Limit on the number of support/assistance animals?

Cord1
Level 2
Hilt, CA

Limit on the number of support/assistance animals?

I've just had a reservation for which the guests brought three emotional support dogs. I know Airbnb's policy on ESAs--the animals are not considered pets (i.e. you can't charge extra for them) and the guests don't have to disclose whether or not they are accompanied by ESAs. But is there any kind of limit to the number of service animals that a guest can bring? If they show up with 10 dogs and claim they are all ESAs, am I still required to honor the reservation? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, 

Cord.

20 Replies 20
Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Emiel1 I have 2 silkie hens right now, there were 3 but we had a unexpected death.  I consider them pets but not esa’s Lol.  We did not cook her, she got a proper burial.  We get one or two eggs almost every day now and they’re 4 years old as of March.  Commercially chickens aren’t “kept” after they begin their first molt since they won’t produce eggs until their feathers are grown in.  Most people don’t know chickens are a one hole factory and that eggs come out the same place as poop.  I have a feeling this “esa” things is going to keep rearing  its ugly head a lot.  I too am disabled.  I also have a good friend who scammed the system to get her Pomeranian into a no pets apartment complex and onto a plane several times.  She would say the same thing about how clean he was and well behaved but he dribbled and she knew it and lied about it at the apartment complex. He ruined the carpet and she had to pay for it.  Airbnb will not pay for anything let alone pet damage.  Yvonna (cohost)

Darja0
Level 2
Denver, CO

Was there ever a clear answer from Airbnb? I had a guest last weekend who showed up with NINE animals. 2 cats, a dog, a rat, 2 guinea pigs, a rabbit, a bird, and a gecko. She told me ahead of time she'd be bringing 2 cats, and would be crating them except for 4 hours a day that they would need to stretch. She even said "I am also an Airbnb host so I know how stressful it can be when people bring pets, and wanted to be up front about it so there are no surprises!" And then showed up with 7 surprises. Called Airbnb as soon as I saw all the animals, Airbnb told me over the phone I could charge a fee or kick her out since  I clearly state in my rules that I must be informed of any animals ahead of time. Now the guest is claiming they were "support animals" and Airbnb won't do anything. This is absolutely ridiculous. 

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Darja0   Join the Facebook blacklist group and name the guest there.  Aside from being a complete jerk of a guest in my opinion she’s probably mentally ill as well and I would want to know if she was trying to book with me.  And please please review her!  Yvonna (cohost)

Thanks! I didn't know about the group, just sent a request to join! 

Ginger118
Level 2
Granbury, TX

@Cord1

I had a guest bring three emotional support cats to my no pets allowed listing. I contacted airbnb to see if there is a limit and the response was... "Unfortunately there is no limit on the amount of assistance animals that a guest can have."

Michael5708
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

Abnb should allow host to charge a per night fee for pets. Same as an additional guest fee. Not a set fee that is spread across the length of stay.  Per pet , per night.!  This would limit the number or pets they bring.  ESA and Service animals should also be allowed to charge the same fee.  Humas pay per head why not animals?  I am a dog owner and i travel extensively with her.  I would not be upset if i had to pay extra.   How do we petition abnb to install a per pet limitation selection and a per night fee for pets?