Late payment

Malcolm4
Level 1
Taunton, United Kingdom

Late payment

This is becoming regular; Single nights are paid out immediately but longer stays, therefore larger amounts, take longer to be processed. I am now in a position where the guests have checked out BUT Airbnb are still holding the funds. This is unethical as they have had the funds since the guest booked, they take fees from both but are still keeping the funds.  It is very hard to find a way of talking to a real person about this as Airbnb are great at fobbing off enquiries.

Regards

36 Replies 36
Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

I am having the same issue.  I always got my payments on time and without an issue, but the last two have hung up.  Right now, they are saying they have released the funds, but my bank says it is not showing any pending deposits.  Very frustrating.  And this is for a longer stay also.

How long did it take you to finally get the payment? (if at all)

I have a monthly guest whose payment is a week delayed in "Pending" state

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Do you guys that let people stay for longer, find it worth while?  Or does it just make for more headaches and more cleanup and the posibility of more damage?

I don't do long rentals... just 3 days max.  Seems to keep people from doing too much damage, less cleanup, and no real problems ... so far.  🙂 

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Hi Mike, we have the opposite appoach. We set a minimum in the high times of 3 days as we want to optimize or property's rental time. Otherwise we would get a one night on a Friday which would leave Saturday unrented. We recently had a group of 5 rent for 21 days - it was a business trip for a work crew. They left it spotless and out occupancy rate went way up - we usually only get weekends during the low season. You may want to try renting for longer - Personally, we've seen the most problems from the one night "party" rentals - not the longer terms. Good luck Mike! Kurt

PS: Your property to Amazing!!!!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4978461?preview

From the UK, I really rate this answer.

Kamal7
Level 2
Mumbai, India

Hi,

My guest checked in on January 10th and checked out on 13th.  No payment intimation or payment received by me although guest has checked out.

AIRBNB takes the payment in advance, why should the host be made to go through the rigmarole of sending emails and contacting them on phone??  In spite of doing this, no response!!

Earlier, never had any problems.

Regards,

Kamal

John842
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Totally agree!

I wonder what they are doing with the money? Sounds like AirBNB bank.  There is something dodgy going on and it will "all come out in the washing" later!

I have had two bookings each from a couple, for several months at a time, and Airbnb have delayed payment five times. The first three times, they claimed it was the guests' credit cards, but it was not the case for each of the couples - none of the credit cards had stopped working for any other payments or purchases or retailers. The delays were for at least two weeks each time. On the fifth incident, I contacted Airbnb using the Superhost hotline basically saying that I was going to stop using them because they were not paying out and the money went through the next day, with a one line apology describing the delay as "unacceptable " but with no attempt to provide an explanation . This solid pattern of delayed payments suggests to me there is an informal policy of retaining payments for interest or other purposes. I have had enough of it, it's so stressful when you rely on that money to make a mortgage payment and you have to spend so much time and energy chasing the company to pay out on time.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would call and ask where you payment is, if they say there is an issue I would ask them to cancel the reservation and say that you will be telling the Guest that they have to leave, no payment no stay.

If the Guest has not paid then the sooner they are out and you can rebook the better.

If the Guest has paid then either ABB has to find somewhere else for them to stay quickly and have an unhappy customer or much easier make sure you get paid.

David
Michelle158
Level 1
San Jose, CA

Just happened to me too for the first time. The guest was here for 24 hrs. before their money showed in PayPal. I asked guest and they said "that's weird because they charged me a while ago". 

Airbnb making money off of the float? I left Wells Fargo 15 years ago and have refused to bank with them because of this same tactic. Look what wells has been caught doing since. Refusing to bank with them over holding my money to make themselves money saved me from being further victimized by wells. Google "making money off of the float" if you don't know what I'm talking about. Time to look for Airbnb alternative? 

Lucky for me I think I can match Airbnb in the rental market on CL and just cut them out because there is such high demand in Silicon Valley.

TAGS: Airbnb holds money, Airbnb not paying on time, Airbnb rip-off, Airbnb slow paying. Airbnb making money on float, Airbnb making money off float

@Michelle158 the thing that happened to you "for the first time" is the way the payments system is *supposed* to work every single time.

1. The guest pays up front at the time they make their booking.
  2. You get a payout 24 hours after the guest checks in (which could be months later).

You say this is the first time that happened? What happened all the other times?

(By the way: yes, Airbnb makes money off the float.)

(And leaving Wells Fargo because they make money off the float is amusing because *all* financial institutions make money off the float. It is just part of how they make money.)

I had two international guests for 4 nights at the start of April.  The Airbnb site says payout has  been sent to arrive on 10 April. It is now the 30th, and nothing pending at the bank.  No idea what to do next.  Is there a number to call?

Chrissie

I would call if I were you ... 888-326-5753 or in San Francisco 415-800-5959. When I called after having been told I would have my payment on April 3rd and it didn't come (the money came to them on March 27th), at first the person on the phone couldn't even find the reservation. Then she said that now it takes up to 15 days to be paid, although their website as of this afternoon still said "three days" not counting weekends and holidays. That's the way it's been. Something is changing. Not good. Time to look at the other option? Hmmm.

Apparently you didn't understand. Many people (me included) have still received no money a long time after due date. In my case 10 days after airbnb's own due date, and no answer to my questions. A real mess.