Let's talk Comforters!

Tom41
Level 3
Houston, TX

Let's talk Comforters!

I would love to hear some thoughts from other hosts regarding the comforter that you provide for your bedding.  I try to provide a balance of style with a budget.  I am currently using comforters that cost me $40 at local budget stores.  But how many guests pass through before the stains begin to appear?  And the cleaning bill (if I do not launder it)  is about $35.  That is cost prohibitive.   I had a certain comforter once, and when I laundered it, the inside stuffing was ruined and I threw it away.  But maybe that was just a cheap product.    Well, I am searching for some new ideas. 

34 Replies 34

Really helpful, thanks

@Roseline17  We started out with comforters, but the ones for the queen bed are too large to go in our washer so we have to send them out to be laundered and even then, they aren't really made to get washed every week or more often so we found the stuffing gets all out of sorts...and they don't last.

So, we switched to quilt sets, easy to wash, and if you look hard you can find quilt sets that also come w/decorative pillows, so the bed will still look finished and pretty.  We still have one very pretty comforter that hasn't lost it's form, but once that one finally goes, we won't be replacing it with anything but a quilt.  

thanks for your input, just to confirm do you wash your quilt set after every guest, if yes, is it still in good shape?

@Roseline17  Yes, we do wash the quilts between every guest, and so far, they're holding up pretty well, depending on how long guests have stayed sometimes it's a super quick 5 minute wash, sometimes longer.  One is Laura Ashley one is a no name brand from Target.  

@Mark116  Really the only type of comforters or pillows you can wash without them becoming lumpy are those that are stuffed with feathers. Many people think down/feather comforters/duvets need to be dry cleaned, but they wash up just fine. The best way to dry them is on a line, shaking them out while drying so the feathers don't compact in one spot. Then when they are almost dry, fluff them up with a final short dry in a dryer.

I know some people are allergic to feathers, but so far I haven't had any guests who are. And I have alternatives if anyone needs them.

@Sarah977  I accidentally washed a feather pillow once and it was a true disaster, LOL.  I've just given up on comforters for the airbnb. We add a blanket in the winter and then have another throw on the bed if people get cold. 

@Mark116  That's strange- the cover must have had a hole in it and the feathers were all over? The thing about feather pillows and duvets is the fabric has to be something called ticking- it's a super-tight weave cotton that the feathers can't poke through. Less expensive pillows and duvets may be covered in the wrong fabric.

@Sarah977  Yeah, maybe there was a hole, but yes, the feathers were all over and super heavy, weighted down with the water, it was a freak show!  It was a really old pillow, also.

Dawn162
Level 4
Eustis, FL

I had a beautiful comforter that a guest ruin.  It was high quality and I never got reimbursed.  Now I use quilts/coverlet.  I put two in a room.  They are wonderful.. I also have a couple of comforters that I will use if it gets cold.  I purchased them on black Friday for $20/each.  I started using white sheets.  I purchase them from Target at about $20/set.  So far so good.  

Goose0
Level 2
Dallas, TX

So...I have a "luxe" airbnb condo in high profile area in Dallas.  2 bed, 2 bath.  I have a system where I can accommodate up to 8.  Im recently turning it into a full-time airbnb and have been further automating and streamlining as much as I can for my cleaning crew to take ease and Im building my next airbnb condo.  

I believe bedding is essential.  Not just essential, but it needs to be fab.  Ive always used Hotel Collection Duvet Covers,  a decent down comforter, HC sheets.  For the master bedroom.  For the guestroom a similar framework.  

The issue has always been...theres no way in hell the comforter is getting cleaned each time.   We do a spot check each time to make sure no stains (if so, she washes the duvet cover).   But, ive had good luck with this approach bc my system is:  Mattress pad, fitted sheet, flat sheet, QUILT, then comforter folded down half way....to basically imply.  My comforters are lush beautiful beasts so I think its assumed.  Now if I get a $5k, 2-3 week booking, i will go extra mile with them.  My place averages a $350/night payout.  

Im getting frustrated bc even my new massive Samsung Appliances cant seem to dry the quilts quickly.  Theyre from target, have lasted me 3 years, but now that Im making this full-time and soon another condo, its imperative Im as efficient as possible.  I have spare sheets galore, classed up so top beds get nicest then proceeding...but its a hodgepodge of Hotel Collection and other brands.

Is there a quilt thats easy to dry for quick high volume usage?  What makes me nervous is my new condo, is a teeny 1-1 (650 sqft) in a posh area but Im still going luxe ...just more accessible.  My fear is the stackable drier/washer is kinda weak and what if it takes too long to dry the quilts in the 2 hours ive allocated for each cleaning by my crew.  

Sorry for such a lengthy email, but I try to give my guests the biggest bang for buck while not overdoing it in certain areas.  My bed (i have $1k mattresses always) have always been a hallmark of my reviews.  And my massive tvs.  

But i also plan on averaging $400/night (i get now between $200-800-- groups of 😎 for the big condo and $150/night for small one (which is also 1/3 the value of the big condo).

Thanks!!

Hey @Goose0  ,

I had a side question, what mattresses do you use? 

Marguerite-Marili0
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

I use duvet covers from Target and use this method to put them on! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-a36PqpUxM

Marguerite-Marili0
Level 2
Chattanooga, TN

I use Target duvet covers and ikea duvets (or london fog ones from sams) and this method to change them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-a36PqpUxM

I found best comforters for your need: **

We are excited to this offer customers a wide variety of high-quality bedding collections. This goal is to provide you with the perfect combination of style, comfort, and durability.

You'll love this bedding collection! These is top products, including bed sheets, fitted sheets, bed skirts, blankets, pillows, pillow covers, mattress toppers, duvet covers, quilts, and comforters.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

I always use a duvet cover and put that over my thin or thick down comforters. Cool in summer, warm in winter. In the summer months I use indian very thincoverlets that are decorative and thicker than a sheet.