Late check in fee

Kathie11
Level 2
Missoula, MT

Late check in fee

I am traveling soon, with check in on May 14. The co-host has sent me a message that I will owe an additional 40 euro for late check in fee. This fee is no where in the listing, which states check in is any time after 3pm. We arrive at midnight. I am not planning to pay this on arrival, from reading other comments, this would need to be paid thru a change in reservation, and I would need to agree to the fee. Should I just arrive and refuse to pay? Help! Kathie

6 Replies 6

@Kathie11:

It is against Airbnb policy for hosts to charge for items that are not specified in their listing and all additional charges must go through the Airbnb website. You should contact Airbnb and advise them of the situation.

Waiting until arrival and refusing to pay could turn your stay into an ugly situation. The host may even refuse admittance to the house. I would recommend checking the host's cancellation policy and if you are still able to cancel without penalty then do so. This will resolve the dispute now, otherwise, ask Airbnb to move you to a different house.

Contact information:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/h...

Thank you, I agree with the concern about a possible conflict on arrival. I messaged the co-host that I will not pay the fee, but haven't heard back yet. I then called airbnb to change to a different place, as I feel this co-host is scamming me. Airbnb told me, however, that I will have to pay cancel fees (host has strict policy) if I change. Airbnb will message co-host that this fee can not be charged, as it is not in the listing. Will see what happens!

Well dam! what happened? Song

Host contacted me before check in. Turns out she has a self check in option (key hidden outside apt) that was not mentioned as an alternative to the 40 euro fee. So no late fee paid. Kathie

Autumn36
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I just found out that I am being charged a late checkin fee also.  Our host is considered a “super host” but she’s not even the one that can meet us at the home.  In the end I do not understand because it is not even necessary for a person to check us in. If we could just do it ourselves no late fee. 

Elena932
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I find late check-in fees unreasonable in most cases and just a sneaky way to get more money I  understand if you have to pay someone to let the guest in but can't you use a lockbox? Why make the person pay extra when she's occupying the room for less time.

This really makes for a bad beginning of host-client relationship. I avoid listings with those types of sneaky fees that they ask for in cash. 

Unluckily for me the current host is trying to charge me for a late check-in after 3pm ( my plane comes at 1830pm. ) She didn't mention the fee but she only mentioned checkin until 3pm but i also read reviews that said she waited for guests past midnight even though her listing also says no check-in after 23h. Very confusing but no mention of fee.

Either way there is no mention of this fee so I'm currently discussing it with her. This is ridiculous, I would never do that with my guests.  I hope it works out because I'm not paying 25 euros for less time. That's almost the price of an entire day.