allow couples going forward. I would never want to offend anyone.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

It is great to see this is such an active topic. I do feel the discussion is moving rather off the original question regarding a late checkouts. There are some great tips here already, has anyone else got any thoughts on this? 🙂

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.