Leaving a review for a guest that cancelled.

Answered!
Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

Leaving a review for a guest that cancelled.

Seriously Air you need to fix this .

Short version.

My guest had to cancel due to not having a tourist tax visa . She was not allowed to board the plane. She was fully refunded as I know  accidents sometimes happen. ( just one night stay)

So this morning I got a please review your guest and ‘be honest’ blurb.

How can I be honest ?  How can I say she observed house rules and such.?

I have opened two tickets on this already this morning and they have both been closed and referred me to a policy https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/13?af=120793861&c=.pi32.pkCXthat makes no sense . Yet the team are adamant it refers to hosts and guests.

So do you want me to lie? Because I can’t move forward on the review without giving stars for cleanliness and observance of house rules. 

Can you please point out the part which refers to hosts @Lizzie @Stephanie  

thank you 

Ria 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Never had a guest cancel day-of, but if I did, I would send the guest a message "Hi XX, so when a guest reservation is cancelled day-of check-in, hosts and guests both get notifications to review (in case the guest did arrive and the place wasn't as advertised, so they left). Since you didn't stay, I have nothing to review or rate you on and just wanted to let you know I'm not planning to leave any review, and assume you won't either."

It is such an absurd thing. But no more absurd than when brand new hosts get warning messages about their stats being too low, when they haven't even hosted their first guest yet. Or being warned about being delisted due to a safety issue they won't disclose to you. Or being urged to unblock your calendar to get more bookings, as if you just blocked it for no reason.

It's just unbeliveable that they can even come up with stuff like this. I'd love to know who did.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I agree with you. This needs to be fixed. If a guest doesn't stay and a host doesn't host the guest, then neither should be prompted to leave a review.

If they haven't stayed I understand you can get Airbnb to remove their review.

@Kevin1322 Good luck with that one! Only if they mention something like "The couch was dirty." But they never even made it to your country. But they can give you 1 star and say something like "Kevin was a horrible host." (Perhaps because you didn't give them a refund.) I am positive that would remain. It is "the guest's experience."

yup, one guest was unhappy that i only refunded 50% from the payout for his cancelling the reservation few hours before check-in and got 1 star review on everything,  the sad part is that  the guest is also a super host 🙂

Loek5
Level 2
Philipsburg, Sint Maarten

Omg I m new to Airbnb, but reading a super host treating their colleague hosts like that is rather ridiculous and narrow minded...

It makes me wonder and brings bad thoughts at mind, like booking their place and do the same... but changing the world starts with me...

Annoyingly frustrating this

Jayne28
Level 2
Swinton, United Kingdom

Also if you don't write a review and they do it won't get published unless both parties review. So if you aware of any bad review to be had, just don't write one yourself. 

Hi @Jayne28 🙂

THAT IS NOT CORRECT. If only one part writes a review it WILL get published when the 14 day review period is over. Always! Otherwise a guest could leave a mess, destroy everything and then just not write a review - and the guest would then spare him/herself for a bad review. That's luckily not how it works. Reviews are always published. 

@Jayne28 That couldn't be further from the truth. Reviews are published after 14 days regardless of whether or not both parties have reviewed.

Jayne28
Level 2
Swinton, United Kingdom

Really, I'm sure I read somewhere that both parties had to review before it got published as you can't see theirs unless you have done your review!  

Stand corrected, but cant see Airbnb policy on this. 

Hi @Jayne28 🙂

Yes, the reviews won't get published before both parts have left one (the second the 2nd part leaves a review). If only one part ends out leaving a review it will get published when the 14 days of review period is over.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Ria16 

Maybe if all hosts gives the guests that never show up one star across the board (and essentially ruin their track record with Airbnb) THEN something will change?!

Maybe?

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

How can she give me a review also? 

@Ria16 If you got a review prompt so did she.

Did she cancel on the day of check in? Then you both still have the option to review each other. She will be lying also because it will ask her the standard questions about cleanliness, check-in, accuray, etc.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Emilia42  Yes she has left a review but according to the case manager it contains nothing but kindness 😉  So the fact that AirBnB is supposed to be based on trust. It’s actually based on lies 🙂