Leaving alcohol for guests

Answered!
Tina64
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Leaving alcohol for guests

Hi all. 

I've read about several hosts leaving a bottle of wine for guests. While I don't do that, I do leave any alcohol (usually a couple bottles of beer) for the next guest if someone leaves it. I just had a guest leave and I said any suggestions would be welcome. To my surprise, she commented on a bottle of beer that was left in the fridge. She said that if she would have been an irresponsible minor it would have been illegal. That got me thinking....don't regular hotel rooms usually have access to a mini bar? Is it my responsibility to make sure someone is 21+ if there is alcohol in the unit? Does Airbnb have any policy on this? My take is that the person renting my space is responsible for being, well, responsible. Could I get in trouble? Should I be asking if guests are 21+? Or maybe just not leaving the leftover alcohol. I thought I was being generous and don't want to get into trouble. 

Thank you for feedback!

1 Best Answer

You did not actively serve the beer to the guest so you are not liable for their illegal actions.  This is how hotels can leave fully stocked mini bars even when there are minors in the room.  It would be no different if that guest drank that beer and went and punched your neighbor - you are not liable for her assault.  You are not doing anything illegal if you buy beer and leave it in the fridge. Someone under the age of 21 drinking said beer is violating the law.  

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

My guests really enjoy the complementary bottle of nice wine I leave out for them.  No problem in nearly 3 years.  

Don't rent to anyone under the age of 21?  

@Dawn-And-Jerry0  Not allowed under the anti-discrimination policy. 18 is legal age for a Airbnb account. Exception is if you have HOA rules, or other of that type, that state that you can't rent to anyone under a certain age.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

If a guest leaves leftover alcohol, I drink it.  Problem solved.  (Ditto ice cream).

Alex670
Level 2
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I was once  taking my newly arrived guests through my apartment and showing them the mini bar when I relised I'd accidentally left a 3/4 full bottle of (cheap) vodka in the fridge, so I said "help yourself to the vodka".

A few days later when they checked out the guest mentioned he had stubbed his toe and wiped up a spot of blood from the floor. He also mentioned they'd put the bedsheets in the  washing machine for me. After they'd gone I found blood spots on the floor all around the floor and even in the fridge (!) - and of course when the sheets came out of the wash they had blood stains on them as well. So I put two and two together and relised he'd got trashed on the vodka, tripped and stubbed his toe and hidden the evidence. And what's more, this guy was an Airbnb host himself. Incredibly rude.

Sher1595
Level 1
Vancouver, WA

a guest left an opened bottle of vodka in our guesthouse.  I didn’t feel comfortable leaving an opened container in there for the next guest but we were sure willing to risk it :-). I’ve left bottles of wine in certain occasions though. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you not need a license in your country to offer alcohol @Tina64 ?