Legal

June10
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Legal

Dear All,

I am the host and traveler

Recently, I booked a room in Hakodate for my sister family of 3. The reservation was confirmed.

But, the host would not except the deal because he may feels uncomfortably for the deal. The reason being is the guest is not the account owner. It is understood and i agreed to swap the room with my sister family, but still the host want to reject for some reason.

Kindly advice if the booking account owner stay in the unit, is the host still can reject the deal?
5 Replies 5
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@June10

It's not like a hotel booking.

Airbnb does not allow 3rd party bookings (only if the guest booking is also going to be in that accommodation) as part of their Trust and Safety policy.

They are strict about this, and if the booking is for guests other than the person who booked, Airbnb does not extend host insurance coverage or help to the host in case the guests are troublesome.

That means you can book an accommodation for yourself and somebody else. But if you are not going on the trip or staying at the accommodation, your sister and her family must set up their own profile to make the booking. If they are not tech savvy, then you could help her set it up.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/380/how-do-i-book-a-place-on-airbnb

June10
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Thanks for your quick respond. I do understand the host feels uncomfortable.

I have agreed to stay for myself, but the host still want to reject for some reason.

Kindly advice what to do?
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@June10

As a host, I have my own personal gut feeling reactions to somebody with an inquiry/request. These impressions are subjective and subliminal, and I could under no circumstances fairly communicate my reason to that person. Sometimes I might even be hoping and waiting on a pre-approved inquiry for another booking overlapping same days to come through. 

There's nothing you can do, really. That's the thing with Airbnb - you are directly dealing with people, their property and  personal decisions. Hotels will take anyone, but also have more rooms and also more recourse to take in case a guest is inappropriately out of line.

Even the Airbnb helpdesk wouldn't be able to assist you on this. Best accept it and move on. 

Padraig0
Level 2
Kerry, Ireland

Hi @June10

I completely understand but from the hosts point of view, it may seem a little suspicious. Not everyone is as honest as you.

I would make a new account for your sister and re-book either the same place or another place.

June10
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

I fully understand what the host is thinking cause I am host too. I declared myself during the enquiry and the host accepted. Haha! No choice!