Level of cleanliness

Sally819
Level 1
Bushmills, United Kingdom

Level of cleanliness

A guest recently left without stripping beds and leaving one bed stripped with sheets and towels mixed up with the bedfing on the bed.

The shower tray full of sand and smears all over the toilet.

I thought this was unreasonable and that she could have at least  rinsed  the shower off and wiped the toilet.

This in her mind was perfectly  acceptable and argued that she had paid a cleaning fee.

I dont expect my guests to clean the place before  they go as they pay a cleaning fee but do think thst my expectations  are reasonable.

Any thoughts

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sally819 We don't want guests stripping the beds as it hides stains that we would otherwise miss.  I would certainly not bring up the rest of the issues with the guest as this just guarantees a bad review for you. Just leave a review and move on if I were you

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sally819  I've never asked guests to strip the bed. Sand in the shower? Smears on the toilet? That's normal level cleaning. Aren't you going to clean the toilet anyway? Clean the shower stall?

Some guests leave a place clean, some not, it's just what hosts have to deal with. In my opinion, your complaints are petty and not worth bringing up with a guest, as it will prompt them to leave a bad review. You should have simply mentioned in the review that she could have cleaned up better.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think the days of stripping beds are a little behind us now, @Sally819 (and like @Mike-And-Jane0 says, we like to know what might be hiding). You also live in a beautiful part of the world...that just happens to be on the coast. 

For the £35 cleaning fee, I'd deal with it. Count your blessings and all that. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Sally819 

Some guests leave our chalet the way they found it and even wash the linens.

Others do not.

I have known people who never even clean their own toilets at home…so it’s not likely that they would clean mine.

I also had a neighbor who bought brown sheets so that he would never have to wash them.

Standards of cleanliness vary. Ours as hosts, however, must always be impeccable.

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

You’ll have to get used to this @Sally819 @I’m afraid, especially if you charge a cleaning fee. You will, it’s just part and parcel of hosting! 
We don’t charge a cleaning fee, so I find it irritating when guests leave bins overflowing, black footprints in the bath and empty water bottles strewn in every bedroom. But you just have to suck it up. I deffo wouldn’t raise anything like that with a guest - just grit your teeth and hope you’ll at least get a good review to make it all worthwhile!

On the subject of stripping beds (I don’t want my guests to do that…noooooo), I had one lady who proudly messaged me to let me know she’d stripped the beds. Great, thank you, I replied, while thinking exactly the opposite. When I arrived at the apartment I found she’d simply taken the sheet off each bed and left the duvet covers and pillow cases in place (for the next guest, presumably 😂). Is this a cultural thing? She was from the US - maybe my friends from over the pond can advise? 😉😉🙏

@Jenny349 "Is this a cultural thing? She was from the US - maybe my friends from over the pond can advise? "

No, just unclear on the concept 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It used to be a 'thing' back in the day, and at holiday camps too (stick Butlin's in your search engine) as I'm sure the video probably won't display (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KRwv1LQvPc

It was seen as a 'favour' to the B&B landlady who was a pretty mean and foreboding character. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sally819  A word of advice, not related to your post here- I see that you have left review responses which speak to things not mentioned in the guest's reviews. I assume they were mentioned in private feedback. When guests send private feedback with complaints or suggestions, they are extending you the courtesy of not making those things public. Responding to them publicly just puts issues visible to future guests.

Responses should be used to correct any misinformation or address complaints the guest wrote, for the benefit of future guests. Your responses appear on your review page, not the guest's and thee guest  you are responding to may never see it.

When guests send you private feedback, respond to that privately, otherwise you are just calling attention to something no one would be aware of. 

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

@Gordon0 

😂 They don’t make ‘em like that any more! Thanks for the link!