Legal Name in Toronto

Ash51
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

Legal Name in Toronto

I got a call from Airbnb yesterday.

The rep asked me to change my short/name to full legal name. He did it for me while I was on the phone. It's now 11 characters long from 3.

The recent change in the City of Toronto registration for short-term rental needed to match with the Airbnb profile name. 

As I am known by my short name and many of friends and guests might not be able to pronounce my full name even.

In addition, my returning guests would be confused by my full name.

Can Airbnb make an option for nickname or short name?

Thank you.

10 Replies 10
Toni262
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

This is also a concern for me and Airbnb is not responsive on this matter. I have submitted 2 requests to be able to use a nickname or display name. This is quite common. There is no reason not to allow this. My full name is visible when someone goes into my profile but using a display name is a simple form addition 

Toni262
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Can we escalate this conversation to another level where we can be taken seriously. I have revived no response on this matter other than, my registered name must match my account name.

I don’t really understand the purpose of e community forum if no one from AirBnB monitors or can help so does that mean we just keep submitting the feedback another way?

Thus should be a simple fix - this is adding an option for a display or nickname. Not a huge technical tasks. We just need a resolution in this. What do you think @Ash51 

@Toni262 In the past, I got a reply from a community manager of Airbnb. She said this forum is monitored. Maybe, nickname issue for you and me only 🙂 
Maybe, it’s not so important than other business issues. 

I believe this is quite an important issue which could be considered racists and discriminatory.

I should have the right to use a nickname which is the name I am known by and how I would like to be addressed. If this is not the forum to discuss this or to implement this change then, is it to report a bug or issue? 

I am trying to figure this out myself. My legal name is Keetharni but people rarely use it and I am called Keetha. I want that to be display for people to see BUT I am afraid that they will get back to me about changing it.

@Toni262  The purpose of this forum is that is a discussion forum for hosts and guests. We can all ask questions and usually someone comes up with an answer. We discuss issues pertaining to hosting or Airbnb in general.

I don't quite understand the issue of wanting to use a nickname here. Why?

This conversation is about the use of a " Legal name in Toronto".

Just as I am assigned a name in this forum "Toni262". This is a nickname or display name.

As a host, we would like to be able to use a display name or nickname as a host.  I see that you are in Mexico so this issue does not pertain to you.

In Toronto, as @Ash51 pointed out, we are required to use our legal name or the same name as registered with the city. This full name is available under our profiles. We would like to use a nickname that is displayed in public.

For example, my full name is "Antonietta" and my nickname or the name everyone knows me by is Toni.

Hope that makes sense.

This is a discussion on an issue pertaining to specifically Toronto residents on a policy that was implemented recently.

It is very localised, @Toni262 , which is likely why it is not getting traction. I like what you have done, though, with your full name in brackets on your profile. As a guest (I'm often a guest in Toronto), I would understand what was going on with that. It's a good workaround.