Leaving Reviews is it an option?

Leaving Reviews is it an option?

I would like to hear from others about whether there could be a potential for travellors to move between properties and not leave a review, (if they dont want to face a review from a host) and also not have a bad review posted on their/airbnb site.

I wrote a review for a guest - which actually was OK but a couple of issues.  They did not leave a review, so my review will never be seen or posted.  Does this leave hosts in a vulnerable position when they book this guest - as they will not have the total picture?

Carolynne and Peter

12 Replies 12
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@CarolynneandPeter0 You don’t seem to understand the Airbnb review system. Reviews are posted publicly after both parties have left a review OR after 14 days have passed, whichever is sooner. So if you leave a review for a guest and the guest never leaves a review for you, your review will go “live” on the guest’s profile after the 14-day review period has ended. 

Thanks for clearing up the review process. I was thinking that a guest could trash the place and never get reviewed if they didn't their own review.

By the way, what do the "Level 10" tags mean on the hosts?

@Steve-And-Karen1   Level 10 (or any other level)   is an indicator of forum involvement - it just means the host has initiated or replied to a certain number of posts, not sure of exact number for Level 10, maybe a few hundred.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

A  review is allways posted, regardless if the opposite party is writing one or not. If not, it will be posted after the review time limit has expired. Otherwise it will be posted as soon as both reviews are completed.

More: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2066/reviews#Basics

Best regards, Emiel

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

I totally understand where you are coming from.  I had to guests that never left a review. 

The first one, I would NEVER recommend her (even without meeting her, my gutt feeling tells me that she is a "weirdo").

Matt-and-Clare0
Level 2
Leura, Australia

I find it strange that guests choose who they will stay on the basis of reading your reviews yet when it comes time for them to write one they disappear into oblivion. Highly frustrating if you know they loved it and it was going to be a great review.....I guess there has been a couple of times when I know guest hasn’t enjoyed themselves so I definitely don’t push for a review haha swings and roundabouts I guess

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

As long you do the right thing in your part as leaving a review it does count, don't worry to much if guest doesn't leave you a review back and yes it does affect the guest as long you have the upper hand pluse you have to remember the guest get to busy them self to wirght a review witch Host and guest have 14days to wirght a review, the main thing here always do every thing though Airbnb messaging board safty first and proof 

Your postings sharing the vast experience of your 17 reviews is a constant source of amusement 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Think of level 10 as a form of AirBnb diety?

When I see questions like this I tend to assume that the way the system works is not understood, and of course this is a pretty unimportant issue but there are things that can bite you so spend some time reading up on how ABB works.

David
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Here's what I am wondering...we have been hosting only since late last summer and we just had our first unpleasant- cannot sugar coat it- experience. It seemed to me that there was a bit of an unspoken code that everyone would mostly make nice over reviews, quite understandable and lucky for u,s our guests have ranged from perfectly lovely to perfectly decent until this last group, so it was never an issue.

I don't want to poison our reputation by being overly frank and risking a retaliatory bad review and yet I don't want to be a fink to the community and pretend that these were desirable guests. I don't care if they don't leave a review at all and unless they figure out that it is to their advantage to do so (hoping for the ol' quid pro quo) I can't imagine them bothering to take the time. If I simply wait until the 14th day passes and do nothing will that be a suffcient red flag? They are new to airbnb and I was un-savvy enough to give them a chance- next time I will trust my instinct and decline when my spidey sense tingles. So, new guests-didn't garner a review from hosts- adequate warning not to host them? thanks, Sally

Sally, how would a host know that the guest stayed with you (or anyone) unless a review is left?  If I see no reviews, that just suggests to me that the person has never stayed in an Airbnb before.  

@Sally221, the guest does NOT get to read your review until AFTER they have written and posted their own review.

You writing a frank review will not be the cause of the guest writing a bad review; they will not know what you have written.

The cause of a bad review is everything that happens before the reviews are written by either side, not what gets written in the reviews.

So please, for the sake of the other hosts, do write a full and truthful review of your guest.

A guest not having any reviews is NOT enough warning to others hosts.