Leaving review to guest

Tad162
Level 1
North Salt Lake, UT

Leaving review to guest

I have been hosting through Airbnb since Dec2019 and this is a first time I need to leave a bad review.

Here are the things happened with last guests:

1. Made reservation for two but middle of the night increased to 4 without letting me know.
  2. Used guest network to download movie from P2P file sharing (which I get an email from my internet provider that it is violating copyrights). When I inquired him about it through messaging, he simply ignored my message. (I do have a log from my router for proof)
  3. Whatever guests used for skin lotion/moisturizer permanently stained sheets, towel (I had to throw it away.
  4. They keep most of the trash in trashcan however, there were few stuffs still left everywhere

How should I leave a review being professional yet making sure that future host will see and know what could potentially happen?

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tad162  Just leave general , brief comments, rather than details. A bit of trash strewn around, if it was generally left clean, is no big deal, some guests are just messier than others. Comes with the territory. Maybe something like " Extra, unbooked guests snuck in during the night, did not respond to messages, linens stained beyond salvaging. Unfortunately, cannot recommend."

And thank you for wanting to warn other hosts. Too many hosts are reticent to be honest when it comes to poor guest behavior. As a non-IB host, I cannot see guest star ratings- we rely on written reviews.

If you haven't already, really research stain removal methods- if the correct product is used, most stains will come out. I've read that acne medication is one that seems to permanently stain, though.

@Sarah977 , Thank you very much for your input. This is the first time we had guest like this. I tried few stain remover but it did not work. stains are so bad that even it is clean, it is look very dirty. So I have decided to throw it away. (If I'm the guest, I don't want to sleep on it). I will keep it general for the review.

Paul6548
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

If you leave a bad review , they can do the same to you , right ?

Paul6548
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

I had guest leave today , damaged the home , broke 2 doors and a wooden  piece  for decor  .

If I leave a bad review about them , they can do so for me

@Paul6548   The review system is designed so that it is blind- the guest cannot see your review of them nor can you see their review of you until either both reviews are submitted, or if only one party writes a review, that one review will be published 14 days after check-out,. Once reviews are published, the other party cannot amend their review, nor can they then submit a review if they haven't written one yet.

You can leave a response to a published review, though.

You can't avoid a bad review from a guest by failing to submit a review yourself. All that happens then is that you have a bad review on your profile, and the guest has no review from you, so other hosts will not be warned about an undesirable guest.

I can leave a review at the last minute in the hopes he can not respond quick enough

@Paul6548  Yes, that is true, and many hosts do that if they think that when the guest gets a notice that you've left a review, if they know their behavior was bad, they will the write a bad review, simply because they assume you'll write a bad review of them.  But if you get a notice that he's already left a review, there's no point in waiting.

The only drag about waiting until the last minute to leave a review for a crummy guest is that in the intervening 13 days, that guest could go on to book other places with unsuspecting hosts.

Sorry you had a guest who broke things. Do you think he did it on purpose or was just careless and clumsy?

Paul6548
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

Not careless and clumsy , looks like there may of been a fight ,  spouse to spouse  , maybe kids , too , there were 3  kids .

I am kissing his ass   for a glowing review  in the hopes he thinks I am not bothered  , if he leaves a review I will assume it's good and then I'll tel all . He has 34 good reviews and one really bad one .

Is there anyway I can recoup   the money for damage ??

I had people in my place last weekend that left things in a horrible state after just 2 nights.  There were spills and stains all over the furniture and whatever they spilled on a nightstand took the finish right off.   They were nasty to me when I sent them pictures and swore at me and said they were leaving a bad review.   Also they said "that's what the cleaning fee is for".   Even though they were from Airbnb, they rented through my Evolve account.  I'm pretty sure I found them on Facebook and they are also very young, you're supposed to be minimum age of 25 to rent.  Anyway, I have contacted Evolve regarding the problem but how do I submit a review on them to prevent them from doing this to someone else?  I have the Airbnb link to my property listing through Evolve but it doesn't allow me to leave a review because it's managed by Evolve.  Ugggghhhhh, I fear they are going to give me a bad review to be vindictive but I want to warn others about THEM.  

@Kimberly572 This is the problem with letting a property management company take control of your listing. Not only didn't they vet the guests well, you yourself can't leave a review, because the account isn't in your name. All I can suggest is that you write the review you want to be posted and have them submit it, but I don't know if they will agree to. All the reviews I see from property management companies usually say something like "Nice guests" for all of them. Which are useless reviews to leave- they don't help other hosts at all. They don't tell me anything.

BTW, Evolve has a terrible rep- there is an entire thread here on the forum about all the terrible experiences both hosts and guests have had with them.

You're much better off finding an experienced co-host rather than a management company.

Sorry you had such lousy guests.

Sarah thanks so much for the feedback !!!!  You're right about having a good manager.  I had one for 2 years but he resigned from the business.  I see a lot of complaints from guests about Evolve, mainly regarding COVID cancellations, but I really looked for owner complaints and didn't see any.  I haven't even been able to get them to respond to me about the damage and the nasty texts I received.  I haven't had a good experience with them since I started using them in March.  They were "giving my place away" and I told them I would rather it sat empty.  Also, I don't like the idea of weekenders, Saturday to Saturday is what is ideal in June-August.  When Evolve had my rates so low they said they use "algorithms" to establish rates.  I put up a fuss because for July 4th week for instance they rented my beautiful 2 BR oceanfront for $600 for the week when I would normally get $1,800 for the week.   I know it's a tough world we're living in right now but to make it even tougher on people by not respecting their property and then admitting that they have a right to be slobs and trash your house because they paid the cleaning fee is really disheartening.  The housekeeping folks are working harder right now to stay on top of the requirements.  I know firsthand that mine are disinfecting everything and working harder and longer to assure guests are safe.