Leaving a review for a guest that cancelled.

Answered!
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Leaving a review for a guest that cancelled.

Seriously Air you need to fix this .

Short version.

My guest had to cancel due to not having a tourist tax visa . She was not allowed to board the plane. She was fully refunded as I know  accidents sometimes happen. ( just one night stay)

So this morning I got a please review your guest and ‘be honest’ blurb.

How can I be honest ?  How can I say she observed house rules and such.?

I have opened two tickets on this already this morning and they have both been closed and referred me to a policy https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13?af=120793861&c=.pi32.pkCXthat makes no sense . Yet the team are adamant it refers to hosts and guests.

So do you want me to lie? Because I can’t move forward on the review without giving stars for cleanliness and observance of house rules. 

Can you please point out the part which refers to hosts @Lizzie @Stephanie  

thank you 

Ria 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Never had a guest cancel day-of, but if I did, I would send the guest a message "Hi XX, so when a guest reservation is cancelled day-of check-in, hosts and guests both get notifications to review (in case the guest did arrive and the place wasn't as advertised, so they left). Since you didn't stay, I have nothing to review or rate you on and just wanted to let you know I'm not planning to leave any review, and assume you won't either."

It is such an absurd thing. But no more absurd than when brand new hosts get warning messages about their stats being too low, when they haven't even hosted their first guest yet. Or being warned about being delisted due to a safety issue they won't disclose to you. Or being urged to unblock your calendar to get more bookings, as if you just blocked it for no reason.

It's just unbeliveable that they can even come up with stuff like this. I'd love to know who did.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Dennis-And-Gwen0
Level 3
Mornington, Australia

What possible justification can Airbnb have for this nonsense? Hosts have complained about this for a long time. I guess you just ignore the request to leave a review and hope the guest does too. Is that the only response? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Never had a guest cancel day-of, but if I did, I would send the guest a message "Hi XX, so when a guest reservation is cancelled day-of check-in, hosts and guests both get notifications to review (in case the guest did arrive and the place wasn't as advertised, so they left). Since you didn't stay, I have nothing to review or rate you on and just wanted to let you know I'm not planning to leave any review, and assume you won't either."

It is such an absurd thing. But no more absurd than when brand new hosts get warning messages about their stats being too low, when they haven't even hosted their first guest yet. Or being warned about being delisted due to a safety issue they won't disclose to you. Or being urged to unblock your calendar to get more bookings, as if you just blocked it for no reason.

It's just unbeliveable that they can even come up with stuff like this. I'd love to know who did.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Thank you @Sarah977 Sarah that’s absolutely perfect and I have just sent that message to her. 

Hi Sarah977!

The Air Bnb software is a really dumbed down app and it just cannot cover all the various intricate problems of daily Air Bnb life.

It's all algorithms and automated responses that are totally unsatisfactory, not to mention that I think Air Bnb is often just winging it, here in Japan we are lucky that there is a good helpline although as often with Air Bnb it's all about the card you draw.

Hopefully, things will improve although it took them a while to come to the party about the Coronavirus thing and subsequent cancellations.

Matthew1071
Level 2
Washington, DC

This seems to be completely different than the experience I had.  In my case, I was the guest and my flight to Ireland (from the US) was less than 12 hours from the time I received a last minute email from AirBnB letting me know that the host canceled my reservation for no reason and without providing any reasons.

AirBnB made every effort to remove themselves from the equation so that they are not held liable and refused to:

1) intervene and force the host to commit to reservations I have made a year in advance,

2) to impose any fines and punitive damages for the last minute cancelation.

AirBnB pretended, and I wholeheartedly say "pretended" because it was a staged attempt to help, to help find me an alternative place in which none was available for a "last minute booking", and ones that were were far from where I wanted to be and a lot more expensive specially given that it's a last minute reservations.  Ultimately, I had found a host who, graciously, understood my dire situation and luckily had an available room.   It was more expensive and farther from where I wanted to be, but it was closer in comparison to some of the other limited options i found.

Because the original host canceled my reservations, I had no way to review the host and give him a negative review.  I had a big argument with AirBnB for not allowing me to give a review and their reasons were "You can only review hosts you stayed with".  So the fact that I didn't stay at the host property because he decided to F*ck me up the last minute and cancel my reservations disqualifies me from submitting a review against the host.  What a shady business practice AirBnB.

I reached out to the original host via AirBnB email demanding reasons for f*cking me over like that the last minute and I got a lousy closed-ended response of "For medical reasons, i need to move in into this room" without any sympathy, or details.  Was completely unacceptable and total fluff.

Nixa0
Level 2
Melbourne, AU

This seems to be something new since the last update... I just ignored it and deleted it!

Erica266
Level 5
Ushuaia, Argentina

You can leave a 5 star review as kindnes and explain, and would not be false.
that is what I did, 
I explain that he did not show due to cancelantion of the airline, was also a one night stay. that he was very helpful and comunicative, that i left a five star round due to the kindnes and because i couldnt left blank due to this "glitch"
I was lucky enough that he did the same thing. 
with the system we have we have to work with it. 

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Erica266yes I would like to leave a review but I want to skip the ‘How did the guest do part’  the only true review I can give her is on her communication. Not on observance of house rules or cleanliness. I am not not If she was ‘kind’ she left me with an empty bed to fill 🙂  

@Erica266  Giving a guest who never stayed a 5* cleanliness or following house rules review isn't kindness, it's rating someone for something you have no idea about, and at worst, it could be a total lie. Other hosts could see that the person got a 5* cleanliness rating, accept that guest, only to find out that the person leaves their place a complete pig sty.

If I sign up for some course, yet never attend any of the classes or show up for the exams or do any of the required reading, should the course instructor give me an "A"?

Philani0
Level 2
Durban, South Africa

Hi @Nixa0 has this been sorted from the AirBnB side? I have a guest that did not pitch and I am expected to review them. 

Lisa990
Level 4
Omaha, NE

Guests can review how well you communicated before and anything else related to communication before their stay. And, the host as well. 

@Lisa990  Yes, but the problem is that you can't just skip the ratings that neither hosts or guests would have any basis to rate on. So no-show guests should only be given a review form to rate communication, as well as the hosts.

True.