Linen ready

Answered!

Linen ready

I set up my townhouse to be linen ready.  The  kitchen and bathroom towels seem to disappear and I have had to purchase more.  How do hosts and your guests feel about having to provide their own linens?

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Margaret1031   Growing up on the East Coast, beach rentals were typically "Bring your own" or you could rent linens from the realtor.  That is not the case anymore for hosts who are offering  their properties on the OTAS.  Linens are now expected/required and our homes should be guest ready.

You can purchase decent towels and linens from Sam's Club, Overstock.com and other bulk outlets.  When making up the kitchen and bathrooms, leave only as many towel sets as you have registered guests.  Do not leave a stocked linen closet, especially if your guests have access to a washer and dryer in your property.  Expect to lose towels -- probably 1 for every 4 rentals.  Have utilitarian kitchen towels;  being on a golf course they are probably being grabbed to wipe off clubs and left in the golf bag.  

I consider towels to be consumables -- as are the pillows, coffee cups and forks that walk away.  I budget for their replacement.  

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Margaret1031 

These are the costs of doing business. Include them in your pricing. Linens will sometimes disappear or will be stained unrecoverable.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Margaret1031  I don't know what you mean by "linen ready". Provide as many towels and linens as you assess will be needed for the number of people and the length of stay. Don't leave stacks of clean stuff. 

There are a few areas where guests providing their own linen and towels is traditional, there seem to be a number of beach cottages on the east coast of tbe US that operate like that, but for the main, sheets and towels are a basic provision when you are hosting.

That is exactly what I mean by linen ready.  The guests are provided with bed linen and towels.

@Margaret1031  Guests are provided with linen and towels in almost all listings. It's considered to be a basic amenity, like toilet paper and soap.

I can't imagine not providing that. Guests don't generally expect to bring bedding and towels and certainly anyone who is isn't driving to a listing couldn't bring it.

I don't know why guests are stealing your towels. I know it happens to some hosts very occasionally but I've never had that happen.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Margaret1031   Growing up on the East Coast, beach rentals were typically "Bring your own" or you could rent linens from the realtor.  That is not the case anymore for hosts who are offering  their properties on the OTAS.  Linens are now expected/required and our homes should be guest ready.

You can purchase decent towels and linens from Sam's Club, Overstock.com and other bulk outlets.  When making up the kitchen and bathrooms, leave only as many towel sets as you have registered guests.  Do not leave a stocked linen closet, especially if your guests have access to a washer and dryer in your property.  Expect to lose towels -- probably 1 for every 4 rentals.  Have utilitarian kitchen towels;  being on a golf course they are probably being grabbed to wipe off clubs and left in the golf bag.  

I consider towels to be consumables -- as are the pillows, coffee cups and forks that walk away.  I budget for their replacement.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lorna170 @Margaret1031   If towels are being used to wipe off clubs, or wipe muddy dog paws in a pet friendly home, etc. it's a good idea to have a pile of "junk" towels somewhere that guests are informed of. Clean, but threadbare or stained, that guests can use for such things. All may not refrain from using the good towels, but many will if they are provided.