Let's talk Comforters!

Tom41
Level 3
Houston, TX

Let's talk Comforters!

I would love to hear some thoughts from other hosts regarding the comforter that you provide for your bedding.  I try to provide a balance of style with a budget.  I am currently using comforters that cost me $40 at local budget stores.  But how many guests pass through before the stains begin to appear?  And the cleaning bill (if I do not launder it)  is about $35.  That is cost prohibitive.   I had a certain comforter once, and when I laundered it, the inside stuffing was ruined and I threw it away.  But maybe that was just a cheap product.    Well, I am searching for some new ideas. 

34 Replies 34
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Tom41, we use all white Ikea comforters and duvet covers. We have two for each bed, in addition to three sets of white sheets for each bed and so far have not had any issues with stains, at least nothing my cleaners have told me about not being able to get out. 

They are relatively inexpensive and look nice. I add wool blankets to the top for style and warmth. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I've had it with comforters, we're switching next year to quilt sets.  The comforter on the queen bed has to be taken out to be laundered, and despite that it's 'professionally' laundered, they all eventually end up with the inside lining out of place, so there are bulges and bumps, making the comforter look terrible.  We are on our 4th one in 3 years:  Ralph Lauren, Nicole Miller, Tahari Home and no name brand.  All have turned out the same, some have taken 2 years, some only a few washings.

I don't really like duvet covers although we have those too, they never seem to fit correctly and the bed never looks as good as it does with just a comforter set on it.

We have only had 1 comforter get stained by a guest though, the real issue is the wear and tear from the frequent laundering, which they don't seem to be constructed to withstand.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom41 I have both a thick down duvet for chilly nights and a blanket for warmer nights available for my guest bed. I have 2 covers for the duvet so I can change it out between guests while the other is being washed. Down duvets can be washed in the washing machine, then hung to dry and fluffed up near the end in a dryer. Or they can be dried in a dryer completely, on low heat. The duvet itself I only wash once a season, as it's only cold enough to use it here for about 3 months of the year.

Comforters with stuffing will definitely get lumpy after a lot of use, or if washed.

@Tom41

We have thick but lightweight hypoallergenic duvets for winter months (mid Nov~ early March) which we wash only once a year, at the end of winter before putting them away. We double bag our duvets with a protection cover and a duvet cover. Also, we spray febreze, use raycop, and air them out in the sun regularly during winter to keep them clean and sanitary. This is how Henry and I manage our own duvets as well as those for guest-use since most are not made for frequent washings.

My mom taught me when you do wash them, once they come out of the washer the wet lumps need to be "fluffed and flattened out" before you put them in the dryer. Giving the duvet several really good shake downs and fluffs at regular intervals while they dry really helps to keep them lump-free after washings.

Kelly25
Level 3
Centennial, CO

Since the bed is the centerpiece of a bedroom, I would make it a stylish statement.

I suggest a thin quilt like I have from Target, and add blankets/layers to your bedding for warmth. Target has a number of patterns, colors, and styles that are pretty universally pleasing, on trend, and have weathered well. I have been using the same 2 quilts for nearly 3 years, laundering in my home washing machine without issue. 

This has worked very well for me. The pictures on my listing show one of the two quilts I use. It's also reversible and I use the non-floral, striped side in the winter.

@Kelly25that is pretty much what I do as well and no guests have ever stated any problems or issues with not having enough cover on the bed.  I do have a blanket that is pretty enough to double as a spread on one of the beds, but rarely use it for that purpose. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

The bedding is the most important part of the room to me. Both as a host and guest. I have always said that you can have the most uncomfortable mattress but the nicest bedding and still get a good night sleep. I have a LLBean 100% down comforter which I lay in-between two flat king size flannel sheets on the queen sized bed. I make a "duvet cover" by folding the 2 flat sheets around the down comforter and tightly tucking everything in. This makes it super easy to strip and wash the sheets instead of having an exposed comforter or washing the duvet every time. In the warmer months I switch to a lighter down comforter. 

Gil-and-Silvia0
Level 2
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada

Hi I'm new to AirBNB and wanted to see what is the best option for comforters.  We have comforters now and we aren't sure how often to wash them.  Currently they are being washed every stay but I think it's overkill.  The woman and I are debating on how often to wash them.

I'm thinking of swtiching to duvet covers for so they are easier to wash, but again I was wondering how often to wash them.

Let me know what you think and what is the best option to use.

Thanks,

If you switch to duvet covers, i would wash them every time a guest checks out.

It doesn't take that much time tbh. 25 minutes to wash, and 1 hour to dry. 

We live in the same home, so it's not an issue for us. But I can see how it can be potentially time consuming if you use cleaners (?)

Tom41
Level 3
Houston, TX

Yes, its a problem.  I am always looking for good advice on this. 

Roseline17
Level 2
Fredericton, Canada

Can i use a quilt only, without comforter?

@Roseline17  You can use whatever bedding configuration you want, as long as the guest has a comfortable bed. But you should wash the quilt between guests, so you'd want to use something that is easy to wash and dries quickly, or have 2 so you could do a quick changeover. It's usually easier to wash a light cover that would go over a quilt or comforter, than to wash the whole thing.

Thank you for your response, i already bought comforters but i can seem to find the perfect duvet cover size thats why i was thinking of just buying a light quilt.. i think i will just keep searching for the perfect size cover.. i have lost two of my comforters due to frequent washing

@Roseline17  That's odd- comforters usually come in standard sizes, as do covers. You could always buy some that are a bit too big and have someone with a sewing machine just take them in a bit. Or if you have any friends or relatives who sew, you could just buy fabric and have them make you up some in the correct size. They're pretty simple to make. There's something you can get in fabric stores called snap tape, that you can just sew on for the closure at the bottom- it's fabric tape with snaps imbedded in it. Much easier than putting in a zipper or bottons and bottonholes.